Who might Dubas trade first, Marner or Nylander?

Not who do you want traded, but who would he, if he had to?

• Mitch

• Willie

Results are only viewable after voting.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Points and Tkachuks sure but everybody else is going to take a haircut or look elsewhere.
Marner/Matthews would have been the same as Point/Tkachuk.

The Leafs actually dodged a bullet.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is incorrect. Reportedly half the league is scaling back their budgets. Marner is owed $700k for this upcoming season, and is only owed $35 million total for the next 5 seasons. Cap hit is moot for a lot of teams, and they are looking for contracts where the cap hit exceeds the salary by a lot on good players.

There will be value should the Leafs try to move him.

I wonder when Eichel will hit 94 points?

You seriously do not think Marner > Eichel. Eichel's goals and points have increased every year he has been in the league (ppg this year) playing on a bad team. It will be interesting to see if Marner can get to 94 again now that teams pretty much cut off his passing lanes.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You seriously do not think Marner > Eichel. Eichel's goals and points have increased every year he has been in the league (ppg this year) playing on a bad team. It will be interesting to see if Marner can get to 94 again now that teams pretty much cut off his passing lanes.
No, I don't think that Marner is better. I think Eichel is better, but they are closer than people think.

People love to sh*t on Marner's contract (me too - lol), but he still paced for 93 points this past season coming off a high ankle sprain, which kills explosiveness and agility.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, I don't think that Marner is better. I think Eichel is better, but they are closer than people think.

People love to sh*t on Marner's contract (me too - lol), but he still paced for 93 points this past season coming off a high ankle sprain, which kills explosiveness and agility.

Used to be most Leaf fans would not do Marner for Eichel 1 for 1. That is changing very rapidly.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Used to be most Leaf fans would not do Marner for Eichel 1 for 1. That is changing very rapidly.
True words.

I don't think there was ever a time when I wouldn't have done it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Though this is more or less what happened, no?

The player wanted to be with the team longer term, likewise with the team. They squabbles over aav and reached a deal with both sides were fine with.

Folks may feel hes a few hundred thousand more than preferred, but clearly the team mostly wanted him to come under 7 mil. They just should have been able to do this a few weeks or even months earlier than they did

I think fans in general (and this isn't directed at you personally) get too caught up about "winning" these things (or trades for that matter) aren't necessarily black or white situations. Both sides can get value out of an outcome

no it didn't. it should have been settled before camp or a few games before camp ended. the end.
it wasn't about "winning" or anything, it's just setting a precedent. many many times people want to get stuff done and then it's "no wait until I want to do it" (aka i wanna see if some people wanna chase after me, etc, see if I can put up amazing numbers etc etc). it's the person's right to not have a contract going into free agency etc. - but the team shouldn't put up with drama and contract etc heading into a new season.

Sign by X date. if not. have fun. and we'll see you next year at 10 % less than what we've offered you because you've now missed an entire season of NHL play.

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Eichel rubs me the wrong way - I find him to be an arrogant prick but I'd take him over Mitch

I'm looking for great hockey players.

Not people to have over for fondue.

Marner is a great guy but he looked horrible this year. And 16 goals for him is embarrassing.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm looking for great hockey players.

Not people to have over for fondue.

Marner is a great guy but he looked horrible this year. And 16 goals for him is embarrassing.

I wonder what "not horrible" could look like then, if he was a PPG+ player this year.

Because I agree that he can be a lot better, especially with shooting, but you are also talking like the expectation is that he is not only going to continue to be "horrible", but also not improve like every other player his age does.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I wonder what "not horrible" could look like then, if he was a PPG+ player this year.

16 goals is terrible.

at 10.8 he needs to drive a line.

Regression.
upload_2020-9-28_17-30-40.png

They give away assists now.
It is a very unreliable stat.

The eye test on Marner this year looked horrible.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
16 goals is terrible.

at 10.8 he needs to drive a line.

16 goals is terrible for almost $11 million per...that's about 22 goals over a full season for Marner...Aho had 38 goals this shortened season, which prorates to 45 goals in a full season...that's almost like Tavares' career high 47 goals and Aho doesn't even need a Marner passing him the puck...imagine if Aho had someone like Tavares and Matthews to play with?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
i'm sorry, i have to ask.
how do we know Savard has no connection to the team or the player he's discussing? or any known sources. (like. most people don't go announcing who their sources are so...).
Former players, current players and even guys who don’t make it all have connections through the league. It’s beyond bizarre to think that they don’t.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
16 goals is terrible for almost $11 million per...that's about 22 goals over a full season for Marner...Aho had 38 goals this shortened season, which prorates to 45 goals in a full season...that's almost like Tavares' career high 47 goals and Aho doesn't even need a Marner passing him the puck...imagine if Aho had someone like Tavares and Matthews to play with?

The 36 year old dinosaur Pavelski has 13 goals in the playoffs playing with much lesser talent and against better quality teams.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The 36 year old dimosaur Pavelski has 13 goals in the playoffs playing with much lesser talent and against better quality teams.

But Marner is a hometown kid though...that's gotta be worth an extra 15 goals...:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad