Who should win the Calder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
crosby will win it even if ovechkin outplays him cuase the NHL is deperately trying to market him as the next "one". so unless ovechkin compeletlye does circles around crosby, look for him to win the calder.

as for who "should" win, too early to tell but i'd give ti to AO so far

Safir*

Ovechkin has been pretty awesome so far and his Caps won 6 of their 14 games. For me that's pretty astonishing, because I figured that these Capitals would be dead last in the SE and the East.

My TOP III:

1.) Alex Ovechkin
2.) Sid Crosby
3a.) Dion Phaneuf
3b.) Henrik Lundquist

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
PatrickRoy said:
Pitthockey81,
IThe winner of the Calder is months away and could go in any direction yet this arguement of Crosby /Ovechkin goes on.

This statement is completely correct...please end the speculation :P.

KariyaIsGod*

Bonzai said:
Crosby plays on a line with Recchi and Leclair, correct?

AO plays with Halpern (career high 22 goals I think) and Willsie (AHL veteran, NHL newcomer)

Even if Crosby gets 20-30 more points than Ovechkin, I think Ovechkin is deserving. The argument that he has no supporting cast relative to Crosby simply CANNOT be refuted.

Also, being 2 years younger should not give SC any leverage in the race. He very well may turn out to be the better player by the time he's AO's age, but the Calder goes to the most impressive rookie performance. I would venture to say that AO would have 5-10 more points at this point playing on the Pens.

I am not bashing Crosby or overhyping AO in any way whatsoever. I just think that producing a PPG on a team full of scrubs is more impressive than producing 1.5 PPG on a team loaded with skill and veterans who have scored hundreds of goals during their careers.

If you are going to tote the linemates argument, than the age argument is fully applicable.

Furthermore, the linemates argument only works if those linemates are significantly upping Crosby's production.. Well if you cared to watch Penguin games, you'd notice it's the other way around...

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
bert said:
At this point Crosby and Ovechkin have been in a league of their own. While most seasons play like Phaneufs could warrent serious calder consideration this year he is simply outclassed.

Phaneuf falls under the same category as the likes of Vorobiev, Seabrook, Richards, Steen, Meszaros, Miller, Wellwood, Perezhogin, Ward and many others. He has been a great rookie so far but Crosby and Ovechkin have been the best players on there respective teams. Phaneuf hasnt even been the best defenseman on Calgary.
Well maybe not, but I can't say it isn't close, he is tied for Calgary's defensive scoring lead (and is tied for second behind Iginla overall). Him and Hamrlik certainly have been the best pair, hopefully Regehr-Leopold start to roll now and let Warrener-Ference continue there great play, anyway he has been amazing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
pitthockey81 said:
For PR sake in the league it is really a two man race no matter what anyone says. Picking any other player would hurt the league as far as outsider perspective is concerned since Crosby and Ovechkin are considered the Labron James type players of the NHL.

Do you go with Ovechkin's goal scoring ability, or Crosby's great vision and passing ability?

My vote goes to Crosby. Ask anyone who has watched him play more than once, he does things that don't often show up on the scoresheet (ie, drew 7 penalties in a recent game)

Ovechkin does things that don't show up on the scoresheet, i.e hits and draws penalties. He has sick vision/passing in his own right (which IMO is closer to Crosby's than Crosby's goal scoring ability is to Ovehckin's.)

You can't refute that Crosby is a phenomenal playmaker, but he also has guys who can score. Ovechkin is constantly setting up guys who have zilch when it comes to scoring ability. Just check out the offensive stats for the Caps, it's sad.

What happens if/when Ovechkin scores 45-50, and Crosby finishes w/more points due to assists w/that roster?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin does things that don't show up on the scoresheet, i.e hits and draws penalties. He has sick vision/passing in his own right (which IMO is closer to Crosby's than Crosby's goal scoring ability is to Ovehckin's.)

You can't refute that Crosby is a phenomenal playmaker, but he also has guys who can score. Ovechkin is constantly setting up guys who have zilch when it comes to scoring ability. Just check out the offensive stats for the Caps, it's sad.

What happens if/when Ovechkin scores 45-50, and Crosby finishes w/more points due to assists w/that roster?
If by "he also has guys who can score" you mean "guys who tap in SC's cross ice pass into an empty net", then I agree.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Pens1566 said:
If by "he also has guys who can score" you mean "guys who tap in SC's cross ice pass into an empty net", then I agree.

The difference is, Ovechkin doesn't have guys who can tap the puck in an open net. ;)

And, I'm willing to bet that 4 or less of his 14 assists are of the open net variety regardless.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
EroCaps said:
The difference is, Ovechkin doesn't have guys who can tap the puck in an open net. ;)

And, I'm willing to bet that 4 or less of his 14 assists are of the open net variety regardless.
Its more like a majority of SC's assists have set up a teammate with a completely wide open net. I do agree that AO has crap for teammates though.

AgentNaslund*

Crosby.

its funny how ovechkin lovers love to slam the fact Crosby is surrounded by star players that have been in multi all star games, nhl veterans, and the one of the best to ever to play the game, and on a team with those guys, hes leading the team in scoring. And to them, its not impressive to lead a team in scoring that have names like Mario Lemiuex, Zigmund Pallfy, John Leclair, Mark Recchi. Very nice. On top of that, a guy that has never played vs men. That speaks for itself.

They say, Pittsburgh is better then Washington, when infact, Washington has a better record then Pittsburgh as if right now.

Crosby all the way. If he finishes the season the season leader in Pittsburgh, it be alot more impressiove then someone leading the Capitals in scoring.

I think that why they chose Crosby as the rookie of the month. And they made no mistake, OH did I mention Crosby is 2 years younger then Ovechkin?

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Epsilon said:
Thankfully the media vote on the Calder trophy and it isn't just chosen by the league. Lindros didn't even get a sniff of the award in 1993, he was something like 4th in the voting. Which shows that hype only goes so far with the media, and hopefully the same thing will happen this year.

Here's the best argument for Lundqvist: if the season were to end now, it's very likely he would be a Vezina trophy nominee. No one else, not Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf, Vorobiev, or anyone, is as close to the top of the NHL heap at their position as Lundqvist is.

...except for Lababera who is right behind him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Anfernic said:
Everyone seems to forget Ryan Whitney look at his number
I don't think they factor in the jersey number when deciding who gets the Calder.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
AgentNaslund said:
Crosby.

its funny how ovechkin lovers love to slam the fact Crosby is surrounded by star players that have been in multi all star games, nhl veterans, and the one of the best to ever to play the game, and on a team with those guys, hes leading the team in scoring. And to them, its not impressive to lead a team in scoring that have names like Mario Lemiuex, Zigmund Pallfy, John Leclair, Mark Recchi. Very nice. On top of that, a guy that has never played vs men. That speaks for itself.

They say, Pittsburgh is better then Washington, when infact, Washington has a better record then Pittsburgh as if right now.

Crosby all the way. If he finishes the season the season leader in Pittsburgh, it be alot more impressiove then someone leading the Capitals in scoring.

I think that why they chose Crosby as the rookie of the month. And they made no mistake, OH did I mention Crosby is 2 years younger then Ovechkin?

Washington has a better record bc the coaching staff stresses defense and hardwork. They'll beat you if you sleep on them but their offense and defense are pushing last place. The fact that Washington *trys* to play disciplined defensive hockey and has more wins only makes AO's case stronger. He has 2GWG and 2Shootout GWGs for a team w/less talent. Pittsburgh has been the polar opposite of clutch and plays open offensively.

Crosby is leading Pitt in scoring bc A.) He *is* a superstar and B.) Outside of Palffy who is underachieving, Pittsburgh's stars are well past their prime. However, stack their offensive stats up next to Washington's and they double or triple their production.

The Caps' #1 center has *0* goals. The second leading goal scorer on the team is Zubrus with *3* and he has spent almost all his time away from Ovechkin's line. A few other guys have 2.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
simply stated..I like all 3 Candidates..and theres others also playing great, but I just think theres more to the Calder than simply putting up points, maybe 50 points by a D man is equivalent to 80 points by a forward or 40 wins by a goalie ... Apples vs oranges, essentially im thinking in terms of difficulty/accomplishments I think what Phaneuf has accomplished has a higher level of difficulty, and has had the most impact on the succcess of his team., secondly he adds the intagibles of toughness...big hits...on top of playing very solid defensively...rare for young players... i really dont think Calgary would have more than 4 wins if not for his timely goals/assists. and that is a huge impact that shouldnt be over looked.

espo*

I'd say no-one should win it yet,being as it's only about 15 games into the season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
hattrick74 said:
did gretz win ROY?
Nope. His year in the WHA disqualified him. Ray Bourque won that year.

EDIT - Wayne did win the Hart his 1st NHL season, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->