WC: Who was Nicholson talking about?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There are also many European players who will say "No" to their teams, it's really a myth that they are all rushing to join their national teams for the World Championships.

observerspb*

There are also many European players who will say "No" to their teams, it's really a myth that they are all rushing to join their national teams for the World Championships.
do not say that you do not know

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
It really bothers me when players pass up invitations to play internationally. It seems like Canadians just don't care -- look at Russia... their players instantly hop on a plane and come over EVEN if they're injured just because they love their country so much. Would be nice if our Canadian players could be even half as patriotic as the Russians.

I remember 10-15 years ago when people were saying the reverese.

Older Russian players did not get along well with the coaching hiarchy. Larionov practically considered it (well, a number of things) as human rights violations.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
The point isn't to just have the best team on paper, it's to have close to as strong a team as we can. The players who went were clearly good enough to win, but the team easily could have been better wth different players.

People do have to keep in mind that a few small bounces and Canada would have played Finland in the semis and been guaranteed a medal game. The line between winning and losing is very thin in hockey. A long term trend is one thing, but two years without a medal (especially with the roster last year) isn't something to get worked up about.

LMAO!!! Do you really think canada would have won Finland?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This team was too young to start off and way too inexperienced. And way too many Leafs on the team. That alone poisoned our chances. ;)

Not a single Canadian Maple Leafs player ignored the call. Not much impressed me with the end of this tourny, but I was pretty proud of that fact.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
You guys are fools if you think he's pissed at Corey Perry of all people for not coming. That's probably the last person he's mad about for not coming. It's younger guys who expect they have a shot at making the next Olympic team without answering the call. Like Letang, Price, Subban, Marc and Jordan Staal, Benn, Cam Ward.

There's no way if you're under 30, have a contract in hand and relatively healthy that you should be refusing an invitation.

The goalie position is one to really look at since there are two spots for '14 behind Luongo that need to be filled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad