Speculation: Who stays..Jake or Nylander

Nylander the baby or Jake

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Neither. This club does not have a defense worth fighting to preserve. Dump both, add Trouba.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Could be neither, either or both, depending on the contracts they're looking for. Could argue Gardiner might be tougher to retain as a pending UFA, but maybe Nylander ends up with the bigger contract. Either also isn't really going to make the other expendable as they play different positions.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The baby insult aside it's a legit discussion. My first thought was neither but why not sign Nylander, unfortunately let Gardiner walk, trade Kadri and anoint Nylander the team's 3rd line center/1st unit PP guy/Matthews' late game winger?

It would super nice if there was more cap space to go around but there just isn't. Even avoiding any big mistakes, there's no way to create a super team any longer. You have to make decisions. Chicago had Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith and Hossa (with a now illegal cap circumvention contract) and a balance of a team that was constantly turned over. Right now I see Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Rielly and Mr.X as the Leafs' big earners. Is Mr. X Nylander or another defenseman? It seems like the template is for that player to be a defenseman. I guess the Leafs could continue to be top heavy at forward but that will leave a lot of scrambling for defensemen every summer. But the reality is that players we like will have to leave every summer for the next 6 to 10 years. To keep Nylander and all, Kadri and Gardiner would have to be the first casualties of players you'd want to keep but can't. Finding a place for Marleau's a given. But later it could be Zaitsev.

A similar team to Chicago would be Pittsburgh. Crosby, Malkin, Kessel (discounted), Letang and Fleury in their recent Cup seasons then a scramble for the balance of the lineup. Way way back they had this real nice forward piece Jordan Staal who it was impossible to keep long term. They didn't move him because they didn't value him, they moved him because there was a cap crunch looming.

But there's some good news: look at what happened long term in Chicago and Pittsburgh. At time marches on, the contracts to their superstars become smaller and smaller fractions of their total cap hits allowing them to acquire more expensive support talent. So after the pain of watching players we'd really love keep have to go, we'll eventually see better reinforcements (in theory) as time marches forward.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
“Both” and “Neither” should be options.

If it turns out that both are too hard to keep, then it’s entirely possible that whoever Nylander gets traded for would also price us out of resigning Gardiner.

I like Nylander more than Gardiner, and since he’s RFA as opposed to Gardiner’s UFA status, I think he’s the one that stays.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When I hear Nylander The Baby, all I can think of is the line from Dirty Dancing was, "Nobody puts baby in the corner." Not, "Baby won't go in the corners."

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
But Pajama Boy signed with the understanding that the band was not going to be broken up.
Oh, the humanity!

Hint:
Maybe if we stop by enough you will stay out of our board.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're keeping Nylander, baby.

I'd like to keep Jake too, but Dermott is almost ready to replace him. We don't have a replacement for Nylander. Kappy has been great, but they're barely even from the same planet. In an ideal world it's Marleau who goes.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Given how hard they are trying to squeeze Nylander, I'm guessing that they take a long hard run at trying to resign Gardiner.

Unlike JvR and Bozak, whom they let walk without much of an effort, I think they try hard to make Gardiner fit.

As frustrating as he is to watch, there aren't too many puck moving possession owning top 4 Dmen capable of putting up 50+.

My TL; DR answer = BOTH

Reactions: ACC1224

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
But Pajama Boy signed with the understanding that the band was not going to be broken up.
Oh, the humanity!

Hint:
Maybe if we stop by enough you will stay out of our board.
giphy.gif

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
I will never understand why people want to pay jake gardiner 5.5-6m a season for his constant giveaways and brainfarts. Dermott is nearly ready to take his spot in the top-4 and will cost us under a million dollars in cap for the next 2 years.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This is silly I would hope both but one is signed right now and wants to stay and the other is not signed. If in 10 games or so and Kappy keeps up his strong play along the wall and on the forecheck then the decision can become tougher.

It could be both if we trade for a top 4 d man. Kappy is building his worth while Nylander is out so providing more options.

Looking at our cap right now we have to shed Horton and perhaps Marleau to get all signed next year. I can not see us moving Kadri at this time as his value is far greater right now then most. We need his push back. Kadri is a player if he is going to be moved it is done with a year left on his contract at a very high return for a top prospect and a draft pick etc.,

Our GM has left us with more questions that answers as we are going into the season and do not have any idea of available cap space with out getting players signed. We need at least 2 of the 3 sighed before the deadline so that we can make decisions on roster depth for a playoff run as well as to ensure we can shed a player if needed at a high evaluation at deadline time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They can BOTH GTFO... Nylander for being greedy, and, Gardiner for being so darned giving!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Come to the realization both wont work.

Have at it
Since Nylander and the Leafs haven't reached a contract agreement, you call Nylander a baby? It takes both sides to come to an agreement and they're both looking out for their best interests in the short and long term. It's called business.

So far both parties have showed more maturity than the creation of this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad