Who should we pick in Round 2 - Poll

Who do you want first pick of Round 2 (you can pick 2 names)

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
draft Wallinder and try to package picks for LA or SJs pick at 34 or 35 for Marat.

guessing Ottawa swings on Peterka at 33

Yeah if we don't take Peterka I can't see Ottawa passing on him.

I think we should definitely take him. Or better yet call Ottawa and say that we are gonna take him, and if they want him that badly we'll swap picks with them for an additional 3rd rounder.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah if we don't take Peterka I can't see Ottawa passing on him.

I think we should definitely take him. Or better yet call Ottawa and say that we are gonna take him, and if they want him that badly we'll swap picks with them for an additional 3rd rounder.

Why do you feel that way?

I think he plays with a ton of energy and is a good skater, but not sure about his overall skill level.

If things break right I could see him being like Michael Grabner, but I could also see him being just a depth guy or checking line player too.

I’d take him, but I’m also not super surprised he is still left. Always liked Reichel better by a good amount.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Both Gunler and Peterka are LW, Grans RD. Khustnutdinov is more defensive. I believe it should be Mysak at 32

Reactions: Marky9er

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

I think he plays with a ton of energy and is a good skater, but not sure about his overall skill level.

If things break right I could see him being like Michael Grabner, but I could also see him being just a depth guy or checking line player too.

I’d take him, but I’m also not super surprised he is still left. Always liked Reichel better by a good amount.
I think the consensus around here was that Reichel had the higher ceiling between him and Peterka. Peterka is a high energy player who can pass and shoot, has solid speed, and will work in the corners to come out with the puck. The problem is, I am not how much more room for growth he has as compared to Reichel who matches Peterka in most categories, but looks like he can get stronger and faster to leap above Peterka. That's my basic analysis between him and Reichel (not that you asked for a comparison lol), I am sure someone can give you something better.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I like LHD Jeremie Poirer.

High end offensive skills. Needs to round out his play on the defensive side, but no real LHD in the system like him outside of Cholowski and who knows where he's gonna end up. Low end starter or bounced out the league here in 1-2 more season... Poirer is the type of prospect that you can look to run your PP in the future. An provides insurance now against Cholowski.

Idk, Poirer can finish the year in Juniors, make the jump next year to the AHL against men, 2 years he can get a legit look at the league imo. Not saying he'll be a two year jump but his "path" towards the league is trending this way. Bigger kid, very good skater, passer, can carry the puck. Idk, just needs to round out his defensive game in his own end. That can be worked on.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Khusnutdinov is my top guy here. I think he is going to be a good one. I understand those who want to go defense here (or even trade back), but I think someone will fall. I am still holding out hope that Jurmo, Andrae, or Cormier will be available at 45. I just want skill with our first 2 picks. There is a lot available, so I am excited to see who we go with.

Reactions: avssuc

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe I misinterpreted, but it sounded like Draper pretty strongly suggested the Wings would move the pick.

“We’ll discuss possible scenarios that might benefit the Detroit Red Wings, but if not, if something doesn’t come up, we’re real excited with the players we’re looking at tomorrow”

Seems like a strange thing to say if they were committed to a specific player. Worth pointing out that the question he was asked had nothing to do with a trade at all, Draper said this on his own. There were a few more moments in the interview where he alluded to a trade happening, with vague references to Steve having “a lot of work to do tonight”.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Why do I feel like Ottawa will take him? They took Stutzle in round 1, so might as well grab his buddy Peterka as well. I had Peterka ranked 25, so I think its a decent pick at 32 or 33. I think his floor is a 3rd liner, and his ceiling is a 2nd liner. I would take a forward at 32, and then grab some D/G in the late 2nd and early 3rd.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why do I feel like Ottawa will take him? They took Stutzle in round 1, so might as well grab his buddy Peterka as well. I had Peterka ranked 25, so I think its a decent pick at 32 or 33. I think his floor is a 3rd liner, and his ceiling is a 2nd liner. I would take a forward at 32, and then grab some D/G in the late 2nd and early 3rd.

Why do you think he’s a lock to go at 32 or Ottawa?

Just because of where he’s ranked? Or do you think he is head and shoulders above guys like Mysak, Gunler, Wallinder, etc?

Just curious. I think it is pretty wide open from here on out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Maybe I misinterpreted, but it sounded like Draper pretty strongly suggested the Wings would move the pick.

“We’ll discuss possible scenarios that might benefit the Detroit Red Wings, but if not, if something doesn’t come up, we’re real excited with the players we’re looking at tomorrow”

Seems like a strange thing to say if they were committed to a specific player. Worth pointing out that the question he was asked had nothing to do with a trade at all, Draper said this on his own. There were a few more moments in the interview where he alluded to a trade happening, with vague references to Steve having “a lot of work to do tonight”.

It would make sense if that used their glut of 2nd round picks on something more immediate.

We all get excited about tons of draft picks, rightfully so, but having many prospects the same age all coming into the system at the same time can be a logistical nightmare.

