Who Plays in the NHL next year

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So, by all accounts this draft is regarded as one for the ages. Some kids project well, some kids are already playing with men.

In recent drafts guys that went directly to the NHL are (meaning guys that played their season in the NHL, not guys that had a coffee and went back to junior)
2019 Hyghes, Kakko, Dach
2018 Dahlen, Svechnikov, Kotkaneimi, Tkachuk
2017 Hirschier, Patrick
2016 Matthews, Laine, Tkachuk, Chychrun
2015 McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin

That's 16 guys in 5 drafts. 3 guys per draft. And this particular draft is noted for being deep. And then there is the trend of the league getting younger.

So who from this next draft makes the leap directly into the NHL?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Laf for sure. He is the only one I'd say really should be in the NHL next year.

A few others might be able to survive the season, but it wouldn't be the proper move development wise.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lafreniere, Stutle and maybe Rossi.

Anyone outside of those 3 in my mind are being rushed and it will be detrimental to their development
I'm agreeing with this list because byfield is left off of it. Could add Drysdale(but best if he works on his d/overall game before coming up imo).

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Could play in the NHL next year ( note that those playing in europe probably play the year there with the later start over here)
Lafreniere
--
Stutzle
Lundell
Rossi

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm agreeing with this list because byfield is left off of it. Could add Drysdale(but best if he works on his d/overall game before coming up imo).

Drysdale needs to get bigger for sure. Byfield is just so young and we saw how he "wilted" a little bit or looked like he couldn't handle the pressure a bit during the WJHC and top prospects game.

He needs to come to the NHL when his confidence is at an all time high. He needs time to develop more

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Could play in the NHL next year ( note that those playing in europe probably play the year there with the later start over here)
Lafreniere
--
Stutzle
Lundell
Rossi

Good call on Lundell. He could easily come in and play on at minimum the 4th line and not look out of place. Great defensive player

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Dorion was making a good point that a lot of the things that allow a young player to play after being drafted arent happening for this draft class. The conditions behind the trends are different.

What if next season starts in January? What if its only the nhl and not the ahl? Do i decide this question the same way still?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Laf, Rossi, Lundell. Stutzle will come over AHL half season and stay up rest of season. I could also see Holtz maybe.

Drysdale, Raymond, Byfield are gonna take another season and dominate their respective leagues and enter NHL the following season firing off more mature bodies and confidence.

Sanderson will take Makar path, 2 years NCAA and straight into the league.
Perfetti will take 2 years, IMO, a la Brayden Schenn.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
To all the people saying Byfield, I’m not sure that’s the best idea. He’s big and skilled and most likely a top 3 pick but he’s not even 18 yet. Gotta give him that extra year to dominate again and be the guy for Canada at the WJC (if it happens).

I think Lafreniere, Stutzle, Rossi, maybe Lundell and probably a surprise player or two should make the jump.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
To all the people saying Byfield, I’m not sure that’s the best idea. He’s big and skilled and most likely a top 3 pick but he’s not even 18 yet. Gotta give him that extra year to dominate again and be the guy for Canada at the WJC (if it happens).

I think Lafreniere, Stutzle, Rossi, maybe Lundell and probably a surprise player or two should make the jump.
Can wait to see Byfield at the wjc. Have to be really good because the board gonna be explode

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Lafreniere makes the NHL. I expect that most of the Europeans & Russians will stay in Europe/Russia for next season to mature physically. I also expect that most of the CHL players will likely return to junior, but you never know.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed that the concensus should be Laf, Rossi and Lundell in that order. Stutzle and Drysdale probably could but it wouldnt be the best for their development.

Byfield should be no where near the NHL this year. His age, size combined with the lost development time are all big factors.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
This year will be very special due to the late draft, the transfer agreement between the NHL and the European leagues has a deadline when a player needs to sign the NHL contract. If the contract is signed after this date (15th of August) the NHL team has no real say in where the player plays.

In theory this means that Lundell, Raymond, Holtz, Stützle etc. can't play in the NHL until the European leagues are finished next season. In practice Mannheim for example could agree to terminate the contract with Stützle, but it's not something that should be expected.

As for Rossi, he can play in the AHL, because he was loaned to the CHL, not signed (similar to Alex Nylander a few years ago).
It's rumored that Rossi will be going to Zurich next year, and if he has already signed a contract, the transfer agreement would stop him from playing in the NHL too.

In my opinion Lafreniere is the only one who should go.

I would say like this (from McKenzie's top 8):
Lafreniere - should and most likely will go
Stützle - If there is one European that terminates his contact and goes to the NHL I think it's him, If I was the GM I would prefer if he stayed one more year in DEL and played center (if that's where I want him to play later on).
Byfield - Should stay in Junior (or go to Europe) with that said, if he is drafted 2OA I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL.
Drysdale - Should stay in Junior
Perfetti - Should stay in Junior
Raymond - Should and will stay in Frölunda
Rossi - He probably could play in the NHL in a bottom 6 role, but I'd prefer if he went to Zurich.

Additionally, Holtz won't play in the NHL due to contract in the SHL, perhaps he could, but he really should stay in the SHL and dominate.
Similarly Lundell most likely won't play in the NHL due to contract, but perhaps he could play a bottom six role.

Due to the probable late start of the NHL I could see quite a few European moving over to play the later half of 20-21 season with their NHL team.

Reactions: thinkwild

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Laf, Stutzle, Byfield, Holtz, Lundell, Rossi

with the pandemic who knows when different leagues start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->