Who is this year's surprise pick?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Brandon Sutter, and rightfully so. He may be the best all around player in this draft. Some people have him penciled to NY at 17 or Calgary at 18 but I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken anywhere from 9-13

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
People are talking about Max Paicriotty (sp?) about being a potential suprise pick. I've heard him going anywhere from late second round, to as early as a top 10 pick.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Brendan Smith late in the first. Some media mocks have him there, I think he'll sneak in and be drafted on Friday.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
People are talking about Max Paicriotty (sp?) about being a potential suprise pick. I've heard him going anywhere from late second round, to as early as a top 10 pick.

SportsNet had him going to Toronto at 13.

So I agree he could be a surprise pick.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Jack Downing didn't do much this season, but people in my area (papers etc.) talk about him a bit. Seems like he could be drafted around the 5th round or so. Or, he might not go drafted.

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
Scott Neidermeyer now that he is back on the market. Look for the Leafs to grab him as JF Jr. outsmarts everyone.

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already but who do you all think will...

a) go a lot higher than expected? (like Blake Wheeler did)

b) come out of nowhere and be taken at some point in the draft (not necessarily in just the first three rounds)?

Michael Repik. He could go in the late first round.

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already but who do you all think will...

b) come out of nowhere and be taken at some point in the draft (not necessarily in just the first three rounds)?

How about David Stich? He could go in the second or early third.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
It seems like all of you are just looking at the first round, so how about some of the latter rounds? Any unknown/least likely players you all could potentially see being picked up?

In the 6th round, Ottawa will select an angry grizzly bear to add more grit to the lineup.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
It seems like all of you are just looking at the first round, so how about some of the latter rounds? Any unknown/least likely players you all could potentially see being picked up?

Aaron Lewadniuk from the Winkler Flyers in the MMJHL would be my surprise pick of the draft. He was awesome this year but Manitoba's Jr. A circuit is seldom scouted.

Aaron's rights were recently acquired by the Brandon Wheat Kings, but he'll probably decided to go the college route. He's committed to Bemidji in the NCAA, and was taken in the 2nd round of the USHL draft. I doubt he plays in the USHL, as he wants to play close to home. So Bemidji or Brandon in '07-'08.

Soilent Greene

May 27, 2007
A) Tyson Sexsmith, it seems like there's always a goalie some team decides is gold. I'm betting Sexsmith.

B) Sloof Lirpa. It'll happen.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
this is pretty random, i admit

A few more:

Round 1-2: Colby Cohen (Lincoln - USHL)
Round 1(late)-3: Casey Pierro-Zabotel (Merritt - BCHL)
Round 2-3: Dion Knelsen (Alaska Nanooks - NCAA)
Round 2-3: Mike Connolly (Camrose - AJHL)
Round 2-3: Juraj Valach (Tri-City - WHL)
Round 3-4: Jason Gregoire (Lincoln - USHL)
Round 3-5: Erik Spady (Salmon Arm - BCHL)
Round 3-5: Louie Caporusso (St. Mike's - OPJHL)
Round 3-5: Alain Goulet (Aurora - OPJHL)
Round 4-5: Victor Bartley (Kamloops - WHL)
Round 4-5: Linus Omark (Swe)
Round 4-5: Scooter Vaughn (St. Louis - NAHL)
Round 4-5: Jon Kalinski (Minn. State - NCAA)
Round 5-6: John Lee (Waterloo - USHL)
Round 5-7: Brayden Irwin (Vermont - NCAA)
Round 5-7: Carter Camper (Lincoln - USHL)
Round 6-7: Frazer McLaren (Portland - WHL)

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007

Collton Gilles

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Sutter goes in the top 10

Is Sutter one of those so-called "wild cards" that really has that much potential to go that high? And no, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. Some seem to question whether he could become the "real deal" while others say that he is simply underrated. He seems like he's somewhere in between. Can someone who has seen him play (with all biases and his bloodlines aside please) give me a brief assessment of his true potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->