With NINE 2nd round picks between 2019-2021... There's definitely some flexibility to chase more immediate help than to have a dozen prospects all peaking at the same time.

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I just found out Peterka shares my birthday, so he immediately jumps up to the next pick for me.

And he's a center.

And German.

My reasoning is sound, damn you.

Peterka is 100% a winger. Wherever he's listed as C is incorrect. In the DEL and internationally he plays wing.

With his wheels he'll make it to the NHL. I think he could be at worst a skilled 3rd line winger. At best a very solid 2nd line scoring threat. The way he throws his whole body into his shots reminds me of Fabbri.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Just because of where he’s ranked? Or do you think he is head and shoulders above guys like Mysak, Gunler, Wallinder, etc?

Internationally, Peterka has been Stutzle's winger. The two have great chemistry together.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Nothing is ever a lock in the 2nd round. Teams will start swinging for the fences at some point. In my mind him and Gunler are the top remaining forwards. I've never been a huge fan of Mysak, I think his ceiling is a 3rd liner whereas Peterka has 2nd line potential in my opinion. I would also be thrilled with Gunler, but I think he's gonna continue to slide a bit. If we went for a D, I'd take O'Rourke. I don't love Wallinder's upside, and don't think he projects as anything better than a #4/5.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
It would make sense if that used their glut of 2nd round picks on something more immediate.

We all get excited about tons of draft picks, rightfully so, but having many prospects the same age all coming into the system at the same time can be a logistical nightmare.

With NINE 2nd round picks between 2019-2021... There's definitely some flexibility to chase more immediate help than to have a dozen prospects all peaking at the same time.

I’m torn, the Red Wings need elite talent. More middle six wingers or 2nd/3rd line defensemen don’t really do anything to help this team. It’s hard to think of a realistic trade around 32OA for a roster player (outside of a goalie maybe) that would do anything to improve the team or address a need.

At this point it’s just a probability game, and I think the philosophy should be to draft as much as you possibly can and hope you find the next Point/Kucherov sooner rather than later.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
When did Petraka become a centre. Every list I’ve seen says he’s a winger. If that’s the case I would rather address needs like centre, Khuznutdinov, or defense, Wallinder

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Why is Andrae a near DND? He has elite offensive skill from the blueline? He's super poised with the puck and has upside as PPQB at the NHL level?

But anyways, if it was me I'd probably go option 2. Khusnutdinov, Mysak, Gunler, JPP are all potential top 6 guys at 32 and I think the value on them is too good at 32. I think there will be a number of LD still available at 45 to grab one there, though I think goalie is a strong consideration too.

I don't think Andrae skates nearly as well as he needs to, to play defense in the NHL at his size. I am happy to take undersized defensemen, but you need to be a plus, plus skater on draft day for me to consider you before the late rounds. He isn't literally a DND because there obviously is some point in the fourth or fifth round where I would consider him. I have accepted that this just isn't the draft to go searching for offensive defensemen because they just aren't there. I am also very bearish on Poirier although I have read he has been better this year. This sounds weird but we are drafting for NHL players, not simply the best of the rest (if that makes any sense).

I tend to agree with you on option 2. I think the gap between those forwards and those likely to be available at 45 is bigger than the gap between the defensemen I mentioned, although I love ROR.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’m torn, the Red Wings need elite talent. More middle six wingers or 2nd/3rd line defensemen don’t really do anything to help this team. It’s hard to think of a realistic trade around 32OA for a roster player (outside of a goalie maybe) that would do anything to improve the team or address a need.

At this point it’s just a probability game, and I think the philosophy should be to draft as much as you possibly can and hope you find the next Point/Kucherov sooner rather than later.

I couldn't disagree more.
Do we need better first liners? 100%. But we also need better 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. We also need better 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pair defensemen. We need improvement EVERYWHERE.

Ideally we end up with a 1st line center upgrade because Larkin is somewhere in the 25-30 range of first line centers around the league. And ideally we get an upgrade over Bertuzzi on the first line because he's in much the same situation. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to build a deep organization. And it doesn't mean we shouldn't swing for the fences with some of our later draft picks. One of them might become a Point or Kucherov. There are a few guys in the 2nd to 7th round of this draft that have that major boom or bust potential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At 32 I like Gunler, Mysak, Bordeleau, or Wallinder the best.

For the other picks in that 44-65 range I like: Chromiak, Grans, Tullio, Niederbach, Daws, Hirvonen, Robins, Ponomaryov, Torgersson, Jarventie, Heineman, Rashevsky.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
At 32 I like Gunler, Mysak, Bordeleau, or Wallinder the best.

For the other picks in that 44-65 range I like: Chromiak, Grans, Tullio, Niederbach, Daws, Hirvonen, Robins, Ponomaryov, Torgersson, Jarventie, Heineman, Rashevsky.

After reading more scouting reports and watching some reels on Gunler, I'd take Torgersson over him. Seems very Franzen-esque. Gunler seems very...bust-esque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->