Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft - social isolation edition

Which prospect should the Jets pick in the 1st round, if all are available?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok “sold” unless Sanderson (the next Slavin) is available. @surixon has been wearing me down on Lapierre too :laugh:.

I am hoping for Sanderson or another faller but after that I am struggling. I am a pretty decisive person so this extra time is counter productive for me :help:.
I love the idea of Lapierre, but the risk is still high. Another serious injury or even him avoiding traffic would be big risks at #10. There are going to be solid options. With the configuration of forwards the Jets have, a possession driver and distributor like Lundell who can also score makes a lot of sense.

Sanderson could be a D that solidifies the top 4 for a long time. It might change how the Jets prioritize trades, too.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Perhaps, but if you draft him at #10 and his injuries or avoidance of traffic become a problem, that's a huge opportunity lost. The Jets can't really afford to miss on their #10 pick this year.
My first choice is still Sanderson unless something strange happened and a prospect like Perfetti was available.
I was simply saying in hindsight 5 years from now, Lapierre might be that high risk high reward player teams wished they had taken a chance on.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love the idea of Lapierre, but the risk is still high. Another serious injury or even him avoiding traffic would be big risks at #10. There are going to be solid options. With the configuration of forwards the Jets have, a possession driver and distributor like Lundell who can also score makes a lot of sense.

Sanderson could be a D that solidifies the top 4 for a long time. It might change how the Jets prioritize trades, too.

Left D is less of a need but as we have seen a rosters possible strength can turn on a dime. The Lundell ideal (ROR lite) is what we really need at this snap shot in time. That and a #1 RHD and we are back :sarcasm:

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Left D is less of a need but as we have seen a rosters possible strength can turn on a dime. The Lundell ideal (ROR lite) is what we really need at this snap shot in time. That and a #1 RHD and we are back :sarcasm:
Ville Heinola being comfortable playing on the right side certainly helps the left D situation and there is no guarantee that Demelo signs a contract with the Jets. I'd draft Sanderson before Lundell so the Jets weren't constantly hemmed in their own zone. I agree the Jets need help in the form of top 6 C but they need help getting out of their own zone first.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ville Heinola being comfortable playing on the right side certainly helps the left D situation and there is no guarantee that Demelo signs a contract with the Jets. I'd draft Sanderson before Lundell so the Jets weren't constantly hemmed in their own zone. I agree the Jets need help in the form of top 6 C but they need help getting out of their own zone first.
Samberg has also played the right side.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Ok “sold” unless Sanderson (the next Slavin) is available. @surixon has been wearing me down on Lapierre too :laugh:.

I am hoping for Sanderson or another faller but after that I am struggling. I am a pretty decisive person so this extra time is counter productive for me :help:.

Sanderson, Lapierre and Lundell are my 3 favourite targets.

Jarvis, Schneider and Guhle are my next three but would prefer the Jets trading back for one of these and picking up an extra 2nd.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Scouching had an interesting stat about Guhle in his report. Kaiden Guhle has the lowest high danger shot attempts against per 60 out of any defender in the 2020 draft by a pretty significant margin. And better than all CHL defenders by a massive margin.

guhle.png

Reactions: GNP

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scouching had an interesting stat about Guhle in his report. Kaiden Guhle has the lowest high danger shot attempts against per 60 out of any defender in the 2020 draft by a pretty significant margin. And better than all CHL defenders by a massive margin.

guhle.png

Do you think some of that is the system PA plays as well as Ghule’s skill? I know PA as a team play a pretty stifling game.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do you think some of that is the system PA plays as well as Ghule’s skill? I know PA as a team play a pretty stifling game.

Some of it is definitely the system. But the majority of it is Guhle's skillset. He's arguably the best shutdown defencmen in the entire CHL while still being able to put up points. His offensive game still needs some work and he struggles with breakouts under pressure. But the mobility is there so he doesnt need to improve on his skating. The size is there in spades and he is also arguably one of the most physical defencemen in the CHL. His brain is all there to be the shutdown type and with some fine tuning his offensive game could take some leaps. I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point guy in the NHL but I could see him being a solid 30 point shutdown defender who logs big minutes 5v5 and on the PK while being miserable to play against.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some of it is definitely the system. But the majority of it is Guhle's skillset. He's arguably the best shutdown defencmen in the entire CHL while still being able to put up points. His offensive game still needs some work and he struggles with breakouts under pressure. But the mobility is there so he doesnt need to improve on his skating. The size is there in spades and he is also arguably one of the most physical defencemen in the CHL. His brain is all there to be the shutdown type and with some fine tuning his offensive game could take some leaps. I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point guy in the NHL but I could see him being a solid 30 point shutdown defender who logs big minutes 5v5 and on the PK while being miserable to play against.
I think the knock on Guhle is in his decision making with the puck. He's not a good puck mover at this stage. He might develop that, though. He has a very good defensive game and some good tools - especially skating and his shot. He's sort of like Samberg, but more physical and with a better shot, and not as good at moving the puck.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the knock on Guhle is in his decision making with the puck. He's not a good puck mover at this stage. He might develop that, though. He has a very good defensive game and some good tools - especially skating and his shot. He's sort of like Samberg, but more physical and with a better shot, and not as good at moving the puck.

Yeah Samberg is a great puck mover and has good mobility. I'd love to have Guhle back there and shift Heinola over to the right. Having both Samberg and Guhle patrolling the ice and on the PK would make the Jets a miserable team to play against. Samberg isn't as physical as Guhle but he still dishes it out when he can. I think with Guhle you want a partner that is a more capable puck mover. Someone that he can defer too. But he does need to get better at moving the puck under pressure. I think that is the major thing you work on with him. Learning when to be physical and when to use that gap control and stick. And how to make a proper breakout. The skill is there and it's such a minor fix that it can be learned. The rest of his defensive skillset is miles ahead of everyone else in this draft that he could probably step into a bottom pairing role next year and handle it but I'd still send him back to junior for at least one more year to work on his offensive game and continue to refine his defensive skillset. Physically he is ready for the NHL.

Reactions: untouchable21

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sanderson, Lapierre and Lundell are my 3 favourite targets.

Jarvis, Schneider and Guhle are my next three but would prefer the Jets trading back for one of these and picking up an extra 2nd.

I wonder if the Jets don't see what they like at 10, if we can move back to 13. Carolina is likely interested in going up to 10 if Askarov is on the board.

Reactions: untouchable21

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah Samberg is a great puck mover and has good mobility. I'd love to have Guhle back there and shift Heinola over to the right. Having both Samberg and Guhle patrolling the ice and on the PK would make the Jets a miserable team to play against. Samberg isn't as physical as Guhle but he still dishes it out when he can. I think with Guhle you want a partner that is a more capable puck mover. Someone that he can defer too. But he does need to get better at moving the puck under pressure. I think that is the major thing you work on with him. Learning when to be physical and when to use that gap control and stick. And how to make a proper breakout. The skill is there and it's such a minor fix that it can be learned. The rest of his defensive skillset is miles ahead of everyone else in this draft that he could probably step into a bottom pairing role next year and handle it but I'd still send him back to junior for at least one more year to work on his offensive game and continue to refine his defensive skillset. Physically he is ready for the NHL.
Samberg is very physical around the slot / crease, and the Jets need that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Samberg is very physical around the slot / crease, and the Jets need that.

Yeah imagine having two of those guys patrolling the back end. A more offensive puck mover on their right side and that's a formidable team. Pretty close to how we used to be. Though Buffs phsyciality is unmatched when he wanted it to be.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if the Jets don't see what they like at 10, if we can move back to 13. Carolina is likely interested in going up to 10 if Askarov is on the board.
Didn’t Chevy say that picking at #10 that he knew that someone they really liked would be available?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t see the Jets trading down. They will lock into the player they want and pick him like they have always done.

Yeah we don't seem to be the trade down type. We would trade up if anything.

At the risk of getting a piling on Penalty I agree I don’t see us trading down at #10 either. I think we are going to get someone the org really likes.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At the risk of getting a piling on Penalty I agree I don’t see us trading down at #10 either. I think we are going to get someone the org really likes.
The way the season has played out I think the Jets are happy with #10 and will take BPA on their board and move on.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The way the season has played out I think the Jets are happy with #10 and will take BPA on their board and move on.

We have only drafted in the top 10 once since 2014 so I don’t think we are going to screw around.

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah we don't seem to be the trade down type. We would trade up if anything.
Probably, but just based on how the board stacks up it seems rational to trade down from #10 to #13 if Sanderson or Rossi aren't available at #10, and the return from Carolina is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->