Who to take 3rd overall

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
I'm really baffled how Couturier is falling so much on all the lists. He seems like a really safe pick with a good frame and offensive potential. If all he's missing is a wow-factor, I don't see a problem there.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
I'm really baffled how Couturier is falling so much on all the lists. He seems like a really safe pick with a good frame and offensive potential. If all he's missing is a wow-factor, I don't see a problem there.

Look at his recent play off performances. Then look at Huberdeau's. Murphy is lighting it up at U18, Larsson will probably play WC. Add fact that he's not even comparable to RNH in terms of talent. Couturier is not bad player, but he does nothing to improve his draft stock. Other players do and that's why he's sliding down through rankings.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
There's a solid top 5 prospects that you names and each one has the skils that might be more attractive to one team or another and it's possible that the top 3 teams all might have a different order of preference.

1. Rumors are that people high up in Edmonton have commented that they felt RNH had vision on the ice unseen since gretzky. That's saying alot and if true, how could they pass on that?

2. Colorado seems set at center so they're likely looking for a wing or dman. Larson is highly ranked but Col just added fromer #1 overall pick dman, Eric Johnson, and have some solid prospects in Elliot and Barrie. Trading a tough winger this year, many think they could opt for the intangibles of toughness, leadership and all around offensive ability of a guy like Landeskog. I think that Huberdeau coold work his way into that mix mainly because he has been unstoppable and is currently playing wing. Colorado went a bit off the charts and took Joey Hishon earlier than expected last year so it's quite possible that if they like Huberdeau, he could rise up as high as second overall but my bet is on Landeskog as he's a safe bet and I think would slot in very well with Duschene.

3. While Larsson might be the BPA here, Florida is solid on D with Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby, and Robak but they are desperately in need of offense. While they drafted a sizeable center in Nick Bjustead last year, I'm not sure he makes the big club and they could be looking for someone who could step right in. I think it's conceivable that they opt for the possible exciting player in Huberdeau with game breaking ability or also could see the type of production from Couturier on a team where he is expected to carry the load offensively, as he likely would in Florida. I think they go with Couturier who also fits the mold of what Dale Tallon likes.

4. To be honest, as a NJ fan, I want Larsson as we've been lacking a guy like him but we do have some solid defensive prospects in Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, and Burlon and young guys like Fayne and Taormina, who played well his year. We would probably be looking at the front lines and could use a center or possibly a RW bu if Larsson is available at #4, he's too good to pass up and let fall to the Islanders who are probably looking D. If Larsson goes earlier, than NJ will take the BPA out of Couturier, Landeskog, and Huberdeau, whichever are available.

5. With young players already in the NHL in Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, and Moulson and some offensive/2 way dmen in DeHaan and Hamonic, I think the Islanders are going for a defenseman. Huberdeau or Couturier as well as Strome could be available but I think the Islanders go with Dougie Hamilton who is a big, tough, good skating d-man who brings exactly what the Islanders have been lacking from the back line. I just can't see them passing up on him.

Other thoughts...Ottawa, dropping to 6th. If they aren't able to move up to get Landeskog (especially if taken by Colorado), will go with Strome or Huberdeau as I've heard they weren;t crazy about SC. Atlanta will go offense taking whichever of the centers are left, likely Strome. Columbus is probably will go defense and as Hamilton is gone, will select either Ryan Murphy, Nathan Beaulieu or Duncan Siemans, but my bet is with Murphy. Boston will also look to D and Siemans the likely pick. Wrapping p the top 10, Minnesota is the site of the draft and will make a splash by going a little of the board by picking sJoel Armia, another Finn, to lay with Mikael Granlund, who is on the smallish side although they also could opt for the big American kid, Brandon Saad. Coloardo, having selected a forward with #2, uses StLouis' pick on the steady two way dman in Nathan Beaulieu. Carolina - Armia or Saad, Calgary - Mika Zibanejad or Mark McNeil. Dallas takes Mika if he's still around, otherwise, could go of teh boards for the big 6'7" D-man in Jamie Oleksiak as they need both center and Defense.

I don't think positional need is going to factor much into who anybody in the top 5 drafts. If experience is anything to go by, everybody is going to take whoever they see as BPA. Which unfortunately makes most of the above rather redundant.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Joachim Nermark, a very underrated Swede.

why would you even say is name when where talking about a top 3 pick. That's such a dumb comment. maybe in the late 3rd or 4th and even5th round pick. But cmon dude at 3rd overall pick.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
No, i'm serious dude. U guys should take him third overall.

Nermark will probably be a 2nd round pick, maybe by some miracle he sneaks into the late 1st round, but there's no way he's going to be in consideration for 3rd overall. I think you need to read up more on this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->