Who makes next proposal? Will there be one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
This sordid mess will end with one of two things occuring. Either an agreement is reached, or the Players reject the NHL's "Final Offer", and vice versa. These "final offers" have most definately not come yet. The season will NOT be cancelled without a vote being taken on the other sides plan.

Based on the news of the PA informing the membership of what has transpired, I think it is safe to say the current break in negotiations is similar to the last one, where each side will go back to its members, re-asses the situation, and return to discussions. Also, the fact that the PA seems a bit more reasoned in its dicussions with its membership this time is also a good sign, IMHO. At some point, I still expect the rollback to be dropped/reduced with a phased in linkage system.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I heard somewhere that the two sides are meeting again right now, does anyone know if this is true?

I am NOT trying to start any rumors, I just wanna know if they are in fact meeting again? What I heard was that they are meeting and if there is no resolution by the end of the day the season will officially be cancelled.

edit: I don't believe this is true, because it's coming from the same person who told me last week the season was on and there had been a deal. I think he's living in a fantasy world, but I wanna verify that there aren't any meetings today.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
I heard somewhere that the two sides are meeting again right now, does anyone know if this is true?

I am NOT trying to start any rumors, I just wanna know if they are in fact meeting again? What I heard was that they are meeting and if there is no resolution by the end of the day the season will officially be cancelled.

I would find this hard to believe, as I can't imagine the season being cancelled without one side firmly rejecting the other sides "final offer" in a vote. IF the owners anounce today that the season would be cancelled, I don't actually think they would mean it. BUT, making such a declaration, IF the PA is truly divided, WILL cause abolsute havok on the PA (or vice versa with the owners). Anyone not with their respective side, should the cancellation anouncement be made, will be out in full force, and a HUGE media circus will take place, with all sorts of bizzare developements.

Because of this, ANY season cancelation NEEDS to be acompanied by votes, as if 90% of the PA votes against the Owners "final offer", the 10% who would have accepted it would be MUCH more likely to shut-up than if the executive comitee simply rejects it out of hand. A clear vote sends a STRONG message to the other side, and I think such a message will need to be sent for the season to be cancelled.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I just answered my own question...they are not meeting and the person that this information was heard from was completely wrong. I just wanted to clarify this because I don't want that to be the source of any rumors being started. He read the article on tsn or sportsnet whichever had the article early afternoon yesterday that said the sides were meeting last night with tentative plans to meet today as well and added in the cancellation thing on his own...Sorry all!

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
There wont be any more proposals. The NHL wants a cap. The PA doesnt. Simple as that! Why does everyone think that the NHL/NHLPA's positions will change? They wont.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Twine Seeking Missle said:
There wont be any more proposals. The NHL wants a cap. The PA doesnt. Simple as that! Why does everyone think that the NHL/NHLPA's positions will change? They wont.
that's something hard to understand. The situation/position is the same as 2 or 4 months ago, nothing changed since? How about all these closed-doors talks?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Because there is a deal to be made out there within the next week or so. Both sides will posture and do stupid things until they really sit down and say that this has to happen. There's a lot of doom and gloom before something gets done. One has to believe that canceling a whole season does unrepairable damage to the game, espically in America where it is almost off the map.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site

Even IF both sides are still where they were at the start (and based on what has occured I don't think this is entirely the case), their would still be a proposal before the season is cancelled, which would be soundly rejected by a vote amongst the other side. I strongly believe that any leadership group that tries to cancel the season without a clear mandate from its membership (be it the BoG or the Players), is in for a world of hurt, as their side will invariably have a splinter group coming out of it.

Nope, if the season is going to be cancelled, it will look more like the december talks (with all the media press conferences and such), only with votes on each sides proposal by the other.

But, I truly believe that each side has a reasonable % of people who do NOT want the season cancelled. Cancelling the season without giving them some say WILL cause striffe, and therefor isn't in either sides best interest. For example, if 200 players come out the day after the season is cancelled saying the owners last proposal would work for them, it creates a HUGE problem for the PA. But, if the owners last proposal is voted down 500-200, the 200 are MUCH more likely to stay quiet, and respect the rest of the membership (some will speak out, but not as many).

So, in the next week-10 days, expect some sort of media circus, with either an agreement having been reached, or very public proposals which will be rejected by votes from each side. But the end will involve the media, and be very public, good or bad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Those 200 can speak out right now if they wanted to. Mike Commodore and Pierre Dagenais already have. Juraj Kolnik said he would report to camp as a replacement player (but there won't be replacement players regardless). If they want to speak up, the floor is theirs.

Crows*

I agree. The time is now for the players that want to play and would play under a cap to speak up loud and clear.

THis sport cannot take so much BS. I urge any players that may be reading these posts to speak up now. You have the power all fans wish they had in this dispute.

Brent Burns Beard