Who of the 2005 draft class could make the jump to the NHL right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Til the End of Time said:
Crosby would not increase season ticket sales by 20-30% unless Montreal or Toronto get him.

These two building are usually sold out, so an increase in ticket sales around 20 - 30% won't happen, but he certainly will help sell lots of team merchandise. :)

Mr.Brownov*

steblick said:
The second part of your post doesn't make sense. First, I didn't say he was NHL ready- although I think he is- I was referring to 2 years from now. And I didn't say he'd score 100 points- that would make him the Art Ross winner at age 17- so don't put words in my mouth.
Oh yeah,top 5 as a rookie?!Listen pal,don't try to teaching me anything about Crosby!You just have to look at the whole scenario.I wasn't posting about him being NHL ready at this very moment.Of course I was typing future.Everyone like yourself has so many predictions about this kid,and he hasn't even made it out of junior.He had a good year in the Q,no doubt,but he also hasn't seen pro yet.Ticket sales ,marketing,whatever!The refs gave him quite a bit of slack in that league just because of his value to the club and Quebec.Do you really expect the refs in pro to do the same for one player?I'm not busting this kid,but this talk of him being the next great one?I havent' seen any Ruutu's or Pronger's in the Quebec League.And believe me,it's going to take him more than a training camp from a NHL club,to get around those chaps,and have a breakout year as a rookie!

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Mr.Brownov said:
Everyone like yourself has so many predictions about this kid,and he hasn't even made it out of junior.He had a good year in the Q,no doubt,but he also hasn't seen pro yet.

Well that's precisely what a PREDICTION is!! We are guessing about his future based upon his achievements up to this point. That's what this board is for!! :shakehead

Just to compare- Bergeron- an unheralded prospect gets about 40 pts. as an 18 yr. old in the NHL. Rick Nash leads the league in scoring as a 19 yr. old. So is it really SO far out to predict that Crosby will be a top 10 scorer 2 years from now?
Not based on how he projects so far!
If you say something like "Oh, he'll be NHL ready at 19 and he'll get maybe 40 points then" you're making him equal to just about any top 5 pick of the past decade. But Crosby clealy has more potential than those players.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Mr.Brownov said:
Oh yeah,top 5 as a rookie?!Listen pal,don't try to teaching me anything about Crosby!You just have to look at the whole scenario.I wasn't posting about him being NHL ready at this very moment.
Who said "Top 5 as a rookie?". Putting words in my mouth again? Also, neither was I posting about him being in the NHL from the next season- it was YOU who assumed so. Trying to follow your logic is an exercise in frustration.

Mr.Brownov*

steblick said:
Who said "Top 5 as a rookie?". Putting words in my mouth again? Also, neither was I posting about him being in the NHL from the next season- it was YOU who assumed so. Trying to follow your logic is an exercise in frustration.
Good for you!You're smart enough to edit a post.If my "logic"frustrates you,then why bother replying pucktard?And i'm not putting words in yo mouth,they're under your fingertips.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Mr.Brownov said:
Oh sorry!Top 10.Tsssss

Well, so far you've misrepresented me on just about every point.

Anyway- just let me say this:
This is a forum for discussing prospects. Therefore we make predictions and projections.

This thread is about who from 2005 might be able to make the jump this year. Therefore it is a thread about predictions and projections.

I wrote my prediction and I believe I justified it. If you disagree- fine- but justify your opinion (see Vlad's response earlier).
DON'T say:
1. "It is pointless to discuss because we don't know".
We discuss it PRECISELY BECAUSE we don't know. That's the whole point!

2. "You can't predict Crosby's future because he's not even a pro yet".
Well, if we discuss it AFTER he becomes a pro then it's no longer prediction. It's after-the-fact. Anyway, predicting how juniors will translate as pros is precisely what scouts do.

3. "He might turn out to be like Daigle".
Of course- he might be a bust; we don't know. But the fact that a player MIGHT not be great is built into the whole idea of making a prediction. It doesn't need to be said (unless you have some great justification as to WHY you think this will be the case).

Sorry for the lecture :teach: but sometimes this stuff needs to be said.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Just some food for thought:

The last rookie to finish in the top 10 in NHL scoring was Teemu Selanne in 1992-93, a 22 year old star of the FEL who had to break all the rookie scoring records to finish in the top 5 in scoring. Prior to that, the last rookie to finish in the top 10 in scoring was Peter Stastny in 1980-81 who came over from Europe at 24. I'm not going to go any further back because then you have a ton of "rookies" in the top 10 in scoring who played for several years in the WHA and whatnot.

So, it's happened twice in the last quarter century, and both times was accomplished by players with several years of pro experience before they joined the NHL.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Just some food for thought:

The last rookie to finish in the top 10 in NHL scoring was Teemu Selanne in 1992-93, a 22 year old star of the FEL who had to break all the rookie scoring records to finish in the top 5 in scoring. Prior to that, the last rookie to finish in the top 10 in scoring was Peter Stastny in 1980-81 who came over from Europe at 24. I'm not going to go any further back because then you have a ton of "rookies" in the top 10 in scoring who played for several years in the WHA and whatnot.

So, it's happened twice in the last quarter century, and both times was accomplished by players with several years of pro experience before they joined the NHL.

Fair enough. I've made my case- I think Crosby WILL be that special. Let's check again in 2 years. BTW- I think Brule will be getting 50 pts in the NHL at age 18 too. And Kessel should get about that or even more right after he is drafted.

More fearless predictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->