Who is this years whipping boy?

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
How about Fenton?

My guess is Pateryn, though. Just like Foligno was last year, though he ended up strongly. Caught some of a Leafs game , and Ennis looked sharp.
I think the opposite with Pateryn. I think he's going to win a lot of people over with the way he plays. I don't really have a whipping boy established, although I'm not a fan of the Brown signing or his roster spot over Read. I just think Brown is a tweener at best. Other than him I'll just wait and see who is going to play like an idiot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the opposite with Pateryn. I think he's going to win a lot of people over with the way he plays. I don't really have a whipping boy established, although I'm not a fan of the Brown signing or his roster spot over Read. I just think Brown is a tweener at best. Other than him I'll just wait and see who is going to play like an idiot.

What's odd with Brown is he's a player I "should" like; he plays fast and physical after all. I just don't think he's a good hockey player.

Pateryn going mostly unnoticed (in a good way) in the bottom pair is about what I'm expecting.

On the bright side if it's a 4th line or bottom pair player that has the whipping boy that usually means the top-9 and top-4 are playing well.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Fenton. When the team takes a step back this year, we'll all blame him for not making any moves in the offseason.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Fenton. When the team takes a step back this year, we'll all blame him for not making any moves in the offseason.
Manager doesn't count, as all managers are whipping boys. This is because most fans and especially HF contributors think they could do a better job, without any knowledge of the difficulties of the position.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
So far, it seems like Brodin is running away with this. Coyle is getting some flak, but nowhere near the amount Brodin is taking. For what it's worth, I thought Brodin looked better against Arizona, although the level of competition needs to be taken into consideration. He made some beautiful escape moves in the defensive zone allowing him to transition out of the zone. Even saw him put the puck on the net. Frankly, his level of play is no worse than Suter's this season. Tentative, uninspired play.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So far, it seems like Brodin is running away with this. Coyle is getting some flak, but nowhere near the amount Brodin is taking. For what it's worth, I thought Brodin looked better against Arizona, although the level of competition needs to be taken into consideration. He made some beautiful escape moves in the defensive zone allowing him to transition out of the zone. Even saw him put the puck on the net. Frankly, his level of play is no worse than Suter's this season. Tentative, uninspired play.
Holy shit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, I don't get all the Brodin hate, but I value good defensive defenseman, especially ones who can skate and move the puck. This criticism of his passing leaves me bemused. He's no Granlund, but I see him making good passes every game. He will tend towards the safe choice when passing, but is that really such a bad thing? Those passes up the gut from your own end look great when you send Zucker in all alone, but not so great when it's intercepted and the other team has a prime scoring chance.

I wish Brodin would move his feet more, and think a tad more aggressively when the puck is on his stick. With his wheels, those first two steps with the puck, judiciously applied, can open a host of possibilities. New passing and skating lanes open up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Problem is, those beautiful escape moves still only led him to chipping the puck up the boards (at least the two times that stuck in my mind; maybe it was only 2 of many).

Reactions: 2Pair

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Problem is, those beautiful escape moves still only led him to chipping the puck up the boards (at least the two times that stuck in my mind; maybe it was only 2 of many).
Agreed, but as a defenseman myself, if you make a good move and escape, and nobody's where they're supposed to be, or moving to space, sometimes it's best to just get it out of the zone and live to fight another day. Wings and centers are often culpable in poor transition games.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed, but as a defenseman myself, if you make a good move and escape, and nobody's where they're supposed to be, or moving to space, sometimes it's best to just get it out of the zone and live to fight another day. Wings and centers are often culpable in poor transition games.
Yup. Gaining puck possession and chipping it out is actually a good outcome compared to what might otherwise happen. There is a time for creativity, and there is a time for getting the f***ing rubber out of the zone. And let's not pretend that is all Brodin does, and that he is incapable of making good passes. That's simply untrue. He is simply more conservative when he passes, and if he errs, he errs on the side of caution.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yup. Gaining puck possession and chipping it out is actually a good outcome compared to what might otherwise happen. There is a time for creativity, and there is a time for getting the ****ing rubber out of the zone. And let's not pretend that is all Brodin does, and that he is incapable of making good passes. That's simply untrue. He is simply more conservative when he passes, and if he errs, he errs on the side of caution.

The two times that I'm thinking of, he wasn't under a tremendous amount of pressure, after the escape move.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Well, Brodin and Foligno have been playing way above our expectations to this point. Brodin has played very well the last few games and Foligno on the fourth line and penalty kills has been a monster.

So who do we project our angst upon? My guess is until JEE scores a few, he'll be the recipient. Gotta have someone, right?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, Brodin and Foligno have been playing way above our expectations to this point. Brodin has played very well the last few games and Foligno on the fourth line and penalty kills has been a monster.

So who do we project our angst upon? My guess is until JEE scores a few, he'll be the recipient. Gotta have someone, right?

Nino before JEE (who is just coming off an injury) imo. Brown is the easy one to pick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brown is not very effective, for sure. One wonders if Rau would do just as good, if not better, of a job. And the train coming down the tracks long term is Kunin. I hope that he is a scorer, but he is also a decent grinder, so he could play 4 th line minutes. Foligno and Fehr look good as 4th liners.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, he's not getting good shots off, but he's looking better, to me. Coyle, too. Nino is definitely engaging in front of the net.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, he's not getting good shots off, but he's looking better, to me. Coyle, too. Nino is definitely engaging in front of the net.
Agree with this. Nino's board game is getting better as is his net-front presence. Other teams seem to hate him, so that's a plus, also.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So far Nino and Coyle are running away with it.

Coyle hurts more considering he's the last remaining piece from the Burns trade years ago. Looks like we got nothing outta Burns.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So far Nino and Coyle are running away with it.

Coyle hurts more considering he's the last remaining piece from the Burns trade years ago. Looks like we got nothing outta Burns.

Pretty complicated game of what-if. If Burns would have re-signed for 10 years, 50 millions... If the Wild had drafted Rickard Rakell over Zack Phillips ... If the Wild had drafted Pontus Aberg ... If Setoguchi had been 100% healthy ... the Wild could have won that 2014 Cup in some world ... IF.

But yeah, Russo is keeping a daily count from Nino's last goal ... I'd say due to his pedigree, his potential, his 'fancy stats' performance, his salary, fans can expect more. And for some of these reasons, he might be changing addresses at some point this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad