Who is/was better defensively?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
How many names can you put in that spot that would actually beat Carbonneau? Might be able to count them on one hand...with all due respect to Captain Serious, Jonathan Toews is not one of those names.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
because the question was defensively i would say Carbonneau without a doubt. he was allways pure defense first kinda guy where as Toews is more of a two way jonathan.

Carbonneau played in highest scoring era and not once did he crack 60 points, but won 3 selkes. that tells a lot about him.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ ya, echoing Mike Farkas & Rhiessan, Carbo 4sure, and all due respect to Toews etcetera etcetera...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It will be hard for Toews to ever hit that level. He has more offensive talent than Carboneau did and that matters a great deal because Carboneau was able to focus pretty much solely on defense, while Toews can't. Carboneau is the winner here.

On an all-time list who trumps him defensively? Gainey, Clarke, Keon, Ramsey perhaps? Just throwing some names out there.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
How many names can you put in that spot that would actually beat Carbonneau? Might be able to count them on one hand...with all due respect to Captain Serious, Jonathan Toews is not one of those names.

He probably isn't but it's always a bit unfair to compare one guys complete career with another guy still in his prime.

Either way no one is taking Guy over John at the same points in their careers.

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
the answer to the op's question is clear. But how close was Lehtinen to Guy? Jere probably learned a thing or two from Guy.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
the answer to the op's question is clear. But how close was Lehtinen to Guy? Jere probably learned a thing or two from Guy.

I would say quite close. Lehtinen was elite.

I realize that had the question been "Better two-way" then we'd get some different results and it would depend solely on how people view defense vs offense. But the discussion I had with my bro in-law was based strictly on their defense, so that's why I made the poll as such.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00