Who`s the best off. defenseman prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
1-Joni Pitkanen.
2-Ryan Whitney is leading his team in scoring too.
3-Jay Bo
4-Kirill Koltsov
5-Anton Babchuk

CoolburnIsGone

I wouldn't exactly put Jay Bo or Pitkanen in the list. They seem more like all-around great d-men instead of primarily offensive d-men. I also thought Whitney was in this same mold of a good all-around d-man. Krajicek is easily in any top 5 considering he's been compared to Sandis Ozolinsh. Hainsey would also have to be in that list as well.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Jay Bo is better than Pitkanen. I don't see why Joni is having that much heat, he's good, but not better than Bouwmeester.

Best prospect? I'd say Mark Stuart. I saw him play at the world championship and he really impressed me.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Pardon me if I sound ignorant, but what exactly has Kirill Koltsov done to be considered ahead of for instance Carlo Colaiacovo, Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis. If we for instance compare Colaiacovo with Koltsov, both were drafted in the same year with Carlo being drafted higher, Colaiacovo had an impressive WJC were he was tied for the lead in scoring, made the Leafs for a few games out of training camp last year and has outscored Koltsov 20 points to 16 while playing 6 games less (PPG is 0.56 vs 0.38). Moreover Carlo doesn't have the motivational issues Koltsov appears to have. On top of this Colaiacovo has made the AHL All-Star team in his rookie year, which Koltsov has failed to do...

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Mike Green (Sask) should be mentioned because it's his draft year. No way he makes the top 5 right now but given another year or 2 might surprise. He play's a solid all around game for Saskatoon leads the the team in goal, assits, pts and PP goals. He's a good skater (waiting for the prospect's results to see how good but I think he'll be in the top half for every category) and is in the top ten scoring for Defensemen in the WHL despite playing for a very low scoring team (aprox. 96 GF).

Offensively I think he has a better upside than Barker(actually I just think he's a better prospect period).

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How do you figure he's doing better? He's 2 years older and has 2 less points. I see he's started the season in the AHL but he also gets the benefit of playing on the top powerplay line and leads all of the Oilers defensemen on powerplay time per game with 3:56 minutes per game. He has half of his goals and one third of his points from the powerplay. Hamhuis on the other hand has 10 even strength points, he has Zidlicky and Timonen in front of him on powerplay depth charts both who average over 6 minutes a game powerplay time, in fact Hamhuis gets less than half the powerplay time per game than Bergeron and his total powerplay time this season is 86:26 compared to Bergeron with a total of 118:00. Now if Bergeron was in the same boat as Hamhuis, do you think his numbers would still be as good? I don't, as there is no way Bergeron would get near the time on the powerplay as Zidlicky and Timonen would still be ahead of him on the powerplay.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
triggrman said:
How do you figure he's doing better? He's 2 years older and has 2 less points. I see he's started the season in the AHL but he also gets the benefit of playing on the top powerplay line and leads all of the Oilers defensemen on powerplay time per game with 3:56 minutes per game. He has half of his goals and one third of his points from the powerplay. Hamhuis on the other hand has 10 even strength points, he has Zidlicky and Timonen in front of him on powerplay depth charts both who average over 6 minutes a game powerplay time, in fact Hamhuis gets less than half the powerplay time per game than Bergeron and his total powerplay time this season is 86:26 compared to Bergeron with a total of 118:00. Now if Bergeron was in the same boat as Hamhuis, do you think his numbers would still be as good? I don't, as there is no way Bergeron would get near the time on the powerplay as Zidlicky and Timonen would still be ahead of him on the powerplay.
John-Michael Liles needs to get some love here though.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
triggrman said:
Bouwmeester has 2 goals this season.

Well, let's see. Bouwmeester is playing on the 7th worst offensive team in the league. Pitkanen has 2 more points playing on the 7th best offensive team.

I fail to see where there is a big difference.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
luongofan said:
Well, let's see. Bouwmeester is playing on the 7th worst offensive team in the league. Pitkanen has 2 more points playing on the 7th best offensive team.

I fail to see where there is a big difference.
Ok flip that, Bouwmeester has two more points than Hamhuis, despite being his teams top powerplay pointman. Hamhuis has more even strength goals and assist.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
actually, Van Ryn is the Panthers' top powerplay pointman, and when the whole team isnt scoring it's hard to rack up the assists.

anyway i see it as after the big two,
Hamhuis
Krajicek
Ryan Suter (this guy gets no respect, but he's awesome)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Caniacforever said:
I've heard a lot of people who are really in the know say that Richmond looks a lot like David Tanabe did a few years back before he hit the NHL and had some of his deficiencies exposed. He just won a gold medal at the WJC's. Has anybody gotten an extended look at him?

No extended look but from the little I have seen (combined with what I have read) this guy is not as good an athlete as Tanabe (top notch in that respect, he's just a natural) but Richmond is smarter (not difficult. Tanabe has to be one of the dumbest hockey talent in recent years).

Richmond looks like a very solid, unheralded pick for the Canes. I nonetheless don't think he belongs on a top 5 offensive D prospect list.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Marc-Andre Bergeron?

He could be Rafalski-like player if he works on his defensive end and becomes a bit more consistent. This guy is all offense.

leafaholix*

DutchLeafsfan said:
Pardon me if I sound ignorant, but what exactly has Kirill Koltsov done to be considered ahead of for instance Carlo Colaiacovo, Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis. If we for instance compare Colaiacovo with Koltsov, both were drafted in the same year with Carlo being drafted higher, Colaiacovo had an impressive WJC were he was tied for the lead in scoring, made the Leafs for a few games out of training camp last year and has outscored Koltsov 20 points to 16 while playing 6 games less (PPG is 0.56 vs 0.38). Moreover Carlo doesn't have the motivational issues Koltsov appears to have. On top of this Colaiacovo has made the AHL All-Star team in his rookie year, which Koltsov has failed to do...
Because Koltsov is a purely offensive defenseman, where the others are two way players.

leafaholix*

DutchLeafsfan said:
Still, Koltsov has yet to outscore Colaiacovo in any competition in which both play...
I know, but this is a thread asking who's the top OFFENSIVE defenseman.

And apparentely, Koltsov is the better of the two offensively.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Hamhuis, Liles, Pitkanen.....all stand out in my mind who are currently playing in the NHL.

Non-NHL: Ryan Suter and Mark Stuart reallllllllly impressed me at this year's WJC tourney. Suter is excellent at holding the puck in, makes great passes, and has great awareness on the ice. I think he is going to be a top notch d-man down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->