Player Discussion Who Made You Most Nervous Whenever He Touched the Puck?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Another vote for McDavid. Though I don't necessarily get nervous, as I love watching him play, even against the B's.

And for the other end of the spectrum I'll say Jimmy Hayes. In the unlikely event the puck did touch his stick, a 'hockey event' was sure to happen; just not a favorable one.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lemieux probably cost us two Cups in the early 90's. Scored 23 points in 9 games in the 91 and 92 Conference Finals.

We'd have wrecked the North Stars in 1991, and I think we'd have beaten the Black Hawks in 1992, as well.

Don Sweeney was around a minus 2 billion vs. Mario in one of those series.
Lol.

I don’t know if the numbers bear it out, but their PP at the time with Mario, Jagr, Murphy and anyone else they used....Stevens, Francis, Tocchett, Mullen(?), was the scariest I’ve ever seen.

They just toyed with people.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Certainly a lot of hate here for Mario Lemieux. I completely understand it all, but I have to admit that when I started this thread, he didn’t immediately come to mind.

Another vote for McDavid. Though I don't necessarily get nervous, as I love watching him play, even against the B's.

I saw McDavid and the Oilers at the Garden back in October of 2018, and he scored their only goal. I think he’s the fastest player I’ve ever seen, and he definitely looked like he was a breed apart from everyone else. The rest of his team was garbage, and the Bruins cruised. He’s the only player in the NHL right now that I’d take over David Pastranak.

I also have to say I’m very impressed with the Bruins answers. There was some pretty deep digging done to unearth some of those magnificent nuggets...

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I'd have to go with Mats Naslund (slippery bugger).

On our end, I always half jokingly said that if the B's didn't have Kaberle in 2011, they would have beaten the Canucks in 5.

Reactions: rfournier103

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Certainly a lot of hate here for Mario Lemieux. I completely understand it all, but I have to admit that when I started this thread, he didn’t immediately come to mind.

I saw McDavid and the Oilers at the Garden back in October of 2018, and he scored their only goal. I think he’s the fastest player I’ve ever seen, and he definitely looked like he was a breed apart from everyone else. The rest of his team was garbage, and the Bruins cruised. He’s the only player in the NHL right now that I’d take over David Pastranak.

I also have to say I’m very impressed with the Bruins answers. There was some pretty deep digging done to unearth some of those magnificent nuggets...

The thing about anyone other than Mario for me is that there’s no emotional toll from most other players.

I mean I was too young to really be emotional about the Habs teams in the 70’s...I only vaguely remember the too many men game.

Sure Gretzky beat them in the finals twice, but they only played Edmonton 2x a year back then I think.

Mario just dominated the Bruins for a solid 6 or so years 8x a year in the RS and then the playoffs....especially those series previously referenced here.

I’ll never change my mind that the top 3 players in history in order are

Orr
Lemieux
Gretzky

Obviously Gretzky had a better career but IMO at his peak, Mario was a better player.

Reactions: TCB and Number6

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Going to answer this before reading anyone else's posts.

Opposing player: Kovalev. He could just dominate out of nowhere, and sniped like no one else. He was pretty lazy, but on any play if he really wanted, he could create a scoring chance.

Bruin: This is harder to place. There are certainly bad defensive candidates like Wideman and Corvo who I could choose, but rather than blaming one person I think I'd say that in 2018 I was always scared shitless when that Riley Nash line was on the ice in the playoffs, like "please just survive and don't get scored on for 75 seconds then get a line change please"

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Stephane Richer for the Habs in the 1988 playoff series before he was injured (broke his thumb from a slash by Mats Thelin). He was so dominant that year and seemed like he was going to score every shift in that series.

For the Bruins, I hate to say it but it’s Chara the last 3-4 years when he doesn’t move the puck right away (which he is still decent at). When he holds the puck and allows forwards to get close, it seems like he makes a poor play or gets stripped almost every time now.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I feel like those moments with him have dramatically decreased since they’ve stopped asking him to take the toughest matchup every night.

Thank God the Bruins drafted well on D and didn’t force him to stay in that #1 role well into his early 40s.

I find with Chara it's not so much as a bad decision, but he does shoot over the glass too often, and also whiffs when trying to pass a fair amount

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I find with Chara it's not so much as a bad decision, but he does shoot over the glass too often, and also whiffs when trying to pass a fair amount

Ha yeah the over the glass thing.

I feel like between Carlo, McAvoy, and Chara, our defense must shoot it over the glass more than any other team.

I know a lot of fanbases may say that about their own D, but I feel pretty strongly we’re above average.

Anyone know of a place to find that stat?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
That was my childhood. Those Bruins teams were so good. But not 25-66-68 good. And then we stole 25 at the wrong time!
Tell me about it. That one year they had the Pens down in the series 2-0 if they could’ve closed them out they would’ve won the cup that year. I have no doubt in my mind. But the pens won both on their home ice . They won the one in Boston and that was it.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Chara kinda scares me sometimes now....
Just sometimes? He spends 90% of his time on ice with one hand on his stick, and it's scarier when he uses two!
But after 55 years of watching the Bruins it has to be Rask for me, as every time he touches the puck it's a great scoring chance for the opponents!

Reactions: BMC

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Any hab that touches the puck in our end. I just don’t like that team and I can’t stand when they score, ever. Hoping they never make the playoffs. Life is always better when they aren’t playing hockey in the spring.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As a Bruin fan, Subban seemed to always get me cringing when he would unload from the point when he was on the Habs.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
The thing about anyone other than Mario for me is that there’s no emotional toll from most other players.

I mean I was too young to really be emotional about the Habs teams in the 70’s...I only vaguely remember the too many men game.

Sure Gretzky beat them in the finals twice, but they only played Edmonton 2x a year back then I think.

Mario just dominated the Bruins for a solid 6 or so years 8x a year in the RS and then the playoffs....especially those series previously referenced here.

I’ll never change my mind that the top 3 players in history in order are

Orr
Lemieux
Gretzky

Obviously Gretzky had a better career but IMO at his peak, Mario was a better player.

I concur with your top three, having seen all 3 in their primes. Lemieux in his prime was unstoppable - I once heard Dick Irvin (filthy Hab announcer, but extremely knowledgeable) say the same thing about Lemieux, and that guy had seen everybody from Howe to Richard to Gretzky. As whiny as he became later in his career, Lemieux was incredible in his prime. Got to give the devil his due.

Reactions: sarge88

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Another vote for Subban on the PP, and Lafleur back in the day. Bad things always happened when they touched the puck.

And a vote for Joe Corvo for the Bruins. Just brutal.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Not sure about the numbers but I never wanted Kovalev near the puck when he was on Montreal.

on the Bruins, Kaspar Daugavins with an empty net.

Reactions: mikelvl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad