Who is this years whipping boy?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm one of JEE's biggest supporters, but his demeanor is troublesome. Whenever they show him on the bench, he's sitting apart from his teammates looking uncomfortable. Lack of confidence can not only lead to poor play on the ice, but also a mindset where you don't believe you're good enough, an idea that the other players blame you or expect you to do more, the thought you don't belong, etc etc. This is just speculation on my part, but he appears so uncomfortable, to me. I wonder how many friends he has on the team, and how his off ice life is going.

The only time I notice that is when they show the bench and the Wild are on the PP. I haven't really noticed this team (the ones that have been here for all the Playoff runs) being very talkative when on the bench.

Maybe the struggling Wild FWDs just need to all take an Uber ride together. :laugh:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Perhaps he's lost because he was suddenly put at first line center? He made a couple errors sure, but they keep bouncing him around. His shot was actually a dangerous chance. We'll see more if he gets decent linemates and more familiarity. Guys with zero shots: Coyle, Granlund, Koivu, Brodin...
I wish Eriksson Ek was even half the player that you think he is.

Reactions: a79krgm

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
JEE is too young for me to call him a whipping boy, though his game, or lack of it, is frustrating. Completely agree with the Coyle, Nino, and (reluctantly), Zucker. The latter can be such a good finisher when he's on... certainly not on his game now.

Is this team ever screwed if we don't re-sign Staal, and Koivu rides off into the sunset. Sticking Granlund back at C might be a disaster, Coyle seems to be regressing, and Ek looks lost.
Honestly, in that game that Granlund played C I thought he looked really good. I've long though that now that he's gained his offensive confidence he could probably transition back to center pretty seemlessly.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yes, this was one game. The narrative was that he was "replacing" Staal. In fact, only Brown played fewer minutes than JEE. Not sure how that's supposed to help him score. He's still only marginally less effective than Koivu.

Koivu could literally never enter the offensive zone and he'd probably still provide twice the value of JEE. And I mean literally in the truest sense of the word.

Reactions: 2Pair and TaLoN

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I think Nino has looked atrocious. He is 100% the player I am going with for "whipping boy"
Although, I'm very concerned with JEE's development … I would have to agree that Nino is the guy I'm most disappointed with. I expect more after that nice contract he signed last year. There's all kinds of things wrong with this game these days. I don't know where to start.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly, in that game that Granlund played C I thought he looked really good. I've long though that now that he's gained his offensive confidence he could probably transition back to center pretty seemlessly.
You could be right, but I think it's near insanity to mess with him now. The correlation between him playing wing and his increased production is too obvious to ignore.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I haven't figured out who we're going to have as our whipping boy this year. Preliminary indications from this summers discussions and preseason game threads point to the following:

Defense: Brodin
Forwards: Coyle, JEE, Foligno

I believe it's more likely it will be Zucker, because it seems like we hate players who get payed and then don't exceed our expectations, or Pateryn, who will make a bad pass leading to a goal and we'll never get over it.

Who do you think will be endlessly disparaged this year, joining the illustrious rank of previous whipping boys; PMB, Brodziak, Koivu, Suter et alia?

I wanted to update the whipping boy situation. My original post listed what I thought were the most likely candidates (determined from preseason discussions) and who I speculated it would be. From these players, Brodin has played well and removed himself from the discussion. JEE has been sent down and although there is residual JEE angst, he has also been removed from the discussion. Coyle has been one of, if not the top player on the team recently, and Foligno has met expectations for the most part.
This leaves....................Zucker. Yes, at this point JZ is the whipping boy! Due to his recent downturn in production (coinciding with the whole teams lack of scoring), he seems to be the main target of this board's vitriol. He seems to be known now as a "one trick pony", that trick being speed, which confusingly, many seem to think is one of this teams biggest needs. According to some, because he's soon to turn 27, his legs will be gone and he'll lose that attribute and become completely ineffective. He is no longer the fast, dynamic player of the past. He's now getting the Brodziak treatment for failing to score on breakaways. He is frequently being discussed as the person whom we should be trading for prospects, like Jesse Puljujarvi, he of the 33 points in 122 games.
Jason Zucker, your most recent whipping boy:clap::deadhorse

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I wanted to update the whipping boy situation. My original post listed what I thought were the most likely candidates (determined from preseason discussions) and who I speculated it would be. From these players, Brodin has played well and removed himself from the discussion. JEE has been sent down and although there is residual JEE angst, he has also been removed from the discussion. Coyle has been one of, if not the top player on the team recently, and Foligno has met expectations for the most part.
This leaves....................Zucker. Yes, at this point JZ is the whipping boy! Due to his recent downturn in production (coinciding with the whole teams lack of scoring), he seems to be the main target of this board's vitriol. He seems to be known now as a "one trick pony", that trick being speed, which confusingly, many seem to think is one of this teams biggest needs. According to some, because he's soon to turn 27, his legs will be gone and he'll lose that attribute and become completely ineffective. He is no longer the fast, dynamic player of the past. He's now getting the Brodziak treatment for failing to score on breakaways. He is frequently being discussed as the person whom we should be trading for prospects, like Jesse Puljujarvi, he of the 33 points in 122 games.
Jason Zucker, your most recent whipping boy:clap::deadhorse
I know it's satire but the truth lies somewhere in the middle haha. The guy was rewarded with a contract and he is failing to keep his exchange with that contract. But, the whole team is not playing well. Can't just single out...btw isn't Nino the new whipping boy?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know it's satire but the truth lies somewhere in the middle haha. The guy was rewarded with a contract and he is failing to keep his exchange with that contract. But, the whole team is not playing well. Can't just single out...btw isn't Nino the new whipping boy?
The whole Zucker-Staal-Granlund line has been the team's biggest problem recently, so the degree to which Zucker's been singled out is a little extreme.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think our point per game winger has been a big issue recently. That line needs to be split up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The whole Zucker-Staal-Granlund line has been the team's biggest problem recently, so the degree to which Zucker's been singled out is a little extreme.
One of those is on pace for 78pts, another is on pace for 53, and the other is on pace for 43pts.

One has had people join in with those who already wanted to trade him BEFORE the season started - Zucker, another has become a hot tdl sell - Staal, the other most people are still ok with, but wish his current production would pick back up a bit Granlund.

I don't think Staal has been immune to criticism, but he's still only paid around $3m... the value vs production is still in his favor, and he plays an important position that we don't have a lot of depth for.

Zucker is not meeting his contract level, in fact he's on pace well below his production from even a few years ago... yet for the first time he's getting tons of pp time on top of it, and it's hurting the team more since he's such a negative impact on said power play.

Zucker has literally everything going against him in this, which is why he's seemingly taking more blame. Staal is still taking quite a bit of blame himself though too... and though Granlund the past couple weeks isn't as good as most of the rest of the season, he's still nearly a point per game player while playing with the two struggling linemates, people are having a hard time placing a ton of blame on the teams leading point producer, when he's on pace for a career best.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
One of those is on pace for 78pts, another is on pace for 53, and the other is on pace for 43pts.

One has had people join in with those who already wanted to trade him BEFORE the season started - Zucker, another has become a hot tdl sell - Staal, the other most people are still ok with, but wish his current production would pick back up a bit Granlund.

I don't think Staal has been immune to criticism, but he's still only paid around $3m... the value vs production is still in his favor, and he plays an important position that we don't have a lot of depth for.

Zucker is not meeting his contract level, in fact he's on pace well below his production from even a few years ago... yet for the first time he's getting tons of pp time on top of it, and it's hurting the team more since he's such a negative impact on said power play.

Zucker has literally everything going against him in this, which is why he's seemingly taking more blame. Staal is still taking quite a bit of blame himself though too... and though Granlund the past couple weeks isn't as good as most of the rest of the season, he's still nearly a point per game player while playing with the two struggling linemates, people are having a hard time placing a ton of blame on the teams leading point producer, when he's on pace for a career best.
I'm just talking immediate issues and performance, not big-picture stuff. Big picture I'm sure all three of them will be fine, but over the last half-dozen games or so they've all been bad. Getting almost zero production from our "first line" at a crucial point in the season has really hobbled the team, especially with Dumba out.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm just talking immediate issues and performance, not big-picture stuff. Big picture I'm sure all three of them will be fine, but over the last half-dozen games or so they've all been bad. Getting almost zero production from our "first line" at a crucial point in the season has really hobbled the team, especially with Dumba out.
Yes, but blame from fans doesn't only come based on two weeks of play is my point.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ll blame Granlund. He had a turnover yesterday that shortly there after resulted in a goal for Toronto. Zucker is playing injured and should be moved down the lineup but he was nowhere near the play. Granlund has one goal in his last 22 games. That last goal was November 29th.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’ll blame Granlund. He had a turnover yesterday that shortly there after resulted in a goal for Toronto. Zucker is playing injured and should be moved down the lineup but he was nowhere near the play. Granlund has one goal in his last 22 games. That last goal was November 29th.
Yet he still has 13pts in 14 games since then.

Zucker has... 4.

One is known as a playmaker who can occasionally score goals, the other is supposed to be a goal scorer... yet he's behind in goal scoring of that playmaker who hasn't scored a goal since November.

Again, not saying Granlund can't play better, we all know he can and should, but it's hard to blame a guy who is only struggling just a bit vs a player being an anchor on the team.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yet he still has 13pts in 14 games since then.

Zucker has... 4.

One is known as a playmaker who can occasionally score goals, the other is supposed to be a goal scorer... yet he's behind in goal scoring of that playmaker who hasn't scored a goal since November.

Again, not saying Granlund can't play better, we all know he can and should, but it's hard to blame a guy who is only struggling just a bit vs a player being an anchor on the team.
Maybe Zucker would score more if Granlund would stop turning the puck over. All three are weak on the puck. Zucker has always been weak keeping the puck. Staal and Granlund I expect better.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe Zucker would score more if Granlund would stop turning the puck over. All three are weak on the puck. Zucker has always been weak keeping the puck. Staal and Granlund I expect better.
Except Granlund has only been doing that in the past couple weeks, that does nothing to explain all the time prior to that.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Except Granlund has only been doing that in the past couple weeks, that does nothing to explain all the time prior to that.
First 27GP Zucker had 9g 9a 18pts. That’s a 27+27 82GP pace. The last 2-3 weeks he has 11GP 1g 1a 2pts. That’s a 7+7 82GP pace.

“That does nothing to explain all the time prior to that.”

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
First 27GP Zucker had 9g 9a 18pts. That’s a 27+27 82GP pace. The last 2-3 weeks he has 11GP 1g 1a 2pts. That’s a 7+7 82GP pace.

“That does nothing to explain all the time prior to that.”
First 11gp, Zucker had 4g, 5a, 9pts, 67pt pace. The last 27gp he's had 6g, 5a, 11pts, 33pt pace.

See? I can do that too, so yes, the last 2 weeks does nothing to explain all that time prior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad