Who should he lean on more/lay-off some?

leafspring*

I was checking some advanced stats that showed Kadri ranking very highly in the entire NHL.The rankings were 1st,second,9th overall etc.http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/

You can root around in there if you like,its interesting,and there is a glossary of definitions of abbreviations.

I was actually looking to find stats on quality of competition quality of shots to quality of scoring chances etc. Which there is some of in there!

I got thinking after some time that,certain players amounts of playing time should be reduced/increased.

(#1)Who do you think you would like to see getting reduced playing time(why)
(#2) who would you like getting more playing time and (why)?

To my thinking Kadri is being shorted ice time,and needs to be bumped up significantly,because his points per 60 minutes played is 9th in the league at the last update of these stats.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The Kessel and Grabovski lines still face the brunt of the others teams' shutdown units which leaves Kadri and his line open for some stat padding.

I'm not saying I think he can't handle stiffer competition, but optimism should be cautious. He's done well, but he's had it pretty easy so far this season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I was checking some advanced stats that showed Kadri ranking very highly in the entire NHL.The rankings were 1st,second,9th overall etc.http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/

You can root around in there if you like,its interesting,and there is a glossary of definitions of abbreviations.

I was actually looking to find stats on quality of competition quality of shots to quality of scoring chances etc. Which there is some of in there!

I got thinking after some time that,certain players amounts of playing time should be reduced/increased.

(#1)Who do you think you would like to see getting reduced playing time(why)
(#2) who would you like getting more playing time and (why)?

To my thinking Kadri is being shorted ice time,and needs to be bumped up significantly,because his points per 60 minutes played is 9th in the league at the last update of these stats.

Icetime is not based solely on potential offensive output. The reason why Kadri's stats looks very good is because Carlyle is using him effectively in situations he can win at/in. It's likely that putting more pressure on Kadri at this stage in his development may do more harm than good, which it looks like Carlyle understands.

Personally I think Carlyle is doing a fantastic job with icetime dispersion among the team. Hell Colton Orr is now playing effective 3rd line minutes and Fraser is a +13 or something like that. It's great to see.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
The Kessel and Grabovski lines still face the brunt of the others teams' shutdown units which leaves Kadri and his line open for some stat padding.

I'm not saying I think he can't handle stiffer competition, but optimism should be cautious. He's done well, but he's had it pretty easy so far this season.

I agree with all of your post, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

If that's the kind of depth this team has, and it helps bring in the 'wins', then we shouldn't really care what stats are padded or not.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I thought so far a fantastic job has been done managing everyone's minutes. Early on Kostka/Phaneuf got played too much but since then that has gotten under control.

If anything, maybe give Kadri a little more minutes each game that aren't sheltered. Perhaps taking them from Kessel's line? Currently Kessel and co. are playing about 20 minutes a game. Maybe lower that to about 19 and give that extra time to Kadri's line to see how he can do with those tougher minutes. Basically just giving him another 1-2 shifts a game against tough opponents, just to ease him into tougher competition. He won't be able to play sheltered minutes his whole career.

I'm just worried that in a shortened season the 20+ minutes a night consistently may catch up to Kessel/Bozak/JVR eventually.

leafspring*

Icetime is not based solely on potential offensive output. The reason why Kadri's stats looks very good is because Carlyle is using him effectively in situations he can win at/in. It's likely that putting more pressure on Kadri at this stage in his development may do more harm than good, which it looks like Carlyle understands.

Personally I think Carlyle is doing a fantastic job with icetime dispersion among the team. Hell Colton Orr is now playing effective 3rd line minutes and Fraser is a +13 or something like that. It's great to see.

Very cool bro,and i wouldn't disagree with that either. I will be simply listening to opinions in this thread. nice post. Trying to gauge opinion is all. Yours respected!

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I wanna see Kadri with more playing time. He's been our most consistent and productive player offensively. I'd like to see Grabo with less time. It'd get a point across that he needs to step his game up and it would give our more productive lines more time to play.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Grabo's line basically goes against the other teams top line every game...

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Grabo's line basically goes against the other teams top line every game...

This.

Grabo starts in the offensive zone only 32.9% of the time..thats ridiculously low, and shows how much Carlyle is leaning on that line defensively. He has the highest QoC out of all our centres as well (Quality of Competition). Source: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Well, there's nothing like trying to micro-manage a guy like Carlyle... :sarcasm:

I think Carlyle has so far done a fantastic job with the ice-time. Earlier in the season, when he was playing Phaneuf/Kostka 30+ minutes, I thought: "****... he's basically saying he has ZERO faith in the other guys..."

But you know what? That was his way of letting everyone else know they needed to step up and they have. Guys like Fraser and Franson are now playing much bigger roles and looking better every game.

Suffice to say, the few times I've started wondering if Carlyle knows what he's doing, he goes all Miyagi on us armchair GMs and suddenly... we know Kung-Fu.

leafspring*

This.

Grabo starts in the offensive zone only 32.9% of the time..thats ridiculously low, and shows how much Carlyle is leaning on that line defensively. He has the highest QoC out of all our centres as well (Quality of Competition). Source: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

Kadri leads in alot of stats too. Grabo has been playing very well defensively,and finally got something for his work last night. Kadri's not starting in alot of situations because he is working on being a better Face-off man. I think that is the main contributing factor to his reduced ice-time.Seond being the amount of penalty killing the team does. We are up there in minutes per game in the league.

The power-play needs to improve soon to balance out things. It needs serious work down low,and that net presence is still a work in progress.Kadri should get first power-play unit when possibe i think,but Bozak is so good on face-offs he takes his spot. That said,Bozak should be going to the net more,and doesn't always.

Could Kadri replace Bozak(switch) on more offensive zone face-offs to get him more minutes with Kessel. I believe it can be tried more.

Alazais

Jun 19, 2010
Well, there's nothing like trying to micro-manage a guy like Carlyle... :sarcasm:

I think Carlyle has so far done a fantastic job with the ice-time. Earlier in the season, when he was playing Phaneuf/Kostka 30+ minutes, I thought: "****... he's basically saying he has ZERO faith in the other guys..."

But you know what? That was his way of letting everyone else know they needed to step up and they have. Guys like Fraser and Franson are now playing much bigger roles and looking better every game.

Suffice to say, the few times I've started wondering if Carlyle knows what he's doing, he goes all Miyagi on us armchair GMs and suddenly... we know Kung-Fu.

This wins internet points.

mokspeed

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
I think Kadri is not getting more minutes cuz Orr is on his line lol - when Frattin gets back I think that the Komarov/MacA - Kadri - Frattin line will be leaned on more heavily.

I'm also REALLY happy that Franson and Fraser are playing so well and being leaned on more.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure whether or not to lean on Kadri or not. The case can be made that, look, hes our leading scorer in limited minutes, getting lots of offensive zone starts. So logic would probably dictate to most that giving Kadri more icetime would increase his production.

However, on the flip side, he is playing somewhat sheltered minutes. And that is no slight to him because the fact that hes putting up points in the limited role hes in right now is impressive to say the least. He has a ton of protection against other teams top lines and top defensemen. Hes got the Kessel and Grabovski line ahead of him, so he's generally playing against 2nd or 3rd lines, which means he has the upper hand in terms of talent on 90% of the players hes playing against. (Except Pens, Philly, etc..) Pushing him into a bigger role, with Kessel, playing upwards of 18 minutes a night might reduce his production because hes playing against the best players.

For me, I'd try him between Kessel, maybe for 3 or 4 games, get a feel for what he can do. If he cant produce in unsheltered minutes, put him back on the 3rd line and let him produce there. Gives us scoring depth, which is what every winning team needs. Best case scenario, he turns into the 70+ point playmaking center that we've been expecting him to become since drafting him.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Kadri is being sheltered and given minutes & used in a role in which he can exceed. He's not ready for consistently facing tougher competition at this stage in his career. How Carlyle has used and handled Kadri is probably one of the finest aspects of his coaching so far and a big reason why he's had as much success as he's had. He's a solid line-matching coach, and I love it. Great when he knows how to utilize his assets in an effective manner. Kadri, as great as he's been playing, is still developing into a guy that can be used in more situations. Patience people, it's also much easier to be patient when he's producing like this you'd think haha.

Few things I don't particularly agree with on the back-end (although I understood the rationale behind it better than most evidently did...specifically with Kostka), but overall I wouldn't change that much.

Maybe wouldn't dress both enforcers most nights as it isn't always required (a proper heavyweight & a middleweight is more than enough) and we're sort of hurting our overall quality a bit having them both in there. I understand the benefit from having an enforcer, but two is just unnecessary. Especially when we are running a third line that is being given sheltered scoring minutes.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Kadri is being sheltered and given minutes & used in a role in which he can exceed. He's not ready for consistently facing tougher competition at this stage in his career. How Carlyle has used and handled Kadri is probably one of the finest aspects of his coaching so far and a big reason why he's had as much success as he's had. He's a solid line-matching coach, and I love it. Great when he knows how to utilize his assets in an effective manner. Kadri, as great as he's been playing, is still developing into a guy that can be used in more situations. Patience people, it's also much easier to be patient when he's producing like this you'd think haha.

Few things I don't particularly agree with on the back-end (although I understood the rationale behind it better than most evidently did...specifically with Kostka), but overall I wouldn't change that much.

Maybe wouldn't dress both enforcers most nights as it isn't always required (a proper heavyweight & a middleweight is more than enough) and we're sort of hurting our overall quality a bit having them both in there. I understand the benefit from having an enforcer, but two is just unnecessary. Especially when we are running a third line that is being given sheltered scoring minutes.

I agree completely with the Kadri part. Carlyle also did it with Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan and they seem to have turned out ok.

I disagree with your enforcer point. The Orr-McClement-Mclaren line was very effective when they were together. They could creat great cycles down low and tire out the opposition not to mention they're good protection. You may think that just because other teams don't have as many enforcers that we should match them, but having both of them does limit cheap shots. Case in point; the Montreal game. They started to take cheap shots and we retaliated, hell we even made Gorges cry.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Gotta bring Gards back, it's just silly not having him in the lineup. Kadri should be getting more pp time and hopefully soon we can cut Orr's ice time. Nonis needs to upgrade MacArthur to someone a little more industrious. Another big body who can skate and go to the net

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
On a side note it was beneficial having Orr matched against Chris Neil because Neil is a chicken**** and he didn't touch a soul all game long like a good boy:laugh:

leafspring*

On a side note it was beneficial having Orr matched against Chris Neil because Neil is a chicken**** and he didn't touch a soul all game long like a good boy:laugh:

Yeah exactly. Completely owned by Orr because he didn't even want to make eye contact with him. It was yellow if you ask me.How many times did he beat around leafs the last couple years with wilson keeping Orr out of the line-up lol.

Hopefully the skill player lovers read this.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You continue to shelter Kadri as Boston sheltered Seguin, and next year you up the ante.

Nazem is improving his confidence by leaps and bounds with each game this year, continue on this path, no need to throw him to the wolves this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->