Who should Conor McGregor fight next?

Who would you like to see Conor fight next?

• Total voters

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Who would you like to see Conor fight next? There are a lot of options out there. Georges St. Pierre would be the biggest money fight in UFC history but George is much bigger than Conor and has health issues. He could complete the trilogy with Diaz or he could go back to featherweight to reclaim the title from Holloway. He also may not deserve a title shot coming off a loss in which case he should fight a contender like Iaquinta, Barbosa or Ortega.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Can’t figure out how to edit the mistake in my thread title, perhaps a mod can help me out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Assuming Ferguson fights Khabib, then Conor v Nate 3.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Other - Dustin Poirier

Honestly, I think Poirier and Cowboy should at least be in the poll. There's been more talk about them being Conor's next opponent lately than Barboza, Ortega, or GSP.

I've said it in other threads, but I think Poirier is the perfect matchup at this point for Conor. It's a good fight, they have history, it makes sense in terms of the division, and it's a fight that he likely wins. To keep Conor at this superstar level (and maybe in the sport at all), he needs to win his next fight. More than anybody else, I like his chances against Poirier.

Max or GSP would definitely be bigger fights, but I think they are terrible matchups for Conor. Khabib-Tony should happen next. I don't have a whole lot of interest in Barboza, Al, or Ortega. I want to see that Nate trilogy, but I think it could happen at any time and be just as big.

My top 3 would be:
1. Poirer
2. Cowboy
3. Nate

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Other - Dustin Poirier

Honestly, I think Poirier and Cowboy should at least be in the poll. There's been more talk about them being Conor's next opponent lately than Barboza, Ortega, or GSP.

I've said it in other threads, but I think Poirier is the perfect matchup at this point for Conor. It's a good fight, they have history, it makes sense in terms of the division, and it's a fight that he likely wins. To keep Conor at this superstar level (and maybe in the sport at all), he needs to win his next fight. More than anybody else, I like his chances against Poirier.

Max or GSP would definitely be bigger fights, but I think they are terrible matchups for Conor. Khabib-Tony should happen next. I don't have a whole lot of interest in Barboza, Al, or Ortega. I want to see that Nate trilogy, but I think it could happen at any time and be just as big.

My top 3 would be:
1. Poirer
2. Cowboy
3. Nate

All the more reason not to fight Poirier

It's one thing for McGregor to lose to a champion like Khabib, but the last thing the UFC wants is for him to lose to someone the average fan has never heard of

The risk/reward just isn't there, IMO

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All the more reason not to fight Poirier

It's one thing for McGregor to lose to a champion like Khabib, but the last thing the UFC wants is for him to lose to someone the average fan has never heard of

The risk/reward just isn't there, IMO
I disagree completely.

First, the opponent almost doesn't even matter. It's the result that matters. He needs a win. Getting beat by Max isn't going to be any better than getting beat by Poirier. One of those is much more likely to happen, though. A loss of any kind pretty much removes any remaining Conor allure.

Second, if fans don't know Dustin Poirier, are they even really fans? I'm being partially sarcastic, but seriously, if they don't know Poirier, they are only tuning in because it's Conor anyway. Poirier's last 3 fights have been main events (all of which he finished by TKO, BTW). He's #3 in the division. He's 8-1 since he lost to Conor 4-5 years ago. If they don't know him now, it's a pretty easy sell.

Lastly, the risk/reward is perfect IMO. It's the lowest risk fight on that list IMO and the reward comes in that it sets up another title fight for him and possibly a rematch with Khabib which could do over 2M PPV buys again. Sure, he could get a title fight with Max at 145 right now, but I'll eat my hat if Conor ever weighs 145lb again in his life.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I disagree completely.

First, the opponent almost doesn't even matter. It's the result that matters. He needs a win. Getting beat by Max isn't going to be any better than getting beat by Poirier. One of those is much more likely to happen, though. A loss of any kind pretty much removes any remaining Conor allure.

Second, if fans don't know Dustin Poirier, are they even really fans? I'm being partially sarcastic, but seriously, if they don't know Poirier, they are only tuning in because it's Conor anyway. Poirier's last 3 fights have been main events (all of which he finished by TKO, BTW). He's #3 in the division. He's 8-1 since he lost to Conor 4-5 years ago. If they don't know him now, it's a pretty easy sell.

Lastly, the risk/reward is perfect IMO. It's the lowest risk fight on that list IMO and the reward comes in that it sets up another title fight for him and possibly a rematch with Khabib which could do over 2M PPV buys again. Sure, he could get a title fight with Max at 145 right now, but I'll eat my hat if Conor ever weighs 145lb again in his life.

If he beats Poirier, is he a champion? No, so the reward isn't there

Plus, you seem to want to have your cake and eat it too

On the one hand, you're saying Poirier is the easiest fight with the lowest risk, and then in the same message you're saying Poirier has been on an absolute tear and has been nearly unbeatable since he last fought McGregor

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If he beats Poirier, is he a champion? No, so the reward isn't there

Plus, you seem to want to have your cake and eat it too

On the one hand, you're saying Poirier is the easiest fight with the lowest risk, and then in the same message you're saying Poirier has been on an absolute tear and has been nearly unbeatable since he last fought McGregor
As I said, if he beats Poirier, the reward is it "sets up another title fight for him". IMO, winning his next fight is the only way he will ever fight for a belt again. But also, let's be real. It's still Conor. His star isn't quite as bright as it was before Khabib, but he's still going to sell over 1M PPV regardless of his opponent. At least until he loses again.

I'm not saying Poirier is the lowest risk because he's not a good fighter. He is, but I think stylistically, it's the best matchup for Conor. And for any "fans" who don't know Poirier, they can look up and see "Oh shit, this guy is pretty good". So it would be an easy fight for the UFC to sell.

Listen, I'm with you. Going down to beat Max for the 145lb belt would be legendary. I just don't believe for a second he would even consider trying to make that cut again. He looked like he was on death's door every time he did and that was when he was a young, hungry fighter trying to prove himself. Now, he's the biggest star the sport has ever seen with however many millions in his bank account. I also don't think he beats this Max. He's too long, fast, has too good of cardio, and can take a punch. I think Max would wear him out and start teeing off on him.

Do you really think Conor would beat Max? Or you just think it's the biggest single fight to make?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Holloway. Gives Max a chance to avenge his last loss. Gives McGregor a chance to show the first time wasn't a fluke and rebuild some street cred after looking really bad in his loss to Khabib. Plus it would be a really fun fight to see since both guys style is to stand up and throw.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the Nate Diaz trilogy fight makes the most sense to happen now. It's a big fight that people will be interested in and for Conor and the UFC it's a winnable fight for him after being embarrassed by Khabib.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the Nate Diaz trilogy fight makes the most sense to happen now. It's a big fight that people will be interested in and for Conor and the UFC it's a winnable fight for him after being embarrassed by Khabib.

I agree with this (as I said above) but I should add that I want the fight at 155lbs.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I agree with this (as I said above) but I should add that I want the fight at 155lbs.
I agree, too, but I think that fight is always going to be in demand. Even if Conor loses his next fight, people are always going to be interested in the trilogy. So IMO, Conor is going to keep that fight in his back pocket as a "last big payday" type of thing.

I will say, if Conor had 1 fight left and then he was going to retire, I would want it to be the Nate trilogy.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
From this list Holloway but give him Poirier so he can get a win again.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Agreed 100%

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like running fights back, Iaquinta and Lee was fun both times and it's cool to see two guys as they get better.

McGregor vs Poirier for me, I've been so impressed with Dustin I want to see him do well

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I like running fights back, Iaquinta and Lee was fun both times and it's cool to see two guys as they get better.

McGregor vs Poirier for me, I've been so impressed with Dustin I want to see him do well
I think Dustin makes it competitive and entertaining but ultimately he still gets slept. Unfortunately one thing you can't really improve is your chin (the only exception being guys who had weak chins because of too much weight cutting and then went up a weight class that was more natural, like Robert Whittaker), and Dustin has been slept before and has looked 'chinny' in other fights. And he's primarily a standup fighter, so he doesn't have any ground game that could pose a threat to Conor.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I think he and Al would talk a lot of trash and sell a bunch of ppvs. Gives him a chance to get some of his mojo back.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Dustin makes it competitive and entertaining but ultimately he still gets slept. Unfortunately one thing you can't really improve is your chin (the only exception being guys who had weak chins because of too much weight cutting and then went up a weight class that was more natural, like Robert Whittaker), and Dustin has been slept before and has looked 'chinny' in other fights. And he's primarily a standup fighter, so he doesn't have any ground game that could pose a threat to Conor.
Yes, exactly. There are bad matchups for Conor because they are wrestlers (Khabib, GSP, etc.) and there are bad matchups who can take a punch and keep putting pressure on (Max, Nate, Tony, etc.). Poirier, a legit top contender IMO, doesn't fall into either of those categories, though. Poirier to me is Eddie 2.0. They're pretty good all around, but don't have iron chins and don't have much (any?) reach on Conor. That's not a great combo for fighting Conor. They are still good enough fighters that they can beat anyone in the world, but don't match up well against Conor.

So for me, there are a couple of schools of thought:
Give Conor a legit chance at a legit win : Poirier, maybe Cowboy, maybe Al
Give Conor the biggest fight that makes at least some sense : Max, Nate
Give Conor the biggest fight regardless : Khabib, GSP
Way long shot, if Khabib gets suspended for significantly longer : Tony

Reactions: 1specter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think he and Al would talk a lot of trash and sell a bunch of ppvs. Gives him a chance to get some of his mojo back.
I don't disagree, but I think the same is true of Poirier and IMO, Poirier makes more sense in terms of the rankings and has earned the shot.

Reactions: 1specter

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think they'll do a little LW tournament

Mcgregor vs Poirer faces winner of Khabib vs Ferguson

I think Poirer is the easiest matchup for Mcgregor in the top 5 and i think that the Tony vs Khabib fight needs to happen. If Mcgregor wins then it gives him some more confidence and more legitimacy to get another title shot. This tournament might set up another Khabib vs Conor fight, which would be more anticipated given Conor coming off the win.

If the UFC is smart they won't ever match him up again with another good wrestler , other than Khabib II or GSP (Money fights)

Also at this point the UFC should not be booking any fights with the Diaz brothers. They're so unreliable, they'll get booked to something then all of a sudden say they're not fighting

Last edited:
Reactions: funruiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad