Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

ian09

Dec 6, 2010
Canada
None of them have an extra year over RNH. Actually Landeskog is the one who is a year behind IIRC.

So why in the 2008-2009 season Couturier played almost a full season while RNH could only play 5 games with the age rule?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Because you don't think Edmonton has the pieces to move up?

Likely a case of not many teams in the top 10 willing to move down. But it depends more on where the LA pick falls. If they fail to make the playoffs and its 12-14 we've got a whole different conversation. But after the first 4 picks, I doubt any team decides to move out of 5th-8th. I honestly think most scouts recognize Strome, Murphy, Hamilton and Huberdeau to be potential blue chip prospects and I doubt any team gives up the chance to draft them. No one knows for certain (obviously no one saw Fowler dropping like he did), but I'd say those guys are close to locks for 5-8. And if one of them doesn't go in that spot, it means a team is real big on someone else and wouldn't move from that spot anyway (unless they know they can get them later in the 1st rd - a very risky proposition).

I say trust in Stu. I'd be more interested in acquiring extra picks for the LA pick with his keen eye, that is unless the guy available is too good to give up.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
So why in the 2008-2009 season Couturier played almost a full season while RNH could only play 5 games with the age rule?

Oops. Thats what i get for going off memory :laugh:

Difference in age? (Dec 7 1992 vs April 17 1993) Nugent-Hopkins missed the cutoff date?

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
Taylor Hall needs an elite center to play with... either RNH or Couturier would be good fits. Defensive prospects generally take longer to develop and they don't usually impact the game as much as a top center would.

I thought Cogliano was the key to the future:sarcasm:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If the Wild pick in the 12-15 range (and there isn't anybody we really want there) and the Kings pick falls in the 20-22 range, I could see trade-down as a possibility. I'm not sure if value is right but would LA's 1st + Edm's 2nd for MN's 1st be intriguing?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Taylor Hall needs an elite center to play with... either RNH or Couturier would be good fits. Defensive prospects generally take longer to develop and they don't usually impact the game as much as a top center would.
Says who?He's got Eberle already. All he needs is a nice two way playmaking center with size.

As for the whole defense takes longer thing. Adam Larsson is a bit of a different situation. Guys already making an impact in a mens league. There's no reason he can't be a top 4 guy next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Wild pick in the 12-15 range (and there isn't anybody we really want there) and the Kings pick falls in the 20-22 range, I could see trade-down as a possibility. I'm not sure if value is right but would LA's 1st + Edm's 2nd for MN's 1st be intriguing?

That's a lot to give up, it'd have to be someone that we were extremely high on to give up that kind of ransom, I mean package :sarcasm:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I like Oleksiak a lot lately. I'd be happy with Couturier/Oleksiak but if we trade up I really want Larsson and Strome/Huberdeau.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Will Alex Plante be ready for the NHL next year? If so, they should get Couturier, they need a big body to replace Penner and compliment the smaller Eberle and Hall.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
You know what? Let's make Team Sweden-Oilers edition.

Draft Larsson
Draft Zibenejad

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Will Alex Plante be ready for the NHL next year? If so, they should get Couturier, they need a big body to replace Penner and compliment the smaller Eberle and Hall.

Plante look overwhelmed on the Oilers the other night. I'm not convinced he has the mobility to be anything more than a bottom pairing D.

zeus3007*

Plante look overwhelmed on the Oilers the other night. I'm not convinced he has the mobility to be anything more than a bottom pairing D.

I'm sure if he is up on the big team next year, it will be to replace Vandermeer in a bottom pair role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad