Who should the Jets Buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think there's a reason to buy out anyone. We're well under any new cap, and if we want to get rid of anyone we can just wait until the trade deadline.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
None you have listed as (if memory serves me right) they are all ufa at the end of this year
That would be a waste

Besides, we have to hit the cap floor

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wouldn't buy out anyone. I think the buyout would be for teams with a Redden or Gomez on them. We have some contracts that aren't gorgeous but they are far from albatross'es

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The amnesty buyout under the latest NHL proposal came during the 2013 off-season...so since all these players are UFA, none of them will be bought out.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think we buy anyone out. We don't have any brutal contracts. And any players that are overpaid, we still need.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Even if they weren't pending UFA's.

Hainsey's contract is about par for 2nd pairing D now (looking at last 2 years signings). Plus currently he is the only one of the non-Enstrogolien that has provenly and competently play top4.

Antropov's contract isn't pretty but as Jet said it isn't a huge worry either. He still produces points at a top6 player rate, was great on the PP and PK (although some of that may have been boosted by Kane/Stapleton and Burmi respectively) and is willing to take a more defensive role (and will fit well with Poni-Slater/Burmi-Antro line).

Mittens wasn't good last season (minus a few small moments) but his contract isn't anything remotely even scary... Plus still chance he can turn it around and play dece bottom6 role. Worst case wave or scratch him; no lose.

Gagnon... Not NHL calibre. But buried in AHL for a year is fine.

Lux Aurumque*

If we could just dump one player off the roster with no financial implications or cap hit, I'd pick Hainsey due to his greedy antics.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really don't get buying out Ron Hainsey. You are just throwing money away IMHO. You take the cash that it will cost to buy him out + whatever it takes to pay a replacement that will play at his level and you are behind the eight ball dollars wise.

I could understand if we were even flirting with the cap, or if he had a long contract, but to me this is more of an emotional move that makes no organizational sense.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I really don't get buying out Ron Hainsey. You are just throwing money away IMHO. You take the cash that it will cost to buy him out + whatever it takes to pay a replacement that will play at his level and you are behind the eight ball dollars wise.

I could understand if we were even flirting with the cap, or if he had a long contract, but to me this is more of an emotional move that makes no organizational sense.

Hainsey is a UFA after this yr, no reason to buy him out.

He does have some value, but if he's not willing to sign a 2 (or so) yr deal at around $3 to $3.5/yr, then i'd be shopping him at the trade deadline. A team desperate for a 2nd pairing dman might offer up enticing picks (maybe even a future 2014 2nd and 3rd pick like the Oduya trade).

It wouldn't matter too much if we're in a playoff hunt or not, tbh. I don't think Hainsey (like Oduya) makes us that better. Now with Bogo still out, the 2nd pairing likely is Stuart and Hainsey for a while, but i'm fine with Stuart/Bogo 2nd pairing if it means getting something for Hainsey - IF he's looking to leave anyway.

Edit: assuming Bogo is ready to play by the trade deadline.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The amnesty buyout under the latest NHL proposal came during the 2013 off-season...so since all these players are UFA, none of them will be bought out.

Yeah this poll is misleading/wrong. Hypothetically though, even if the buyout was to take place before this possible season, I absolutely wouldn't buy out Hainsey, Antropov or Miettinen. Hainsey and Antropov are contributors to the team in their own way and we have nobody better to replace them with even if they are overpaid. Miettinen on the other hand is at least a warm body which we need for RW. Gagnon would be the only real buyout consideration IMO, again if the buyouts in question were for this season, but even then it's probably not something TN would do since they signed him quite recently - i.e. it would reflect really poorly on them.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hainsey is a UFA after this yr, no reason to buy him out.

He does have some value, but if he's not willing to sign a 2 (or so) yr deal at around $3 to $3.5/yr, then i'd be shopping him at the trade deadline. A team desperate for a 2nd pairing dman might offer up enticing picks (maybe even a future 2014 2nd and 3rd pick like the Oduya trade).

It wouldn't matter too much if we're in a playoff hunt or not, tbh. I don't think Hainsey (like Oduya) makes us that better. Now with Bogo still out, the 2nd pairing likely is Stuart and Hainsey for a while, but i'm fine with Stuart/Bogo 2nd pairing if it means getting something for Hainsey - IF he's looking to leave anyway.

Edit: assuming Bogo is ready to play by the trade deadline.

I'm not really... unless we're a reaaal bottom feeder team (think CBJ/EDM).
Stuart is an ok third pairing but I really have as much faith with him on the second pairing tough minutes as throwing rookie Postma there...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like I'm the only one to vote buy out Antro, guy shows up every fifth game which in it self is reason enough.

Kind of agree with sweech, Hainsey is at least useful and does show up every game.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm not really... unless we're a reaaal bottom feeder team (think CBJ/EDM).
Stuart is an ok third pairing but I really have as much faith with him on the second pairing tough minutes as throwing rookie Postma there...

I'm thinking very short-term, garret. Wouldn't be the pairing, i'd like to start 2013/14 with.

I agree, about Stuart, but i would move Hainsey for picks - IF he wasn't indicating a willingness to resign. The only current LHD to "fill" the void would be Stuart, though if this was a serious move, i'm sure the Jets would look to see if there is something better on the waver wire, or trade front, to replace Hainsey.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm thinking very short-term, garret. Wouldn't be the pairing, i'd like to start 2013/14 with.

I agree, about Stuart, but i would move Hainsey for picks - IF he wasn't indicating a willingness to resign. The only current LHD to "fill" the void would be Stuart, though if this was a serious move, i'm sure the Jets would look to see if there is something better on the waver wire, or trade front, to replace Hainsey.

Ah gotchya :P
Kay I agree :nod:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Looks like I'm the only one to vote buy out Antro, guy shows up every fifth game which in it self is reason enough.

Kind of agree with sweech, Hainsey is at least useful and does show up every game.

Antro along with Hainsey don't meet the criteria. I mean we can't buy someone out who isn't under conract next year and there is zero way that cutting either of them makes the team better this year, especially when the Jets aren't near the cap and you factor in the cost of a replacement.

EDIT

I mean, why pay someone $3 Mill not to play?

I really don't see many buy outs happening outside of Redden, DiPietro, Gomez and maybe someone like Pronger depending on how the new CBA handles injured players.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
None. We don't have a Gomez or Redden to worry about. Why would we pay someone who would otherwise make the team not to play? It's not like we are pushing up against the cap.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Sounds like the buyout would be for the 13-14 season. In that case, about the only guy I could see considering to buyout is Pavelec depending on how he plays in a possible shortened season. But I doubt the Jets use it, because we don't really have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad