Speculation: Who Should The Devils Target In Free Agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Lovejoy and Santini would be the possible scratches. If we don't sign someone Santini will be playing.

Santini would need to pass through waivers to be sent down

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lovejoy and Santini would be the possible scratches. If we don't sign someone Santini will be playing.

Santini would need to pass through waivers to be sent down

Might try to ship someone out in that case, or just not sign any D help. Not like the free agent options are earth shattering.

Reactions: nugg

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Man, Anton Khudobin would be a decent signing to help Kinkaid out until Schneider is back, but got Lack soooooooooooooooo.

Boston was really petty with his contract, he just wanted 50K more than what they offered him, and they told him f*** off.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm on the de Haan and Czarnik train.

I'm guessing de Haan would make a nice defensive counterpart to Vatanen as a first pairing. It was a while ago, but Greene and Severson worked well together in Severson's first season. They may still be able to handle 2nd/3rd pairing duties. Butcher paired with either of our remaining defensive defensemen (Santini or Mueller) would work for me too.

Carnik's not guaranteed to be a player, but I think it's worth a shot to give him time with some real linemates. He was buried on the Bruins because of their RW depth. He may be a too small to be effective, so it's definitely a gamble. We can really use the RW depth.

That being said, I suspect we're going to pick up a player NO-ONE here expected.

-edit-
It would never happen, but I'd also love to offer-sheet Slater Koekkoek in Tampa, or trade for him on the cheap. Maybe we can pry him away if they win the JT sweepstakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Would love to see opening night roster like this:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
MoJo-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Mcleod/Anderson
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen
Gibbons, x

Greene- Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
DeHaan-Santini
Yakovlev/Mueller/Lovejoy

Schneider, Kinkaid

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
No offense, but weak take.

Odds of Taylor Hall having as phenomenal a season again and literally dragging the Devils into the playoffs - doubtful.

Metro is getting better. Devils are losing Moore on the back end (not a huge loss) and probably Maroon up front. We're getting worse this offseason without any significant additions.

I'm going to have to disagree in that I think Yakovlev is an upgrade on Moore and Anderson/McLeod will inject some speed and skill into the lineup. I think the Devils will be better in 2018-19 than in the previous year. While Philadelphia is improving, Pittsburgh is equivalent, Washington has peaked, Columbus is spinning its wheels, Carolina is in serious flux and the Islanders could lose Tavares in the next 24 hours. And the Rangers will certainly not be as good as the Devils next season.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Cole - Vats
Green - sevs
Mueller - butcher

Done. That is what would happen

The assumption that Mueller is anything more than an AHL defenseman has still not been proven. Yakovlev is likely a stronger option, and Santini is certainly a stronger option which would allow Butcher to stay at his natural position of LD.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would love to see opening night roster like this:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
MoJo-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Mcleod/Anderson
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen
Gibbons, x

Greene- Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
DeHaan-Santini
Yakovlev/Mueller/Lovejoy

Schneider, Kinkaid

I think this might be the best plan I've seen yet.

Reactions: Figgie

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, bring me a guy I can nickname Jersey Shore to this team, I'd be thrilled. :laugh:

I trust Ray and what he's done since he's been here, and am sure he's looking for opportunities to continue to improve the team outside of the UFA market, as well. I've mentioned it before, but last year we signed Boyle July 1st and no one else which lead to people panicking before we traded for Johansson two days later.

We aren't in danger of anything if nothing significant happens today. Trust in Ray, he's earned as much with the offseasons he's had in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad