Who might Dubas trade first, Marner or Nylander?

Not who do you want traded, but who would he, if he had to?

• Mitch

• Willie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
how on earth do you know who he is connected to?
None of us know the personal lives of random people on twitter, but that doesn't make them a valid source for insider knowledge. There is literally nothing that suggests Savard has insider knowledge on anything.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think you are missing the point.
but i honestly don't care who knew what, so it's fine.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
i'm sorry, i have to ask.
how do we know Savard has no connection to the team or the player he's discussing? or any known sources. (like. most people don't go announcing who their sources are so...).
We don't, however the poster you quoted is doing backflips trying to avoid admitting that.

Reactions: therealkoho

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dude....even sportsnet reported a 12.5mm offersheet rumor. There is a pretty high likelihood that he was offersheeted given Dubas never refuted it.
What Ferris said was that Marner didnt even want to look at them because he wanted to be a TML. I get it's an inconvenient truth but people need to stop with the bullshit and stop making shit up. There was and is a lot of teams that would salivate over the idea of getting a Marner caliber player.

The difficult thing with that situation is from rumors it becomes difficult to understand what was the desire of agent vs player. A couple media folks for instance suggested they were seeking s big money shorter term offer sheet. Yet was that just posturing by Ferris or did he have consent by the player and his family? Who knows.

These negotiations for him, Nylander,Matthews are ancient history either way. Folks should move on

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The difficult thing with that situation is from rumors it becomes difficult to understand what was the desire of agent vs player. A couple media folks for instance suggested they were seeking s big money shorter term offer sheet. Yet was that just posturing by Ferris or did he have consent by the player and his family? Who knows.

These negotiations for him, Nylander,Matthews are ancient history either way. Folks should move on

Yea, well I have moved on from them a long time ago. Players are greedy, don’t give a crap about the organization, and the fans. I only care about the team. If they win, great, if not then see ya. They will be replaced by a next batch of players.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
who would be giving up on Nylander? like deadlines happen all the time. it would be on Nylander not to take the deal or come up with a reasonable counter to the Leafs (and I doubt very much he was being "Lowballed"

honestly. it would behoove a lot more teams etc, to just be like this is when we're doing it. if you don't want a contract with us, then bye. good luck with your future endeavours.

Though this is more or less what happened, no?

The player wanted to be with the team longer term, likewise with the team. They squabbles over aav and reached a deal with both sides were fine with.

Folks may feel hes a few hundred thousand more than preferred, but clearly the team mostly wanted him to come under 7 mil. They just should have been able to do this a few weeks or even months earlier than they did

I think fans in general (and this isn't directed at you personally) get too caught up about "winning" these things (or trades for that matter) aren't necessarily black or white situations. Both sides can get value out of an outcome

Reactions: kb

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Yea, well I have moved on from them a long time ago. Players are greedy, don’t give a crap about the organization, and the fans. I only care about the team. If they win, great, if not then see ya. They will be replaced by a next batch of players.

LMOA ok... then go into work and tell the owner that you are willing to work for less than you are worth. People seem to forget its a job.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I personally don't see Dubas trading either as he has committed to them at their price points and believes he can win with them and build a competitive team around them.

This next season will put that belief to the test.

The results of the 2020-21 season will be the determining factor in their futures as Leafs going forward.

Agreed.

Regardless of what happens this free agency period (big fish or not) id expect both Marner and Nylander to be in a Leafs jersey opening night. Whether or not they finish the season in one will be up to them and the rest of the core.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Marner has a big impact in the dressing room that people don't consider which makes me think Nylander would be moved first.

I would prefer Marner moving next offseason if we fail again but realistically to me Nylander goes before Marner

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
LMOA ok... then go into work and tell the owner that you are willing to work for less than you are worth. People seem to forget its a job.

I never said that. My point that I was trying to convey was that I don’t get attached to these players. They are not heroes. They are just mercenaries. Winning, that’s all I care about.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I am cool with that. An overpayment does not mean you have an overpriced asset. It means you paid more for the asset than what was necessary. Its kind of like a car dealer paying full price for a car.
The very premise that the leafs have overpriced assets now is a faulty one.
Yes the leafs should have paid less. No, their relative caps are not inflated by millions against their market value.
When I read x player is overpaid vs was overpaid I see a remarkable unawareness of the nuance of these two statements.

In the context of Dubas negotiation skills, it is fair game. When talking about moving an asset for cheaper pieces, it is just dumb.
Cant help but jump into an argument when I see statements like 2-3mm overpaid.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I am sorry but you clearly do not understand the scope of what is going on. If you can't arrange the links to make a coherent chain, that's not on me. They are losing viewers, fans daily and they are losing all gate revenues and the people that typically pay for that. A large percent are going broke and losing their small business/jobs that pay for those season tickets. Once the Networks look at that, the media deals will be re-negotiated. The players will be taking wage cuts and some teams will no longer exist. This is a worldwide monetary system overhaul in progress, not just a pandemic.
We're not on the same page here. I'm not arguing at all that covid won't destroy revenue. I initially said we will have a flat cap for atleast 3 years.

All I was merely saying is that if covid hadn't happened the cap would be 84-88m and rising which is why we need to now change tact from keeping the core4 to moving Marner. I don't know what got you worked up earlier.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner is so overpaid people won't want him.

Marner makes more than Eichel.

sad

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marner is so overpaid people won't want him.

Marner makes more than Eichel.

sad
This is incorrect. Reportedly half the league is scaling back their budgets. Marner is owed $700k for this upcoming season, and is only owed $35 million total for the next 5 seasons. Cap hit is moot for a lot of teams, and they are looking for contracts where the cap hit exceeds the salary by a lot on good players.

There will be value should the Leafs try to move him.

I wonder when Eichel will hit 94 points?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
If it was me it be both. It would be at the draft, trade for draft picks and prospects. Also, Anderson. Not because there is anything is wrong with these players. They are all great. But I would make the pain quick, but productive. But if i had to keep one it would be Nylander, he can play C.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dubas signs horrible contracts. If you are Dubas getting shelled in contract talks you should just bridge
They would have been bridged straight into corona hell.

Can't wait to see how many teams are going to be shipping out good players to have the cap space to sign their bridged players because of the flat cap. Leafs don't have that worry.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015

Can't wait to see how many teams are going to be shipping out good players to have the cap space to sign their bridged players because of the flat cap. Leafs don't have that worry.
Lol a lot I would say.

Reactions: kb

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Kadri 19 goals.

Marner 16.

Saving 3 AAV on Marner is a lot. He had one good season because Tavares lit it up. Now they just guard Tavares

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The Points and Tkachuks sure but everybody else is going to take a haircut or look elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad