Who to keep: Khabi or Danis?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Khabi starts a game this season, I'm willing to make a substantial bet he ***** the bed and loses the game for the Oilers. I think too many people are focused on what he is on paper, and not enough at who he is in reality getting a late start, coming off an injury, etc etc etc.

Well he did miss 60 games at the end of 10-11 and then started real hot in 11-12.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Well he did miss 60 games at the end of 10-11 and then started real hot in 11-12.

Yeah, but what's more relevant right now, the way he started last year or the way he finished last year? Because he was gawd awful after his hot start last year. Not a rhetorical question... with Khabi you never can know what you're going to get. I think the running theory here, and among the coaching staff, is that the less he plays the better he is?

David Staples ‏@dstaples
+1 RT @JonathanWillis: I'd honestly feel more confident with Danis in the #2 role than I do with Khabibulin there. #Oilers

Well, nice to know I'm not alone here, even if the Oilers obviously disagree. I'm holding this one to Chabot though... if Khabi comes through, credit to him, but just the same if it goes the other way.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, but what's more relevant right now, the way he started last year or the way he finished last year? Because he was gawd awful after his hot start last year. Not a rhetorical question... with Khabi you never can know what you're going to get. I think the running theory here, and among the coaching staff, is that the less he plays the better he is?

Well, nice to know I'm not alone here, even if the Oilers obviously disagree. I'm holding this one to Chabot though... if Khabi comes through, credit to him, but just the same if it goes the other way.

Like I said earlier it's not just about on ice play, because lets be honest Bulin and Danis aren't going to see a lot of action. Bulin is a mentor to Dubnyk, he helped PRV his rookie year and I suspect he's still helping younger players.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Like I said earlier it's not just about on ice play, because lets be honest Bulin and Danis aren't going to see a lot of action. Bulin is a mentor to Dubnyk, he helped PRV his rookie year and I suspect he's still helping younger players.

If you say so... are you a locker room attendant for the Oilers or did you pick this out of one scene from Oil Change?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you say so... are you a locker room attendant for the Oilers or did you pick this out of one scene from Oil Change?

Jason Strudwick talked about it on the radio last week, but I assume you wouldn't take a former player's word either.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
For the role of a backup...I dunno I'd probably take the guy with close to 800 Regular Season NHL games and a Stanley Cup over the guy with 51 NHL games.
You mean the guy who started playing in the NHL sometime during the Paleozoic era and has had more surgeries than a runway model? That guy?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
If Khabi starts a game this season, I'm willing to make a substantial bet he ***** the bed and loses the game for the Oilers. I think too many people are focused on what he is on paper, and not enough at who he is in reality getting a late start, coming off an injury, etc etc etc.

I think he'll play at least as well as dubnyk does. it's not like DD is having a great start to the year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think he'll play at least as well as dubnyk does. it's not like DD is having a great start to the year.

Exactly. What if Khabi comes in and can start 6 to 8 games over the season. Maybe he wins 1 or 2 Dubnyk would have lost and forces Dubnyk to up his game ... giving us 1 or 2 more wins than would otherwise be expected?

Definitely on the high end of expected outcomes this season, but not totally unbelievable.

Might make the difference of squeaking into the playoffs.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Dubnyk plays bad or gets injured who are you more confident with? Danis of Khabi? It's Khabi.. Not close. Send Danis down, if he gets claimed oh well. Khabibulin's going to be gone by the end of the year anyways.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Danis goes down. No brainer.

As bad as the Khabi signing was, Dubnyk is going to get 8-9/10 starts this season. Danis will easily clear waivers - what team needs an NHL back-up right now that doesn't already have there own no.3 guy to fill a short-term need?

bardfromedson

Jul 30, 2010
there is no way khabbi isnt ready to go if the oilers are risking putting yann on waivers to get him to the minors. if he wasnt ready to stop the puck better than yann they wouldnt be doing this move yet. tamby is stubbern to have kept khabby around this long but they wouldnt set him up to fail either. if he is busted for the year they would of kept him on LTIR and tried to find a better option than yann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad