Who said it? And when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
(of Gary Bettman)
It's disappointing when one person takes the bull by the horns and decides we're not going to play.
[spoil]Wayne Gretzky, 1994[/spoil]

Ownership has worked hard to try and get an agreement. But no matter what kind of action the NHLPA may wish to take, the ownership is not going to sign an agreement that guarantees that we are going to have teams lose a substantial amount of money so that this business moves into a position where franchises start disappearing and jobs start being lost.
[spoil]John Zeigler, 1992[/spoil]

Whenever you have individual negotiations in this day and age in professional sports there are going to be skirmishes because the players want as much money as possible. And it's their right and prerogative to want as much money as possible and the owners have the right to negotiate as hard as they need to make economic sense of their teams.
[spoil]Gary Bettman, 1999[/spoil]

chiavsfan

And whats your point? Opinions change...obviously Gretzky's opinion changed from when he was playing to his ownership role. It's unfair for you to base Gretzky's opinion on something he said in 1994.

As for what Bettman said...what's wrong with that. Basically he says he can see both sides of the argument...he understands that players want to make as much money as possible...but since he represents the owners, he also sees the rights of the owners to make money.

This is a pointless thread

mooseOAK*

NHLPA '94: "No luxury tax!"

NHLPA '04: "Bring on that luxury tax!"

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
The most interesting quote IMO is the last one. It underlines a (imo, hilarious) fact, that the strictest, most hardline league supporters are to be found on this board, not in the NHL office. :)

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
shveik said:
The most interesting quote IMO is the last one. It underlines a (imo, hilarious) fact, that the strictest, most hardline league supporters are to be found on this board, not in the NHL office. :)
So it took ten years for PA to admit that Luxury tax may work. It will take another ten years for PA to admitt the HARD CAP at $38M

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
chiavsfan said:
And whats your point? Opinions change...obviously Gretzky's opinion changed from when he was playing to his ownership role. It's unfair for you to base Gretzky's opinion on something he said in 1994.
How is accurately quoting Gretzky unfair? I didn't say that was his current opinion. That's why I also asked when. But it very easily could've come from the mouth of a current player during this lockout.

Ziegler's statement could've come from the NHL's central offices today.

And Bettman's words were interesting because he was putting the onus for economic responsibilty on the teams. It's something you might hear from Goodenow.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Weary said:
How is accurately quoting Gretzky unfair? I didn't say that was his current opinion. That's why I also asked when. But it very easily could've come from the mouth of a current player during this lockout.

Yes it could, but it would be still be a statement of ignorance, just like it was in 1994.

Bettman and Goodenow are not dictators, dragging their constitutents into fights neither side wants. Both are doing the bidding of the people that hired them.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
hockeytown9321 said:
NHL 1994: "Bring on the luxury tax"

NHL 2004: "No Luxury tax"

Clearly different circumstances, caused by the lack of PA's foresight. No need to engage in details of proving how dumb your statement looks, everyone here is intelligent enough to see it for themselves.

mooseOAK*

hockeytown9321 said:
NHL 1994: "Bring on the luxury tax"

NHL 2004: "No Luxury tax"
The inconsistencies in the league's position were already pointed out, I was showing that it works both ways.

I will use subtitles next time.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
mooseOAK said:
The inconsistencies in the league's position were already pointed out, I was showing that it works both ways.

So was I. I didn't know there was a quota for how much we could point such things out in a thread, but now I do. Thanks.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
hockeytown9321 said:
So was I. I didn't know there was a quota for how much we could point such things out in a thread, but now I do. Thanks.

You also used the letter "o" a highly disproportionate number of times in your last post (ten times) and exceeded the 10% ratio for any single letter to be used in one post (you used "o" 11.23% or the time).

Please refrain from repeating this transgression. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad