Speculation: Who stays..Jake or Nylander

Nylander the baby or Jake

• Total voters

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Gardiner is gone, and hopefully at the trade deadline. Hoping that Dermott shows he can replace him as the #2 LHD behind Reilly. Dermott might not have Gards' offensive upside, but he is already better at playing defence.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
With Marleau probably gone next year, and Hainsey definitely gone, can't imagine why we can't have both.

Sorry if Marleau disturbs your Leafs lineup next year. Marleau isn't waiving his NMC or retiring next summer when he has one last change at a Cup. Leafs fans should stop this unwarranted fantasy that Marleau and his cap vanishes.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Gardiner is gone, and hopefully at the trade deadline. Hoping that Dermott shows he can replace him as the #2 LHD behind Reilly. Dermott might not have Gards' offensive upside, but he is already better at playing defence.
Even if you could successfully argue that Dermott is better, you won't be successful in saying that Gardiner is any less that a #3 on the defensive depth chart. With questionable defensive strength, how does it make sense losing #3? If Gardiner costs $6MM, does it make sense that Zaitsev...who is paid $1.5MM less, stays on the team? I'm not slamming Zaits but I put Gardiner's value right now at more than $1.5mm higher

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Sorry if Marleau disturbs your Leafs lineup next year. Marleau isn't waiving his NMC or retiring next summer when he has one last change at a Cup. Leafs fans should stop this unwarranted fantasy that Marleau and his cap vanishes.

What a disaster of a contract. He wasn't worth $6.5mm in his first year, let alone how he's playing now, let alone how he's going to degrade further next year. He is absolutely getting buried out there, despite extremely favourable deployments.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Willie at 6.5-7mill OR Jake Gardiner for 6.5-7mill??? Willie all day.

No doubt next season Sandin and Liljegren will be Maple Leafs. SO that mitigates the loss. Plus we can add via free agency.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
who's still worried about the Leafs cap situation for next year?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    97.5 KB · Views: 9

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The 22 year old dynamic centre/winger for which we have no true replacement in the system. I mean, cmon.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What a disaster of a contract. He wasn't worth $6.5mm in his first year, let alone how he's playing now, let alone how he's going to degrade further next year. He is absolutely getting buried out there, despite extremely favourable deployments.

But he's not a disaster contract. He scored 27 goals and is dependable winger, so 6.25m is good contract. Now you can certainly argue that the Leafs could've been spent elsewhere, like on a Dman. But some Leaf fans hoping his cap is going is disappear is unwarranted wishful thinking.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
But he's not a disaster contract. He scored 27 goals and is dependable winger, so 6.25m is good contract. Now you can certainly argue that the Leafs could've been spent elsewhere, like on a Dman. But some Leaf fans hoping his cap is going is disappear is unwarranted wishful thinking.
He also has value as a depth C, as we saw a few times last season, Babs trusts him at C ahead of Nylander. He can skate, and he is mostly defensively responsible player. Never misses a game, brings 110% work ethic every night, sets a strong example for the younger players. He adds a ton of value to the team.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Going with neither.

Not sure why everyone thinks we can’t have both. I guess if you assume Matthews is at $12.5M and Marner is at $10M and Nylander is at $8M then yeah, hard to make that work.

Reality is Matthews $11M, Marner $<$8M, Nylander < $7M.

RFA years always lower the AAV. And Nylander’s AAV will be less based on the proration of his AAV for this season when he does eventually sign.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Why does everyone think baby is negative.. It could be a name used as a sign of respect.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A bridge for Nylander takes him past the Marleau retirement and allows him to scope out what we pay Matthews and Marner, so maybe that can solve things and buy the Leafs three years under the current set up. In terms of Gardiner, this year will be an evaluation year and I also think they'll lean heavily on Rielly to take away Gardiner's numbers and marketability, which may allow them to bring him back at a reasonable cost. Finally, I'd probably look at getting rid of Zaitsev, Brown, Marleau, Gardiner and then Kadri in that order before pulling the chute on Nylander.

MarleauAndMe

Oct 12, 2018
I think both will be staying, but feel of the two Jake is the one most likely to not be resigned to make everything fit.

Jake is what he is, and better than people give him credit for around here. I really like him as a person and feel he is a core member of the group. I think the Leafs want to keep him; if they can make it fit is another thing.

Nylander will be here for 6+ years unless they continue going full ****** with the hold out.

Think the best option for us now is trade for a defensemen because that something important that we need

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Going with neither.

Not sure why everyone thinks we can’t have both. I guess if you assume Matthews is at $12.5M and Marner is at $10M and Nylander is at $8M then yeah, hard to make that work.

Reality is Matthews $11M, Marner $<$8M, Nylander < $7M.

RFA years always lower the AAV. And Nylander’s AAV will be less based on the proration of his AAV for this season when he does eventually sign.

I don't see how Marner is going to get less than 8. I see him putting up more points than Matthews this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->