Who is your choice for GM?

Who is your choice for GM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Only way Gretzky gets the gig is if he can dump Lucic for any positive value. If he can do that, he has my vote.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
They need a crazy person like Hextall to blow **** up, but I don't see that ever happening.

We just had a crazy person who wasn’t afraid to blow **** up. He didn’t know when to stop and set us back.

We need a smart GM who can recognize that if you add 4 wingers, a right handed PP QB, and a reliable backup, this team can be a playoff team.

My pick is Hunter, but if Gretzky keeps doing what he’s doing, I’m not opposed to him either

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
We just had a crazy person who wasn’t afraid to blow **** up. He didn’t know when to stop and set us back.

We need a smart GM who can recognize that if you add 4 wingers, a right handed PP QB, and a reliable backup, this team can be a playoff team.

My pick is Hunter, but if Gretzky keeps doing what he’s doing, I’m not opposed to him either

By blowing shit up, I meant tell Howson, MacT, Duane Sutter, Bob Green, etc. to get lost.

Also, I don't think Chiarelli is crazy, I just think he was a very below average GM.

Hextall made some great moves in Philly and drafted really well. He was also a big part of the management team in LA when they won their 2 cups. He's actually kinda crazy when you read about his moles and the way he treated the media, but I personally think it's exactly what this city needs. Not another Katz lackey or an old Team Canada dinosaur.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Keith Gretzky, but I just hope to God that he is able to build his own staff.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
GM by committee???

Don't think we tried that yet. FFS

It's a dangerous hire. The roster is so broken. Full autonomy to the new GM is a pipe dream. Katz is terrified its going to get more f***ed hence he will keep the OBC's fingers in it.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

What exactly has Gretzky done that's impressive?

Cap dump goalie trade for a fading prospect who was/ is likely going to be a ufa and traded a nothing player for an older nothing player who also happens to be a former Oiler.

Pretty sad if people are so used to incompetence that moves like these make them feel confident in Keith Gretzky.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

Cap dump goalie trade for a fading prospect who was/ is likely going to be a ufa and traded a nothing player for an older nothing player who also happens to be a former Oiler.

Pretty sad if people are so used to incompetence that moves like these make them feel confident in Keith Gretzky.

Talbot for Stolarz is a wash, both will be free agents in the offseason but gives us a little wiggle room in cap space. Gagner makes less than Spooner, so just on that alone it's a win.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He cleared capspace, and got a useful player for a useless player. I’m not confident in him yet, but as I said, if he keeps making those moves, I’m ok with him. That’s a step up from what Chia did the last year and a half. If he can move out Manning without taking back a worse contract, that’s huge for our team next year

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Talbot for Stolarz is a wash, both will be free agents in the offseason but gives us a little wiggle room in cap space. Gagner makes less than Spooner, so just on that alone it's a win.

Gagner has a cap hit 50k more than Spooner because the Rangers retained 900k in the Strome deal.

Reactions: RandomGuy79

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
He cleared capspace, and got a useful player for a useless player. I’m not confident in him yet, but as I said, if he keeps making those moves, I’m ok with him. That’s a step up from what Chia did the last year and a half. If he can move out Manning without taking back a worse contract, that’s huge for our team next year

True but that doesn't say anything. Keith hasn't done anything impressive with either of these moves. He's made 2 small moves where he hasn't been actively detrimental to the team better than Chia yeah but nothing that should make him a candidate for the full time gig.

If being better than Pete is the standard the standard needs to be raised significantly.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Assemble Kevin Lowe

Failing that, I am fine with either Hunter or McCrimmon. The Chia bar is so low, there is no way the next guy isn't going to be better. The club is actually developing players since McGregor moved out, so the real need is for a good understanding of cap management, and what constitutes a reasonable trade. Its going to be better, but with the right guy it could be better faster.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
My vote would be Craig Heisinger just because he's been apart of that management group that has assembled a oontending roster through the draft. I don't think we will ever be a contender until we manage to draft like the Anaheim's, Winnipeg's, Tampa's of the league.

I think McCrimmon will get the job though.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I picked Craig Heisenger. I first read it as Heisenberg (Breaking Bad). Now, that's guy took care of business.

It'll probably be Ron Hextall.
McDavid-Manning, Kassian-Gagner, W.Gretzky-Hextall. See where this is going... You can't dream this s*** up.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My choice is a GM who has the balls to tell Nicholson that he won't take the job unless he has full autonomy to bring in his own people and if he's forcefed MacT, Howson and their merry band of failures then Nicholson can pound sand.

It already seems like the brainwashed Oiler mouthpieces are pushing for Keith Gretzky so that could very well be it for the forensic audit. I'm honestly not sure why he gets so much praise, most of the prospects in Bakersfield were from a previous regime and these two trades he made, while fine, don't move the needle much at all as next seasons' cap situation has remained unchanged.
Unless he's able to move mountains, namely Mt. Lucic, there's no way I'd be ok with him being the next GM. Just more of the same.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
My choice is a GM who has the balls to tell Nicholson that he won't take the job unless he has full autonomy to bring in his own people and if he's forcefed MacT, Howson and their merry band of failures then Nicholson can pound sand.

It already seems like the brainwashed Oiler mouthpieces are pushing for Keith Gretzky so that could very well be it for the forensic audit. I'm honestly not sure why he gets so much praise, most of the prospects in Bakersfield were from a previous regime and these two trades he made, while fine, don't move the needle much at all as next seasons' cap situation has remained unchanged.
Unless he's able to move mountains, namely Mt. Lucic, there's no way I'd be ok with him being the next GM. Just more of the same.

Because it allows the OBC to remain in control.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
mAP63Qc.jpg

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Please not Keith Gretzky.
He makes a couple a meh trades and the media is ready to anoint him as the next coming. We've become accustomed to Chia getting fleeced on ever single deal that when someone comes in and doesn't get fleeced, it starts looking real good because the bar has been set so low. At best, Keith is probably another poor to mediocre GM. Can we not do better and actually get a top GM?
Plus, who actually believes that Keith would break up the so called problems in upper management that have plagued this team for over a decade? No, he's more of a problem than a solution.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Why isn't Yzerman in this poll? I know he is along shot but the question was who do you want as the next GM?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
K.Gretzky was probably their plan b the day they hired chia.
I don’t think he was their plan B that day (I don’t believe any of them think that far ahead) but I do think there were pleased when Chiarelli hired him. He’s a family member of an OBC member, someone who has a bit of a management resume and best of all, they weren’t the ones that brought him into the organization. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard that brought up, especially by Nicholson.

Reactions: B33K33PING

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A lot of us called Keith Gretzky months before Chiarelli was fired. It makes the most sense for this organization. He’s Wayne’s brother and that means the old voices will always be in his ear. He also knows how things work here and knows how to work in that system. The most telling thing to me was Nicholson insisting, in his Chiarelli firing presser, that the next guy would have to be someone who fit in with the culture of the Oilers organization. They have no interest in bringing in anybody who is going to demand the front office be cleaned out, obviously that wouldn’t fit in with the culture of the Oilers organization.

Nicholson being clear that he was going to take his time and that he was in no hurray to name the replacement is a way to buy time for fans to warm up to the idea. That the media is now starting to push for him makes it even more obvious. Bodog was offering 9-1 on this last month. That’s a lot of free money for those betting with their heads instead of their hearts.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I like the idea of Hextall. A patient guy who makes smart calculated moves, he sounds like the opposite of Chiarelli.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The first, second and 4th guys on my list would make me happy.
As long as it's not someone who has already destroyed a previous NHL franchise or is a member of the OBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->