Who should coach the Flames

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
With 8 coaches fired before the 2020 trade deadline. Can't really count the Flames head coach position change as being fired due the nature surrounding Peters alleged poor behaviour towards a player.

In the end with Peters gone and what we seen so far of Ward plus with 8 coaches canned who do you think would be the best fit for the Flames next season? I heard Darryl Sutter name come up. Who else would be good. I would like Jon Cooper if he is let go after season end.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
With 8 coaches fired before the 2020 trade deadline. Can't really count the Flames head coach position change as being fired due the nature surrounding Peters alleged poor behaviour towards a player.

In the end with Peters gone and what we seen so far of Ward plus with 8 coaches canned who do you think would be the best fit for the Flames next season? I heard Darryl Sutter name come up. Who else would be good. I would like Jon Cooper if he is let go after season end.

Peter Laviolette would be the perfect coach for this team.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I do feel Laviolette would be the best fit. Gallant might be a good choice, and Boudreau, despite his lack of playoff success, has done some pretty good things with a more open style of play (which I feel would work well for this team). Any of those three I'd be happy with.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Personally think Laviolette would be the best fit for this roster. Gallant would be interesting but the way he was let go from his last two jobs does makes me wonder. Boudreau I honestly can't stand but I do think he's a hell of a coach.

Those are the 3 options that interest me. So naturally the Flames won't even interview them. I've been warming up to Ward a little bit. Kind of assume he gets the rest of the season.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Laviollette has taken 3 different teams to the SC finals and won the cup once. Not bad for a guy that played only 12 games in the NHL. He'd be my first choice at only 55, Gallant (my 2nd choice) is 56 and Boudreau is 65.

I like Ward and perhaps its his time to shine as a head coach, but my feeling is his role will always be an assistant. An assistant can be the friend of the players. The Head Coach has to be able to bust some balls and Ward doesn't have that personality.

Reactions: viper0220

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It will be a massive black mark on Treliving's tenure if he doesn't take a serious run at least at one of three big names out there

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Think people are forgetting the biggest factor in any of Gallant, Laviolette or Boudreau landing here; money. All three of those guys will be getting at least 2.5M, but more likely, 3M+ per season on their next contracts and I kinda of doubt Treliving is the one who sets the coaching budget. Would think that's above his pay grade.

In other words, the chances any of those guys land here likely depend more on ownership opening up their wallets than Treliving deciding to go after the next up and coming hidden gem.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
With the group we currently have, it really doesn't matter. Unless we can fill a few holes, on a budget, the new guys fate will be the same as the last 4 guys.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Coaching is definitely an issue. It's just a bunch or guys making random plays right now.

Even Glen Gutlutzan had some kind of system. This is a much worse team.

But it's too late now...tank for a pick and rebuild with a new coach next year.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
That's what the Islanders are currently proving wrong at the moment. A good coach will have surprising effects.
The Islanders have a top 15 centre who actually can playmake. We don't.

Also I don't think this core has it in them mentally. They quit every other year. They tune out hardass coaches, and want a country club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad