Who should the Leafs Draft?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's what we don't want.

I don't particuarly care if a player is a "safe" pick. I need a guy with big-time offensive upside, safe pick be damned.

I like Sweatt, but not at #13.

Interesting. The Leafs haven't had much success of late going that route. I wouldn't be surprised if Sweatt is gone by the time the Leafs pick anyway.

turnbuckle*

I really have a hard time believing that Maxim Mayorov will be considered by teams with top ten picks in this draft. i suspet he'll be available at 15, probably 20, perhaps even 30, yet I keep reading how people are hoping he'll "drop" to them at 13th overall. If someone picks Mayorov in the top 12, over a Zach Hamill for instance, the team picking right after them will be doing cartwheels.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I really have a hard time believing that Maxim Mayorov will be considered by teams with top ten picks in this draft. i suspet he'll be available at 15, probably 20, perhaps even 30, yet I keep reading how people are hoping he'll "drop" to them at 13th overall. If someone picks Mayorov in the top 12, over a Zach Hamill for instance, the team picking right after them will be doing cartwheels.

well he is ranked #8. i would find it a bit strange if he drops out of the first round completely. i think he could be picked anywhere from 10-25. but not out of the first round.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Why do I get the feeling that Espo will drop quite far and the habs will snag him one spot before us?

damn biased saturday night refs at the ACC!

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
well he is ranked #8. i would find it a bit strange if he drops out of the first round completely. i think he could be picked anywhere from 10-25. but not out of the first round.

Well he is ranked #8 by ISS. If I remember correctly neither Red Line nor McKeens have him Top 20 and CSS had him as their third ranked European Skater which isn't exactly Top 10 either.
At the same time last year ISS had Alexander Vasyunov at #11 and he dropped to #58.
I'm not having a go at ISS (I'm sure the other scouting services also had their share of duds) I just wish some people here would stop to take everything these services say as a gospel.

turnbuckle*

Folks here appear to have very short memories. as well; they are putting WAY too much stock in one scouting service.

He is ranked 8th by ONE scouting service, the same scouting service that had Juutilainen, Marcinko, Fiala, Anisimov and Williams in its final top 20 a year ago. Do you recall those five being picked in the top 20 last year? In the top round?

Fiala went 40th overall, Williams went 51st overall, Anisimov went 54th overall, Marcinko went 115th overall and Juutailainen went 156th overall. Five guys who were supposedly top 20 material.

Does that not tell you that their rankings should not be taken as the gospel? Less than a year later and folks are treating their list like gospel once again because it happens to be everywhere.

A lot of you folks should listen to Pink Floyd "Animals" very closely, paying particular attention to the song "Sheep."

Last edited by a moderator:

bluechip

May 19, 2006
Oscar Moller would be a great pick for the Leafs at #13. Top notch hockey sense with and without the puck, accurate shot, good speed, and tenacity. He'll be the sleeper from this draft who has a productive career as a goal scoring top 6 forward. He has better hockey sense than Espo. Moller is a very safe pick with plenty of upside.

Mayorov : haven't seen him play. Will see him at the U18's so I'll obviously reserve judgement until I see him.

Couture lacks top end speed and there are some concerns with his goal scoring touch. He hasn't dropped solely due to injuries.

Sutter's intensity/work ethic have been questioned. Lacks tenacity and doesn't make the quickest decisions with the puck.

Joakim Andersson : haven't seen him play but reports suggest he lacks speed and doesn't have a good shot. Sounds like a safe 3rd liner with limited upside.

Esposito : often tries to deke rather than use his linemates or taking the puck outside. Moller has better smarts and goal scoring ability.

Ellerby : skating, smarts, passing, defensive zone coverage are excellent but he has a poor shot and limited offensive upside. He'll never quarterback a powerplay with that shot. At times, looks too poised. Could use more urgency in his game.

Lars Eller : haven't seen him play but he sounds like a sleeper who's danish nationality is working against him in the rankings.

Hickey : D with speed/skill to jump into the play, active stick who loves trying to intercept passes, gambles in regard to the latter which takes him out of position. Pretty good smarts and upside if you disregard his risky interception attempts.

Shattenkirk : D with hard accurate wrister. Defensive zone coverage could be tighter. Haven't seen enough of him.

Sweatt : 3rd line energy/role player

Cann : goes down early, very vulnerable to top corner shots.

Last edited:

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Ideally, a scoring winger, and if not, the best player available, no matter what position.

My preferences are as follow.

1st Round:

1. Maxime Mayorov (questions marks regarding transfer agreement)
2. Oscar Moller
3. Joakim Andersson
4. Ryan McDonough
5. Billy Sweatt

2nd Round:

1. Michal Repik (If available)
2. Jeremy Smith
3. Mark Owuya
4. Joel Gistedt
5. Jason Gregoire

Don't think the Leafs have a second rounder this year. Was dealt to Phoenix with Bell for Perreault. Another joke of a deal.

knights2005

Dec 13, 2006
Once again, the Leafs don't even know how to lose properly. Last year, we could have Johnson or Staal or Toews, this year Kane or Alzner or Cherepanov. Instead, we have Tlusty (who I'll be very surprised to see play an NHL game at all) and will draft another bust at 13th this year.

When the Leafs finally decide to tank it and finish last overall for the Tavares 09 draft, they will lose the lottery and pick second.

I guess my answer is it doesn't matter who the Leafs draft - it won't be high enough to make a difference.

bluechip

May 19, 2006
Ideally, a scoring winger, and if not, the best player available, no matter what position.

My preferences are as follow.

2nd Round:

1. Michal Repik (If available)
2. Jeremy Smith
3. Mark Owuya
4. Joel Gistedt
5. Jason Gregoire

Goncharov(D) and Kokkola(F) are regarded as sleepers who should be around for their 2nd pick. Hopefully they don't simply take the best available goalie for their 2nd pick in order to address a lack of organizational depth at that position. I've only seen Rowatt for a period and a half but he may be worth a shot with a later pick. He's having a strong playoff run.

I hope they pass on Aliu if he's around in the 2nd and 3rd. While he displayed his tools at the Prospects game, he looked far worse in the late season game I saw. He is simply not that skilled or smart with the puck. He doesn't project as a goal scorer either despite his bullet quick release. Throw in a bad attitude that would be detrimental to any dressing room and I'd steer clear from a project who won't pan out.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Once again, the Leafs don't even know how to lose properly. Last year, we could have Johnson or Staal or Toews, this year Kane or Alzner or Cherepanov. Instead, we have Tlusty (who I'll be very surprised to see play an NHL game at all) and will draft another bust at 13th this year.

When the Leafs finally decide to tank it and finish last overall for the Tavares 09 draft, they will lose the lottery and pick second.

I guess my answer is it doesn't matter who the Leafs draft - it won't be high enough to make a difference.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen on hockey's future.

:shakehead

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
JFJ(if he's still GM)likes to go outside of North America for his first rounders it seems, wouldn't be surprised to see Moyorov get picked by Toronto.

Rask and Tlusty were the Euros and both of them were the best available players at that time. I'm sure he'll take the best available player, if it happens to be a North American.

Oscar Moller should be the Leafs property!

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON

My theory is the leafs will have a serious cup run next year if JFJ & MLSE makes it their goal to finish last in the league.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

:biglaugh: That's beyond ridiculous

Do_The_Trotsky

Jan 23, 2007
They should trade up and get a good player. Ship Antropov before he gets hurt again + their first and move up a couple spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad