Who was better Cantona or Bergkamp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I did, but frankly, Cantona had more impact. He was the first foreign player to really establish himself as the dominant player. He won it all in England with a bunch of kids around him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, it does IMO. He had the toughest route. And didn't have the Henrys and Vieiras around him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, that's only because Jacquet thought nobody should could ZZ himself. Cantona was an excellent NT player until ZZ thought he'd rather have his own friends.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, it does IMO. He had the toughest route. And didn't have the Henrys and Vieiras around him.

The second part is a legitimate argument. But being the first foreign player to establish himself doesn't mean much to me. Especially because he wasn't.

And he had Giggs, Bruce, Ince, Schmeichel, Hughes, Keane, etc around him. And yeah, they were kids, but they were some damn good kids

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, that's only because Jacquet thought nobody should could ZZ himself. Cantona was an excellent NT player until ZZ thought he'd rather have his own friends.

Well France kind of sucked during Cantona's hey day. Failed to make the World Cup for example.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The second part is a legitimate argument. But being the first foreign player to establish himself doesn't mean much to me. Especially because he wasn't.

And he had Giggs, Bruce, Ince, Schmeichel, Hughes, Keane, etc around him. And yeah, they were kids, but they were some damn good kids

His comeback season after the ban alone wins him this argument. Few players have dominated a season as well as he when it came to winning games. Back then, EPL was still on free tv channels on Saturdays in Finland and I remember more than a few United games that they were having all sorts of issues until King Eric scored the winner.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
His comeback season after the ban alone wins him this argument. Few players have dominated a season as well as he when it came to winning games. Back then, EPL was still on free tv channels on Saturdays in Finland and I remember more than a few United games that tehywere having all sorts of issues until King Eric scored the winner.

Yeah, I have no issue admitting that I have no idea in terms of what was happening then, but looking at names, it wasn't like he was surrounded by nobodies.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I did, but frankly, Cantona had more impact. He was the first foreign player to really establish himself as the dominant player. He won it all in England with a bunch of kids around him.

I'm with you here. Eric Cantona was "special", but he was an impact player. Not that Dennis Bergkamp wasn't good, but he wasn't a leader like Cantona was.
First impact player was Ardiles in my books. He had a hard time during the Falkland crisis afaik.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Cantona more talented?

Meh, I'm biased so I'll abstain from the conversation buuuuuut:

I love excuses to post this goal anyway.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Tough one but Bergkamp for me because he had more impact on his NT than Cantona. And I think both had similar impact for their respective clubs. Also, Bergkamp is more likeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad