Proposal: Who should get bought out Abdelkader or Nielsen

Abby or Nielsen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd really have rather voted for neither. I don't see any reason to extend the damage of their contracts. We have no need for cap space from them right now so the only real benefit is opening up a contract and roster spot. I don't think we're pressed for either though so I'd rather just bench/bury them when a prospect can take their spot and wait until their contracts run out naturally.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The amount we save on our cap for burying them and the amount we save for buying them out is nearly identical. if anything, we save more burying them because the wings don't end up having extra years tacked on. If Yzerman buys either out it is a dumb move, wholly unnecessary.

I cannot see it with Nielsen. I could see in a couple years wanting the space on Abdelkader if the rebuild goes ideally. We will see.

Of course because Frans contract was front loaded his buyout penalty is pretty minor. You also think with the money owed perhaps he just LTIR hangs it up shortly. Curious if when it comes time to ride the bus for Abby which could be as early as next season honestly if his knee issues that he seems to have never gotten over since the World Cup finish him off.

Abby Buyouts:

This Off-season
Justin Abdelkader Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Next Off-season

Frans:
This Off-season
Frans Nielsen Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You see both don't carry massive numbers, with an ELC player and the money saved we come out ahead. But no real reason to pull the trigger unless a #1 pick, Krug and Lehner are coming or something... So a lot would have to happen.

There is also the belief that the upcoming USA tv deal will rocket the cap up, so carrying players on bad deals will also become easier if we aren't trending towards contending.

Last edited:

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Both players absolutely deserve to be bought out but I voted for Abdelkader. At least Frans Nielsen has scored

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I don’t see the point. As much as they bring us down on the ice, they are battle tested, respected vets. They are good for the young guys too.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
We’re going to suck for the next three years. Just ride the rap at this point.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
There is no option for neither what is the point of putting cap on the books for longer when their contracts do nothing to hinder current plans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I cannot see it with Nielsen. I could see in a couple years wanting the space on Abdelkader if the rebuild goes ideally. We will see.

Of course because Frans contract was front loaded his buyout penalty is pretty minor. You also think with the money owed perhaps he just LTIR hangs it up shortly. Curious if when it comes time to ride the bus for Abby which could be as early as next season honestly if his knee issues that he seems to have never gotten over since the World Cup finish him off.

Abby Buyouts:

This Off-season

Next Off-season

Frans:
This Off-season
Frans Nielsen Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You see both don't carry massive numbers, with an ELC player and the money saved we come out ahead. But no real reason to pull the trigger unless a #1 pick, Krug and Lehner are coming or something... So a lot would have to happen.

There is also the belief that the upcoming USA tv deal will rocket the cap up, so carrying players on bad deals will also become easier if we aren't trending towards contending.

The penalty in the extra years of Nielsen's deal is minor but the two years actually remaining on his contract also have negligible savings. If we just bury a guy, we save a little over $1m on his cap this season. So, burying Nielsen would leave him with ~$4.25m counting against us for two years. His buyout cap hit for those two years? $3.4m and $4.4m. Plus two more years of $660k. Gator is a little better off, but the savings difference still gets eaten up by the extra years we'd have to pay over just waiting out his contract.

The Wings already have so many contracts coming off the books and so little replacing them that we could sign Krug and Lehner and still not worry about the cap ceiling. And if we need the contract space, just let Perlini and Erne walk.

I'm just not seeing any real argument for buying these guys out. We don't save enough in cap space and it's highly unlikely we need to move their contracts to stay below that 50 thresh hold.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Agreed with those voting neither.

Wake me when there are enough good players competing for roster spots that a buyout or AHL burial serves a purpose (other than shedding the dead weight).

Now do I hope the above scenario happens sooner than later? Sure. But until that hypothetical logjam arrives, there's no point in volunteering for even a minor financial penalty.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Neither. Unless we are cap strapped and absolutely need to do so in order to compete, then there should be no reason. Keep them. Abdelkader as piss poor as he is, has been a career red wing. I’m the first to bash his play and the day his contract was signed I hated it, but this team won’t need the money to compete in 3 years. We are still a while away, and worst case we send him down to Grand Rapids. Same with Nielsen; 2 more years isn’t bad. I honestly think under a new coach he can flourish again.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah neither. Bury them in the minors so the extra years arent tacked on from a buyout and they get the extra roster spots. Maybe one or both of them would retire instead of riding a bus in the AHL as well.

The wings buying them out would seem kinda stupid really. They dont need cap space at all and buying them out would potentially push some of their salary to when they actually need the cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad