Proposal: Who should get bought out Abdelkader or Nielsen

Abby or Nielsen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At the very least, both buried in Grand Rapids next season, regardless who is the coach. If either of them is on the roster next year, than I have to question Steve's judgement honestly.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Depends, if we're going to sign players and bring up younger guys then it's not just the money but the roster spot.

I'd buyout Abdelkader, mostly because his style of play isn't going to hold up with his body, and we save 2 million on cap while only taking on 1 million for the three years prior.

If Red Wings aren't planing on signing anyone and letting the youth develop in GR for another year, then it's not problem having either guy on the team.

Abdelkader buyout, Frans Nielson get burried/sent to AHL. (Just what I would do)

Reactions: Wearebadmr91

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I think it’s easier next season to buyout Nielsen and bury Abdelkader.

Considering both guys have been getting scratched late in the season, I would be floored if either guy starts next year with the Wings. If either guy goes to GR, I would suspect they get called up throughout the year, much like Ericsson this season.

Reactions: odin1981

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Agree with the logic of not buying out either, but what I worry about is this preoccupation with putting them out there night after night hoping that they'll suddenly get good again. I'm not sure who that's on, I suspect Blashill.

The plan for next year (new coach or no new coach) needs to include a hard sit-down conversation with both of them, with consistent action throughout the year.

I know this may sound harsh, but they both should be stripped of their A's as well. Larkin should have the C, Bertuzzi and Glendening the A's next year.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I vote neither.

They don't really need the cap room just yet. Both contracts are done with their front loaded years after this season and have loosened up in the NTC department, so they might be good candidates for a team trying to get to cap floor. They may also be able to leverage Seattle to take one of them in the expansion draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I do like the idea of building lines better without them next year.... like a lot.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-UFA/Trade-Zadina
Flip-Rasmussen-Svech
Helm-Glendening-Smith

But yeah, tough pill to swallow from a cap perspective.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm acutally kinda pissed we did not trade for Trocheck, given I thought he went for a very reasonable price. Especially if we end up winning the #1 pick in the lottery...

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Lafreniere-Trocheck-Zadina
Fabbri-Rasmussen-Helm/Flip
Abby-Glendening-Smith/Svech

That lineup could actually do a little damage potentially.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I wouldn’t buy out either. We don’t need the cap relief, but extending the cap hits may cross into our competitive window, when every million counts.

I’d have them both in GR next year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm acutally kinda pissed we did not trade for Trocheck, given I thought he went for a very reasonable price. Especially if we end up winning the #1 pick in the lottery...

Definitely felt like a missed opportunity to bring in immediate help for the 2nd line.

But while the price was indeed reasonable, the Panthers wanted roster players that I'm not sure we had to offer. And a prospect like Eetu would be like us giving up Veleno.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Nielsen buyout is affordable, there are better options at center Steve could have for next season. It's probably worth doing.

Abdelkader will probably be sent down to GR Matt Moulson style by November next season, which won't bury his cap hit, but it will be for the best.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I want to believe y'all but I feel like you're being optimistic about Abdelkader getting sent to the minors next season.

Reactions: RedMenace

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would only be okay with a buyout if its making room for taking on another team's bad contract and their first round pick :)

Seriously what is the likelihood that A: the only way we can free up a needed contract slot is by buyout, or B we need the money for something. Why do something just to do it if it has a negative consequence. If you do something that provides absolutely no benefit, yet hits you a negative consequence no matter how small, isn't that actually a little bit insane?

Edit: I can not believe people are picking an Abby buyout. You want Abby's contract on our books until 2025-26 when we can just wait and be completely rid of it in 2022-23. Seriously? o_O

Last edited:

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
I'm also in the neither camp. A good team would be looking to shed those contracts in some way. In our situation the best course of action is to let the deals expire without drawing them out, since we don't need the cap space in the short term but we might want it later on. We still have a year of Weiss and Zetterberg to deal with as well.

If we need the roster space, we bury the players in the AHL. I think both Abdelkader and Nielsen are borderline NHLers at this point, probably on most teams they don't make the roster. However, it is not like we've got tons of prospects pushing for those spots and 4th line minutes isn't the best way to help a prospect grow anyway.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can see Abby having a resurgence next year and upping his goal production by infinity%.

Absolutely! It's quite realistic to imagine Abby's goal totals surge from this season. Nowhere to go but up!

Le sigh. How depressing there's 3 more years on a contract for a guy who is having his worst season since being a rookie in 2009. Holland's need to lock up a guy like Abby for a lifetime deal was so damn stupid. I know we've beat it to death, but imagine signing a player this off-season to a 3 year deal for $4.25 million per that's coming off a 0 goal, 3 point campaign.

Good. Gravy.

Reactions: RedMenace

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Absolutely! It's quite realistic to imagine Abby's goal totals surge from this season. Nowhere to go but up!

Le sigh. How depressing there's 3 more years on a contract for a guy who is having his worst season since being a rookie in 2009. Holland's need to lock up a guy like Abby for a lifetime deal was so damn stupid. I know we've beat it to death, but imagine signing a player this off-season to a 3 year deal for $4.25 million per that's coming off a 0 goal, 3 point campaign.

Good. Gravy.

But he's only 33! Aren't NHL players all consistent until about age 40? See Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom.... Lifetime deals all around!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But he's only 33! Aren't NHL players all consistent until about age 40? See Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom.... Lifetime deals all around!

I have no doubt that Holland's success with older players maintaining form did shift his perceptions on contracts like this. From that perspective, it's almost understandable. Still dumb, but hey, at least I can see where he was coming from.

Plus when you sign deals like that, you anticipate the cap going up each year, and by the tail end it's going to be much easier to handle having a $4 million dollar grinder. Again, I kind of get it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Let's also not take into account that probably more than half Abby's point totals were products of who he was paying with. Maybe don't give a scrub a lifetime contract after they over-achieve playing with two hall of famers. I guess maybe its rocket science.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Does anyone have any way of providing comps for the cost of trading one, or both, of those mentioned? Is there some sort of formula used by GMs that tells them the value of X amount of cap space with X amount of term vs. the player value or replacement value? Is Seattle an option?

I really hate the idea of making bad contracts last longer at lower rates, I want to forget these years as quickly as possible. I think that trading picks with the contract (even with some retention) would be better than anything not LTIR, or riding them out.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Absolutely mind boggling that some want them both left right where they are when they have nothing to offer and could even be detrimental

Oh but we don’t need that cap space? Sure

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Both are black holes in terms of contracts, production, leadership, grit.. The list could go on. Buying them out only makes sense if we plan to go in full youth mode.. If that isn't the case. We let them sit in the press box and/or Grand Rapids. They don't seem to have much pride in terms of still wanting to be contributors or living up to their contract / keeping pride with the Winged Wheel on.. So let them sit and collect pay cheques like they want too. They will come up with a way to end up on LTIR. I wouldn't say that about many players but these two haven't shown any emotion, leadership, nothing... Completely the opposite of how you want to represent the franchise and not what you want as veteran leadership for a rebuilding club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad