Who to keep: Khabi or Danis?

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Word is that Khabi is ready to go:

“I feel pretty good in practice now, I guess whenever there’s a chance to start again, I’ll probably be able to do that,” said Khabibulin. “But it’s tough to tell just with practice. That’s why usually we get to have exhibition games to really tell where we’re at.

“We don’t have that luxury this year, unfortunately. I’m just hoping that whenever I get to play, the mistakes I make during the game, I can keep working on while winning games.”

“With timing it’s hard to really know when you’ll be ready,” said Khabibulin. “The game is being played at a faster pace. Whenever I get to play, the first, probably 10 minutes to a period, is going to be an adjustment period. Hopefully there isn’t too much damage done.”
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/...khabibulin-figures-hes-almost-ready--to-start

Sounds confident. :shakehead So if you're the GM, do you use Khabi to relieve Dubnyk and send Danis through waivers to OKC, or do you do something weird and send Khabi down instead, since it's the last year of his contract?

Ignore salary for this question and just what you think is best for the Oilers and this season...

Last edited:

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
My own response to my own question... if we keep Khabi, I am expecting him to absolutely fall apart this year. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but I have very very low expectations of him at this stage in his career, with no pre-season, and getting a late start. You saw all these goalies around the league having bad starts to the season because they weren't ready to go, I can't imagine what would happen to Khabi playing in an NHL game right now. It's his own fault. As a professional, he's expected to find a way to be ready to win. I would feel no pitty for him if he gets sent to the AHL.

Danis on the other hand has been a good soldier and is ready to go after playing in OKC. He is our best bet to win games in my mind. I'm not just basing this off the 2 periods in the SJ game (when SJ took their foot off the gas), but last season as well, where he always played well when he was called upon. And of course his OKC record speaks for itself even though he wasn't outstanding to start this season. The fact of the matter is, he's ready to go, and I simply trust him more right now. The man deserves an NHL pay cheque.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does Danis have to clear waivers to go back? In the past if you had an injuried player you had emergency callup and a player didn't have to clear waivers to go back down. Not sure what the rules are now. Either way they'll be keeping Bulin, DD likes him and apparently Bulin is quite the influence in the locker room. I didn't realize that PRV's first year that Bulin helped him along.

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I do not believe Danis is an emergency call up, and so I suspect he has to clear waivers. I also suspect that, this time, he doesn't make it. I think one of the 29 other NHL teams will recognize he's a pretty good option for a backup.

Goalies are very often late bloomers... I'm not sure why it's so continuously ignored that despite his age, Danis might just be coming into his own as a decent backup option.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do not believe Danis is an emergency call up, and so I suspect he has to clear waivers. I also suspect that, this time, he doesn't make it. I think one of the 29 other NHL teams will recognize he's a pretty good option for a backup.

Goalies are very often late bloomers... I'm not sure why it's so continuously ignored that despite his age, Danis might just be coming into his own as a decent backup option.

How about the fact that he struggled at the AHL level this year?

I will be shocked if they take Danis over Bulin, especially given all the behind scenes stuff Bulin is said to do.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dont want to see Danis starting games for us.. Khabi despite all the concerns surrounding him is the better option..

I think we should send him down to OKC for a weekend on a conditioning stint..

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
How about the fact that he struggled at the AHL level this year?

OKC has had HORRIBLE defense the first half of this year. I don't hold that against him. He wasn't stealing games, but I think his record last year trumps this year.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
For the role of a backup...I dunno I'd probably take the guy with close to 800 Regular Season NHL games and a Stanley Cup over the guy with 51 NHL games.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
For the role of a backup...I dunno I'd probably take the guy with close to 800 Regular Season NHL games and a Stanley Cup over the guy with 51 NHL games.

also the guy who you're stuck paying big bucks regardless of which bench he sits on.
besides. I want a russian to help mentor Yak.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I like Danis, Khabi is unfortunately probably the better option. His starts should be very limited, though, because I'm ready to drop him like nobodies business once his contract's up at the end of this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So here's my question. Bulin is this close to returning why pick up Toivnen? Now we seem to be with too many goalies.

Unless Danis has no intentions of going back to OKC and the Oilers know that someone will pluck him for waivers.

Something doesn't add up.

OilerNut*

As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I like Danis, Khabi is unfortunately probably the better option. His starts should be very limited, though, because I'm ready to drop him like nobodies business once his contract's up at the end of this year.

I'm guessing he retires after this season.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
So here's my question. Bulin is this close to returning why pick up Toivnen? Now we seem to be with too many goalies.

Unless Danis has no intentions of going back to OKC and the Oilers know that someone will pluck him for waivers.

I agree, something seems odd about the whole situation.

OilerNut*

I really can't see someone picking up Danis. How is he better than any other goalie that teams have?

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not looking at $$, its not even close. Even at his age, Khabibulin can win a game on his own. If you look at $$ then its a different story, but since this is the last year of that contract $$ is not an issue for the Oilers.

Come playoff time, and I think the Oil will make it, I would much rather see Khabibulin on the bench (starting) that Danis.

Also, I am not sold on Dubnyk at all.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I just thought of the same thing. Only reason Tovinen was probably picked up was probably because Danis might be lost.

Then again, he may also not get picked up due to his AHL salary

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You keep Khabby, he's likely the better of the 2 at the NHL level, and love him or hate him, he's a veteran with a TON of experience in ALL situations in this league, that will likely prove valuable to this still very young team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really can't see someone picking up Danis. How is he better than any other goalie that teams have?

So the question is why pick up a guy that doesn't want to be in the ECHL a week ago? You don't want Roy and Bunz splitting time in Stockton, I wouldn't think.

OilerNut*

So the question is why pick up a guy that doesn't want to be in the ECHL a week ago? You don't want Roy and Bunz splitting time in Stockton, I wouldn't think.

Just as insurance in case Khabi wasn't ready to come back?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Just as insurance in case Khabi wasn't ready to come back?

My best guess is for 3 different reasons.

1. Habby just couldn't come back; Gives you Depth so both Bunz and Roy are starting

2. If, when Habby's back (today), Danis is claimed on waivers by a team who's desperate; see the Leafs, Flyers (maybe Yotes or Caps)

3. If all became "right" with the Oilers goaltending depth, ie; Bunz to Stockton, Roy and Danis in OKC, Habby healthy, they would probably Either; loan him to another AHL or let him go back to Finland and bring him to camp next season.

Reason 3 makes the most sense, as if they let Danis go after this season and when Habby retires or goes to the KHL (or signs somewhere in the NHL), they can bring the new guy in to battle for the backup position/job in the AHL.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Get rid of them both at the end of the year. Danis isn't an NHL goalie. He's an AHL goalie.

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
If Khabi starts a game this season, I'm willing to make a substantial bet he ***** the bed and loses the game for the Oilers. I think too many people are focused on what he is on paper, and not enough at who he is in reality getting a late start, coming off an injury, etc etc etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->