Who is your choice for GM?

Who is your choice for GM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am going to go with Keith Gretzky simply because he seems to be the only guy in the Oiler management ranks who earned some praise by actually doing something and demonstrating some competence.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Here's a look at Hextall's moves with Philly.

History of hockey trades by general manager Ron Hextall - NHL Trade Tracker

Hartnell for Umberger + 4th rounder. Not long after Hartnell wasn't able to skate well enough to keep up with the rest of the league. Timing on this trade was perfect. Must have been a hard trade to make because Hartnell was clearly a fan favourite.

Tye McGinn for a 3rd rounder. Great return for a guy who barely played 60 more games in the NHL after getting traded.

Timonen for 2nd + conditional 4th. Not a bad trade for a D-man who was long in the tooth.

Braydon Coburn for 1st rounder + 3rd rounder + Gudas. Again another good trade. Got a 1st rounder, a mid rounder and a warm body that's always up for punching faces and cleared some cap space while they were at it.

Chris Pronger and Nicklass Grossman for Sam Gagner + 3rd or 4th round pick. Took a chance on Gagner and got a mid rounder and all he had to do was give up a star who would never play in the NHL again and a d-man who washed out out of the league soon after the trade.

Lecavier + Luke Schenn for Jordan Weal and 3rd rounder. Cleared 2 contracts that turned out to be toxic and L.A probably regrets taking them on and he got a 4th line scrub and a 3rd rounder in return. At this point I'm thinking Hextall's cap management skills are up there with Sather's in the 90's when he was still with us.

Philly's 1st + 3rd for Jet's 1st + 2nd. Jets moved up to draft someone who is 20 and hasn't had a chance to prove his worth yet and Philly later on drafted someone in the same situation. They're both in the AHL and they don't look like bums statistically but I don't know anything about them.

Mark Streit for Filppula + 4th. Streit never played useful hockey again. Was traded to Tampa but he never played a game for them. Was then pawned off to the Penguins and the following season he played 2 games with the Habs. Philly picks up a mid rounder while paying Filppula 5M per year for 2 years to put up points on pace with a decent 3rd line forward. This is looking like his worst move so far, but it didn't put the team back years like what we're used to here in Edmonton.

Brayden Schenn for Jori Legtera a 1st and another conditional 1st. Philly got frustrated with Schenn's offensive production and paid for it as Schenn's numbers improved the instant he landed in St. Louis. 1st rounders are nice. Legtera belongs in the AHL.

There are a few more, but they're even more minor moves. Overall, I like how he does business. I don't want to get people's hopes up thinking that he'd find a way to get someone to eat Lucic's contract but given his short track record if anyone could do it he just might be the guy.

Hartnell, Pronger, Lecavier and Luke Schenn were flat out toxic contracts when he traded them and Philly came out of those trades smelling like a rose.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We just had a crazy person who wasn’t afraid to blow **** up. He didn’t know when to stop and set us back.

We need a smart GM who can recognize that if you add 4 wingers, a right handed PP QB, and a reliable backup, this team can be a playoff team.

My pick is Hunter, but if Gretzky keeps doing what he’s doing, I’m not opposed to him either

What did he do?

He traded an UFA goalie for a RFA goalie. He then traded an AHL player for an AHL player that the fan base thinks fondly of...

Now you are ready to give him the keys?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Talbot for Stolarz is a wash, both will be free agents in the offseason but gives us a little wiggle room in cap space. Gagner makes less than Spooner, so just on that alone it's a win.

...wiggle room in cap space this year. Gagner is 50k more in cap space.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know the GM picks his own guys, but I wouldn’t mind if the new guy considering hanging on to KG and keeping him as head of scouting.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I'm terrified of Keith Gretzky getting the job. If there was ever a time for a complete franchise overhaul it's now. Get anyone that had anything to do with past failures out and build a new organization. This shouldve been done after Lowe stepped down as Gm, or at least when Tambo was fired.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gretzky had extremely average/below average scouting in Arizona, was disastrous in Boston (save for Pasta). I mean this is a guy that oversaw perhaps the worst 1st round draft of all time in 2015. The followed it up by picking Trent Fedric and justifying the pick by saying he was a limited player and a future 3rd liner

He had a few good drafts in Edmonton, although thus far, the only success theyve had is in junior and the AHL, and weve seen this same story numerous times and been dissappointed. Really his drafts havent been all the great like some people make them out to be, he just picked the player where they were ranked in the predraft ranking. His drafting only looks good by comparison to our past drafts where we picked literal face punchers in the 2nd and 3rd round. His drafting is what numerous other teams do year in and year out

If he was truly a great eye for scouting, he would have picked Hart or Debrincat for example. I wont pile on him as I like Benson, but hes on HF level for scouting. He is not unique at it

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What did he do?

He traded an UFA goalie for a RFA goalie. He then traded an AHL player for an AHL player that the fan base thinks fondly of...

Now you are ready to give him the keys?

Did I say that? I said if he can keep making those types of moves I’m not opposed to him. As in, if he can get even close to the value we paid for Petrovic, move Manning without taking back an equally bad contract, etc. Then he still wouldn’t be my first choice, but I wouldn’t hate it.

And you’re trying way too hard to discredit those moves. Spooner for Gagner is a player who couldn’t make our lineup for a player who immediately looked like our 4th best forward. He had 34 points in 81 games for the Canucks when he was struggling, and he’s supposedly an “AHL player”? We only had 1 winger on pace for more than 25 points. I don’t even care if you want to call him an AHL player. He makes us better. That’s a big win.

Talbot for Stolarz is a move where people claimed we’d have to pay to move him (I always disagreed, but hey), and instead he got a guy who, before his injuries, was considered one of the top goalie prospects. And if he sucks, no harm done. Meanwhile, we clear the cap to activate Sekera.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Stevie Y is my vote . You do what you have to to make it work . Let him work from Detroit if need be . He does not need to be at a game to see the issues with the team . Hell even during practises you could have bluetooth web cams set up so he can log in and watch the practises close up .

Point being the age we are living in Stevie would not have to be in Edmonton to know whats going on .

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really just want them to go through the process and grab one of the guys that has an opinion that the majority of the candidates is telling Nicholson and Katz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->