Speculation: Who should we send to the all-star game

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Nobody.

No one on this team is currently among the top 10 of their respective position in the NHL.

You can argue Mantha is in the top 10 for RW. He currently sits at #2 in goals, and #5 in points (for a RW, not overall).

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Rielly, Dahlin, Hedman, Weber, Chabot, Krug, Ekblad ...which 5 aren't going over Hronek?
Rask, Hutton, Price, Halak, Andersen, Vasilevskiy ...which 5 aren't going over Howard?

Green went last year over everyone not named Karlsson and Hedman.

Halak is not going.

6 forwards, 3 defenseman and 2 goalies. That is the roster. Detroit doesn't deserve to send a singe player. But the rules are it has to br 1 player per team.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Green went last year over everyone not named Karlsson and Hedman.

Halak is not going.

6 forwards, 3 defenseman and 2 goalies. That is the roster. Detroit doesn't deserve to send a singe player. But the rules are it has to br 1 player per team.

I can see how someone may think another RW is more deserving of Mantha, choices like this are defiantly debatable, but I'm taking your comment to mean that no Detroit player is deserving to go, case closed, no debate.

Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I didn't think about Green that is not a terrible choice, in an open end to end game he's got the pedigree for some dynamic play if his body can keep up with the pace. Really no matter who we choose its still an undeserved spot. We don't have a top player at any position.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Carley Johnston. Let her go here and have coffee with people and we can have some new segments on Fox Sports Detroit with more legitimate NHL players talking about hockey.

Blashill, he will be like Make A Wish - NHL Coach Edition. Get a chance to see what it’s like to coach a team with real NHL talent before you are unceremoniously fired by a bunch of enraged Twitter folk.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Carley Johnston. Let her go here and have coffee with people and we can have some new segments on Fox Sports Detroit with more legitimate NHL players talking about hockey.

From the Detroit Red Wings, TV analyst Carleyyyyyyyy Jooooooohhhhhnston!

Maybe send a couple popcorn vendors as well to represent the team.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Blashill, he will be like Make A Wish - NHL Coach Edition. Get a chance to see what it’s like to coach a team with real NHL talent before you are unceremoniously fired by a bunch of enraged Twitter folk.

He got that chance at the 2017 World Championships. He flubbed that too.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I can see how someone may think another RW is more deserving of Mantha, choices like this are defiantly debatable, but I'm taking your comment to mean that no Detroit player is deserving to go, case closed, no debate.

Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

Mantha is having a good year one of the very few on Detroit that is. But each division only sends 6 forwards.
Pasta and Marner are right wingers. It isn't that debatable.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Mantha is having a good year one of the very few on Detroit that is. But each division only sends 6 forwards.
Pasta and Marner are right wingers. It isn't that debatable.

Remember, the question is not "who is the best player", the question is who has played the best hockey during the 2019/20 season. Without a doubt Pastrnak is the playing like the top RW in the league right now, but as far as the rest go, I think its definitely "debatable". Then when you throw in the flexibility of the forwards, I think he has a very good chance. Marner for example is listed as a RW in some places, but a center in other places. Its not like you are limited to 2RW, 2C, and 2LW.

As far as the bold goes, you do realize that the fact that he is one of few strengthens his changes, right?

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Eichel, Huberdeau, Barkov, Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Stamkos, Kucherov, Point. Add in players like Skinner, Drouin, Domi, Tkachuk.

You have Mantha and Larkin (maybe Bertuzzi, but I am electing to leave him out). You can keep 6 forwards, and have a list of 18 names. Sure, Larkin or Mantha will be in the discussion, but the star power at the forward position is ridiculous.
You're ignoring a little the reality of how they select the All Star Rosters though. With the NHL's efforts to include a player from each team, it's pretty unusual for a team to have 3 players go. Last year I think it was just Tampa Bay and San Jose (as the hosts). I don't think there's any way that all of Boston, Tampa Bay, and Toronto have 3 forwards going from their teams. Like it or not, some star players will be sitting at home so players from teams like Detroit and Ottawa and Minnesota have someone.

As it stands right now, I'd say Mantha should go from the Wings. But a lot could change before we get to All Star season.

ETA: I forgot Colorado had 3 players last year too, though their 3rd player was voted in by the fans.

_

Reactions: Gniwder

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
This is either going to be Mantha or Larkin. There's nobody else in the conversation. Right now give the edge to Mantha.

Reactions: kliq

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Remember, the question is not "who is the best player", the question is who has played the best hockey during the 2019/20 season. Without a doubt Pastrnak is the playing like the top RW in the league right now, but as far as the rest go, I think its definitely "debatable". Then when you throw in the flexibility of the forwards, I think he has a very good chance. Marner for example is listed as a RW in some places, but a center in other places. Its not like you are limited to 2RW, 2C, and 2LW.

As far as the bold goes, you do realize that the fact that he is one of few strengthens his changes, right?

Marner has never nor will ever play center in the NHL. He is off a to "slow" start for him and yet still has more points than Mantha. Try to remember again that Green went last year when Larkin was tearing it up for Detroit.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Marner has never nor will ever play center in the NHL. He is off a to "slow" start for him and yet still has more points than Mantha. Try to remember again that Green went last year when Larkin was tearing it up for Detroit.

Ok, take it up with ESPN and the Leafs management that have said they plan on him playing Center. With that said, I haven't watched every game of his career so I can't say if he has or hasn't, all I can speak to is that he is listed as a Center on certain websites, and he himself has gone on record saying that Leafs management wanted him playing center.

Either way, at this point we're just arguing semantics. I think your take on Mantha is off, you think mine is off. Cool.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ok, take it up with ESPN and the Leafs management that have said they plan on him playing Center. With that said, I haven't watched every game of his career so I can't say if he has or hasn't, all I can speak to is that he is listed as a Center on certain websites, and he himself has gone on record saying that Leafs management wanted him playing center.

Either way, at this point we're just arguing semantics. I think your take on Mantha is off, you think mine is off. Cool.

Gustav Nyquist has been a center on ESPN for his entire career. Marner has been a winger his whole career. It is Nylander that they pretended might be able to play center, he cannot do that either. But the last time I remember this even being talked about was when he was in London. Now I have long said I could see Marner transitioning to the position better than Nylander because of how he hounds the puck, but I think it would hurt his production. Still I don't expect to ever see it, especially with them committing 22.6 million dollars to two #1 centers.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Gustav Nyquist has been a center on ESPN for his entire career. Marner has been a winger his whole career. It is Nylander that they pretended might be able to play center, he cannot do that either. But the last time I remember this even being talked about was when he was in London. Now I have long said I could see Marner transitioning to the position better than Nylander because of how he hounds the puck, but I think it would hurt his production. Still I don't expect to ever see it, especially with them committing 22.6 million dollars to two #1 centers.

Not saying anything you wrote is wrong, but when he first came into the league the plan was for him to play C. Since they have JT, you're probably right though.
I just did a quick google search to make sure my mind wasnt playings tricks on me lol, and this popped right up, so I'm not making things up.
Marner expects to play centre on Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Either way, my point was just that guys can switch around their forward positions, especially for the all star game. You dont need 2 C, 2RW, 2LW (not that you implied otherwise).

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Not saying anything you wrote is wrong, but when he first came into the league the plan was for him to play C. Since they have JT, you're probably right though.
I just did a quick google search to make sure my mind wasnt playings tricks on me lol, and this popped right up, so I'm not making things up.
Marner expects to play centre on Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Either way, my point was just that guys can switch around their forward positions, especially for the all star game. You dont need 2 C, 2RW, 2LW (not that you implied otherwise).

I do get what you are saying and I agree Mantha should go. But Larkin should have went last year and didn't. This new allstar format is so stupid.0

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad