Who is this years whipping boy?

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I haven't figured out who we're going to have as our whipping boy this year. Preliminary indications from this summers discussions and preseason game threads point to the following:

Defense: Brodin
Forwards: Coyle, JEE, Foligno

I believe it's more likely it will be Zucker, because it seems like we hate players who get payed and then don't exceed our expectations, or Pateryn, who will make a bad pass leading to a goal and we'll never get over it.

Who do you think will be endlessly disparaged this year, joining the illustrious rank of previous whipping boys; PMB, Brodziak, Koivu, Suter et alia?

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Coyle took it on the chin last year. A couple surgeries later, we know why. Hockey's injury report is a joke and it's impossible to tell what is injury related and what is talent related. I'm a huge fan of 3 so I hope it's not him again. Hopefully he's back to his ninja self.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Coyle took it on the chin last year. A couple surgeries later, we know why. Hockey's injury report is a joke and it's impossible to tell what is injury related and what is talent related. I'm a huge fan of 3 so I hope it's not him again. Hopefully he's back to his ninja self.

I hope not. I prefer Coyle when he's noticeable on the ice. :naughty:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Here's who shouldn't be whipping boys:
-The two guys that end up filling the 4th line next to Foligno. Expectations for them since they signed have been "meh" at best.
- Seeler/Greenway, rookies get a lot of leeway before they become whipping boys.
- Prosser, if he's playing it's because of injury or someone ahead of him pulls a Quincey.

I'm guessing it'll be the same guys as last year:
- Dumba; got a big new contract, history of mistakes, took Spurgeon's spot.
- Koivu; tradition demands it.
- Foligno; overpayed, Scandella trade.
- Dub; doesn't pitch a shutout every time he's on the ice, it's easy to blame the goalie.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Hmmm, Dumba's name coming up. That's surprising to me. I know me makes boneheaded plays on occasion, but he seems to be a fan favorite at this point. Or maybe it's our belief/hope, that he can turn into a star player and when he doesn't meet these expectations, he'll really get abused.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pateryn because he’s “overpaid.”

My choice is Brodin. He’s just not as good in the defensive zone as people think but if you comment on it the cult gets pissy.

Reactions: TaLoN

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Hmmm, Dumba's name coming up. That's surprising to me. I know me makes boneheaded plays on occasion, but he seems to be a fan favorite at this point. Or maybe it's our belief/hope, that he can turn into a star player and when he doesn't meet these expectations, he'll really get abused.
The people that never liked him well being looking for his mistakes.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
last year i gave JEE a free pass. this year JEE , coyle & overpaid foligno will be under my microscope.
JEE is only 21 and in his second year. Although he was a 1st round draft pick, expectations for the 20th overall pick shouldn't be very high. Chances of guys picked in the latter half of the 1st round turning into top 6 players is pretty remote. I think he played well in his first year, and think he'll improve, scoring-wise, this year, although I think expectations for him are too high. Seems like this market is craving a superstar, and puts this hope, unfairly, on whichever player has been drafted earliest for us. Greenway will be our next "disappointment" in this regard, in my opinion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How about Fenton?

My guess is Pateryn, though. Just like Foligno was last year, though he ended up strongly. Caught some of a Leafs game , and Ennis looked sharp.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
JEE is only 21 and in his second year. Although he was a 1st round draft pick, expectations for the 20th overall pick shouldn't be very high. Chances of guys picked in the latter half of the 1st round turning into top 6 players is pretty remote. I think he played well in his first year, and think he'll improve, scoring-wise, this year, although I think expectations for him are too high. Seems like this market is craving a superstar, and puts this hope, unfairly, on whichever player has been drafted earliest for us. Greenway will be our next "disappointment" in this regard, in my opinion.
Doesn't matter how old you are or where you were picked, if you're on the 3rd line you need to look like a 3rd liner. Same goes for everyone.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
i judged fletch on trades / picks , fenton hasnt made any yet. i would have liked him to pull off a miracle summer trade but really what could he have done. no cap space!
Also need dance partners. Sounds like they had one with Arizona but no one on here liked the rumored trade.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My choice is Brodin. He’s just not as good in the defensive zone as people think but if you comment on it the cult gets pissy.

That's how it is with Spurgeon, but even more so. If the Brodin/Spurgeon pair doesn't work it'll end up being Brodin's fault.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's how it is with Spurgeon, but even more so. If the Brodin/Spurgeon pair doesn't work it'll end up being Brodin's fault.

The "cult of Spurgeon" is mostly defending him against those that can't see past the 5'9".

When a line/pairing doesn't work out, it's usually pretty hard to blame the best player on said line/pairing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As the Vice-president of the Brodin cult, and a card carrying member of the Ipurgeon cult, I think some of you are crazy, and will include you in my prayers tonight when I am sacrificing squirrels in my basement.

Reactions: FVM

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
As the Vice-president of the Brodin cult, and a card carrying member of the Ipurgeon cult, I think some of you are crazy, and will include you in my prayers tonight when I am sacrificing squirrels in my basement.
speaking of squirrels we had a white albino for a few years and it just got flattened in the street the other day. I cant stand all the gray ones but the white one was kinda cute. im vice prez of the zucker fan cult club ; I will be the ceo of the kaprizov fan cult club.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Also need dance partners. Sounds like they had one with Arizona but no one on here liked the rumored trade.

I didn't comment on it because my keyboard was, and still is, partially broken but I actually didn't hate that trade rumor. I wasn't a fan of it or anything, thought we would be overpaying, but Dvorak would have been a needed addition to this team in about 1 year from now. I mean, our top 2 centers are Staal (this is the last year of his deal) and Koivu (will be 36). Who are our top 2 centers when they're gone? JEE and one of Greenway or Kunin? Long odds there. That's also why this team has to try Greenway at center.

On topic: Anyway, I'm thinking Dubnyk might get some criticism for those soft goals he lets in. Not sure we really have a Skoula on this team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad