Line Combos: Who should be our 2C?o should the Wh18-19 Wh

Who should be our 2C?

• Total voters

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The Jets sure looked good last year with an upgrade at 2C. With the likelihood that Stastny will move on, how do we fill that hole? Do we shuffle the line-up? Acquire a UFA? Figure out a way to get Stastny back? Or considering we were a pretty good team before the deadline, do we just go back to Little?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Next season Roslovic/Little, long term is like it to be Roslovic but as a long term 2C sleeper I hope Vesalainen gets tried out at Center in the AHL and can possible progress from there on as he reminds me allot of Scheifele(as how he’s great in pretty every facet of the offensive game and great along the boards and infront of the net).

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Stastny: Tons of chemistry at 5v5 and on the PP. He'll be rightfully looking for a solid paycheque with term. Might end up being overpriced at the tail-end if it's more than 3 or 4 years.

Little: We were already a good team with Little at 2C. His numbers weren't what we're used to last year, but a bit of a bounce-back seems like a reasonable expectation considering he's still fairly young and has very talented players around him.

Wheeler: Did an admirable job as a C when called upon this year. It would be fair to say that considering how good he is on the wing, having him be a pretty good 2C is a waste of his talents. But if he has the whole preseason to adjust to the role, could he give us that 1-2 punch down the middle?

Roslovic: He's shown flashes of high-end talent. Has a good work ethic and a high hockey IQ. I would say his ceiling is as a mid-level 1C or elite 2C. But he's not there yet. Can he develop on the fly? Would putting him in this role force him to adapt? And would that learning curve be fast enough to get us back into the post season?

Thornton: Jumbo Joe probably would never leave San Jose. He's got unfinished business there and he's put down strong roots in the Bay Area by all accounts. But just for poops and giggles, his advanced age will likely mean that he'll be signing a relatively affordable short-term contract. If the Sharks want to move on, his size, talent and experience would be of immense benefit to a young team. Can we convince him that we have wifi?

Tavares: Definitely the best player named here and will get paid as such. That said, all indications are that winning is more important to him than money, so maybe he'd rather take $10M here than $12M on Long Island. We'd have to trade at least 1 high-paid player for futures to fit him under the cap, but that may be a good thing as we'll likely need cheap elc players going forward, and having a few extra picks in future drafts will help that immensely.

My personal preference here is for Tavares. There'll be some strong competition for his services, but I think that whole "nobody will ever sign in Winnipeg" idea has been fully debunked after Stastny waived his no-trade to come here. If Tavares wants to win, we might actually be the best possible option for him.

Reactions: Ippenator

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Probably can't afford Stastny.

I said Roslovic. Have him center Laine and Ehlers, perhaps shelter this line and give it mostly ozone starts.
Stick Perreault to Littles side and he will succeed with whomever is the other winger.

This is assuming the first line is CSW. If it gets changed up, to say ESW, I'm not opposed to a second line of saw Perreault-Little-Laine, then Connor-Roslovic-X can be the sheltered line.

Perhaps we try Laine-Chef-Wheeler again? 2nd line of Ehlers-Little-Roslovic would be interesting, and could free up Perreault to carry the 3rd line.

Basically what I'm saying is Little would still be a more than adequate 2nd line center, as long as he's not centering Laine and Ehlers. That line just couldn't do it offensively.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Little is most likely.

Stastny is an option, but they'll need to jettison some salary (Perreault and Myers, most likely).

I think it'll end up being...

Scheifele
Little
Lowry
Roslovic / Copp

Or something like that...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Little will be the most likely option... The Jets were a top 5 team pacing at 110 points w/o Stastny, which included time w/o Scheif and Lowry so it is not all doom and gloom as some will suggest.

Reactions: Duke749

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I vote Little because I think he's a solid 2C who continues to be underrated by this fan base even after moving down from 1C.

I also think we have to give up to much in other areas to be able to afford Stastny let alone Tavares. Both great players but will just cost too much to fit within our cap situation. Especially Tavares. How many pieces would we have to trade to be able to afford him?

Stastny is my second option because he'll be cheaper than Tavares and I'd be okay with trading Perrault and Myers to make that happen. I like both of them but they seem like the most easily replaced pieces we have.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I voted Little because I just don't think they will be able to sign Stastny.

Ehlers - Schiefele - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheeler
MattyP - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Top two lines get 60% 5v5 ice time, bottom two lines get the other 40%.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Scheifele/Stastny put Winnipeg in the elite top 6 territory, in terms of lines.

I would be good with
Tanev-Lowry-Little as a shutdown line, thought they were very effective against Nashville. Little as winger/centre is quite useful.

Maybe Copp-Petan-Roslovic as a 4th. Or move Roslovic to centre, and get Ryan Reaves on the hometown discount. Throw Lemieux into the mix as well.

So that would make Perreault and Armia expendable through trade to redeem draft picks.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I think Rosie has potential to get there in another season. So Little for now, but if he's injured then Roslovic emerges

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For me it’s Roslovic without a doubt.

I'm somewhat befuddled by the faith that many show for Rosie. I mean, I hope he becomes a good 2C just as much as everyone else does - but what has he shown to date, to lead people to expect him to be better than Little? Even if we assume that last year's Little was better than any year he has left in him, why expect Roslovic to be better? Or even to be 'good enough' if Little was injured and unable to play at all?

He looked OK at 3RW last year. That is a long way from good at 2C.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'm somewhat befuddled by the faith that many show for Rosie. I mean, I hope he becomes a good 2C just as much as everyone else does - but what has he shown to date, to lead people to expect him to be better than Little? Even if we assume that last year's Little was better than any year he has left in him, why expect Roslovic to be better? Or even to be 'good enough' if Little was injured and unable to play at all?

He looked OK at 3RW last year. That is a long way from good at 2C.

He looked great last year. Roslovic had the 8th best U21 PPG(20+ Games) in the AHL in the past 10 seasons. of the best U21 We have to remember the kid had under twelve and a half minutes per game with a very high 2.4 P/60. He’s definitely got the skill to take over 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad