Player Discussion Who Made You Most Nervous Whenever He Touched the Puck?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m itching for a little more hockey talk, and I’d like to pick the brains of my fellow Bruins fans. So here are two very simple questions:

What opposing player made you the most nervous whenever he touched the puck?

And...

What Bruin made you most nervous (in a bad way) whenever he touched the puck?

My answer for opposing player is Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen anyone like him, and I was always anxious when he was on the ice against the Bruins. I was lucky enough to see him play in person at the Garden and I thought he was every bit as dangerous as advertised.

As for which Bruins player fits this bill... I don’t know who I would pick. I usually try to forget the really bad ones. Maybe someone can help refresh my memory.

Reactions: PepeBostones

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m itching for a little more hockey talk, and I’d like to pick the brains of my fellow Bruins fans. So here are two very simple questions:

What opposing player made you the most nervous whenever he touched the puck?

And...

What Bruin made you most nervous (in a bad way) whenever he touched the puck?

My answer for opposing player is Wayne Gretzky. I’ve never seen anyone like him, and I was always anxious when he was on the ice against the Bruins. I was lucky enough to see him play in person at the Garden and I thought he was every bit as dangerous as advertised.

As for which Bruins player fits this bill... I don’t know who I would pick. I usually try to forget the really bad ones. Maybe someone can help refresh my memory.

Guy Lafleur - dangerous and breathtaking

Jon Rohloff - Kevan Miller at his worst

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Very specifically Subban on the PP in Montreal would make me cringe when he touched the puck

On the bruins end Matt Irwin was awful for his brief stint, I’d cringe when I’d see him on the ice. Didn’t even need to have the puck

Didn't he only play 2 games?

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Didn't he only play 2 games?

yup and I believe he was a well earned -5

Probably the worst bruins player I’ve seen in my lifetime. Small sample though obviously. He’s not as bad now

I also think that year we missed the playoff by a game if I recall correctly. Womp womp

Reactions: sarge88

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Had a similar conversation with someone the other day.

1) Kovalev - Always seems dangerous, every shift. Glad the Habs really haven't had a player of his calibre in a while.

2) Neely - I know, what am I talking about? I always cringed when he had the puck at centre, attempting to carry it across the blue line. With the knee trouble, he didn't have the agility or speed anymore. Found myself screaming on more than a few occasions for him to dish it off to Oates. Now hashmarks in of course, Neely was lethal.

Reactions: BMC

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
On the opponent side, I'll go with Lemeiux, easily the best player I ever saw go against the Bruins. (Old enough for Gretsky, but never saw in person and they played so infrequently )

I'll go with one a bit more controversial on the Bruins side, just because his window was recent, and face it critical

Tomas Kaberle. I was terrified whenever he had the puck deep in the Bruins zone during the 2011 playoffs

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
On the opponent side, I'll go with Lemeiux, easily the best player I ever saw go against the Bruins. (Old enough for Gretsky, but never saw in person and they played so infrequently)
Lemieux probably cost us two Cups in the early 90's. Scored 23 points in 9 games in the 91 and 92 Conference Finals.

We'd have wrecked the North Stars in 1991, and I think we'd have beaten the Black Hawks in 1992, as well.

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
Tomas Kaberle! Watching the reruns of the 2011 playoffs reminded me how much of a fire drill it was anytime the puck found him in the defensive zone! Sheesh

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I just missed out on the 70s so I can't go there but I can imagine and Hab from that era being on the list. I was too young to appreciate or be nervous of individual talents in the 80. After '92, the 90s sucked in general, so I've mostly blacked it out. That leaves the 2000s, which brings me to my pick. Alex Kovalev. I don't know what his numbers are as a Hab vs the Bruins but it seemed like he always lit them up. Murray "slash" not withstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoffatMan and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Opposition: Tomas Vanek, Claude Giroux and Jason Pominville. Bruin killers all.

Bruins: Tuukka Rask. I hate it when he tries to play the puck, 9 times out of 10 it backfires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->