Who is your darkhorse to sneak into the top 10

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Big Z and Puempel for me.

Me too!!! Here is my 2 cents on unlikely top 10's who could surprise.

1. Zibanejad, Mika - C/RW - 6’2 192 R - Djurgårdens SWE Elite - 26-5-4-9-2
This guy just keeps getting better and better. A strong U18 could see him even push the top 8. I am probably a little ahead of the pack at this stage at 9.
2. Puempel, Matthew - LW - 6’0 198 L - Peterborough OHL - 55-34-35-69-49-(-33)
A real darkhorse for top 10, not because of his skills but because of a season ending serious injury. For me, maybe the best pure goal scorer of the draft, always a reason to think high. I have him at 12.
3. Armia, Joel - RW - 6’4 192 R - Ässät FIN Elite - 48-18-11-29-24
Probably needs a big U18 to make it but 6’4 guys who can score can always demand a premium and this guy is already playing against men. I have him at 13.
4. Oleksiak, Jamieson - D - 6’7 242 L - Northeastern HE - 36-4-9-13-55-(+14)
This year’s probable winner of the Dylan McGrath award for being the player drafted most above his perceived abilities. It is the dreams of “Zdeno Chara†that could do it. I have him at 20.
5. Jaskin, Dmitri - LW/RW - 6’1 196 R - HC Slavia Praha CZE E - 33-3-7-10-16
A most unlikely choice but “girls†this guy is a stud. He is listed @ 6’1 196 but looks like 6’3 210-220 and is very good down low. The lack of elite skating is likely to hold him back. I currently have him at 21 but many have him in the 2nd because of the skating issue.

I haven’t listed Tyler Biggs and Duncan Siemens because many have them in their top 10 already.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
I'm just gonna say Peumple. I thought Zibanejad was predicted to go in the top10-12, so not really a darkhorse imo.

Don't think so. So far I haven't seen any rating that gives reason to expect him as per now to be in that top 10-11 group. He seems to be in the next group roughly 12-25, where he does look like one of the more likely players to go high. About 15th, give or take a few spots, seems likely to me.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Mark McNeill for sure, this kid is everything you want in a centre.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
1. Armia - goal scorer with good size
2. Puempel - best goal scorer, despite poor TPG performance + playing on a garbage peterborough team, a pure goal scorer doesn't fall for very long, this years Brett Connolly
3. Rattie - has flown under the radar due to his WHL squad, put up amazing numbers pre Ryan Jo + El Niño return, great playmaker + goal scorer, lacks size
4. Saad - has been quiet lately + not putting up big numbers in the playoffs, had a hot streak during the season that could propel him late into the top 10
5. Grimaldi - highest risk highest reward, team with multiple 1st round picks including a top 10 may roll the dice with him

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think Oleksiak could jump up. His size might be too much for other teams to pass up

arsmaster*

Puempel for me too.

Kids who have his knack for scoring goals are hard to come by.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Zibanejad is hardly a sleeper at this point and Puempel was a top 10 guy coming into the year so these guys are hardly sleepers.

I'd say Alexander Khokhlachev. I find him to be quite underrated.

Jaskin seems like a good pick here as well but I haven't actually seen the guy play so its hard to know how much of the hype is justified. When I read scouting reports of the guy he sounds like an early 1st rounder. Big man, soft hand and actually plays big? Sign me up.

Quezzle E

Mar 2, 2011
Khochlachev!! or however his name is spelt, others i dont consider dark horses cause around 8-15 is very undecided. In that range I have, in no order:

Bartschi
Armia
Zibenijad
Beulieu
Oleksiak
Siemens
Biggs
Saad
McNiel

edit: or i just second this guy^^ lol

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Mayfield is falling according to some people out there...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
as in out of the 1st?

Potentially. I was just reading yesterday about how there is concern that playing for such a ****** USHL team this year really hurt his growth this season and might have set him back quite a bit. Scouts never saw the growth that they had hoped as the year went on.

I think he was a bit of a project to begin with, but that development didn't really go anywhere this year by the sounds of things.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Alexander Khokhlachev, C, 5’11, 188, Windsor- I love this kid and have no idea why he is ranked so low. I would take him top 10

Mark McNeill, C, 6’2, 205, Prince Albert- reminds some of Ryan Getzlaf, 10 wouldn't be a stretch if someone wanted a big centre

Mark Scheifele, C, 6’3, 175, Barrie- size and loads of skill. reminds me a lot of Ryan Johansson who went 4th. 6"3 with hands like that are tough to find

Daniel Catenacci, C, 5’9, 180, Sault St. Marie- a very safe pick and maybe more NHL ready then a lot of players. A very complete player I have close to 10 in my rankings

Tomas Jurco, RW, 6’2, 193, Saint John- size and maybe the most pure skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->