Who is the "steal" of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fransson would be my pick. The level which he took his game to this year can only be matched by Ovehckin, Olez and Mezaros. You don´t see skaters like him often, I would compare his stride to Berards, a young Leetch or even Coffey in his prime. He also is very well rounded in his overall game. Solid shoot, stickhandling ect. His postioning is strong...

leafaholix*

From my team...

Dimitri Vorobiev - Barry Trapp says if he didn't weigh in at 230 during the combine in Toronto, he could have been a first round pick. Toronto got him in the 5th round.

Robbie Earl - Arguably the best skater in the draft, he has great hands and was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Toronto picked him up in the 6th.

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
I know it was the 1st round but I was really pissed to see the Sens get Meszaros late in the 1st round, right there is a huge steal.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Well here are a few steals in my opinion
Tukonen at 11, should have been a top 5 pick
Schwarz at 17, should have gone top 10
Meszaros at 23, A guy I thought would go around the 10-13 range
Schremp at 25, thought he'd be a 10-16 pick
Green at 29, This guy will be a very good defenceman thought he'd go top 20
Alexandrov at 83 is proabably the biggest steal of the draft. He is going to be a very dynamic player
I think Graham at 51 will turn out to be a steal for the Rangers
Lyamin at 58, another potential steal for the Sens
O'Neil is obviously a steal at 115
McGrath at 128 is a steal for the Wings in my opinion

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Call Me a "Homer" . . . .

At the risk of being labeled a "homer", I really like the Mighty Ducks selection of Matt Christie in the 8th round (236th pick overall).

Belarus Rocket

Mar 5, 2003
Sherbrooke
Visit site
Biggest steal

1)Kiril Lyamin
2)Oscar Hedman
3)Jan Steber(Yes,I think this guy as some potential,and the Leafs got a verry good player,he was draft pretty low, something around 250)

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
I'd say that Jeff Glass was a great draft pick by Ottawa, who had a really good draft, on the whole. Glass projects as a starter, and I know a couple of people in the SJ organization that love him. They were bummed that he went before SJ stepped to the podium.

~Crazed.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
DanielBriere48 said:
A better question would be who's the steal of the draft who wasn't picked by your team...these things become homer infested...

A thread dissolving into a big homer contest? That's crazy talk.

What I would like to see are "steals" that are not players that have been talked up relentlessly on these boards or by the scouting publications the last few months (i.e. no O'Neill's or Hedman's, etc.). All of us just regurgitate players we've heard of (myself included), most of us with very little knowledge about them.

Pick someone you haven't heard of, but you like based on what you've read about them from the draft... (just trying to mix this up a little bit).

In this vein, I'm amending my submission for the CBJ to Andrei Plekhanov (3rd rounder). He sort of came from nowhere, playing on a remote Russian team few got around to scouting (so I've read). Sounds like he has a great game and the CBJ have done a great job unearthing Russians in the last few years (Mozaykin) on top of getting more obvious ones like Zherdev and Kosmachev.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Steber, the guy played with two 16 year olds this year. Next year he will be above a PPG IMO.
Nice to hear.

Thanks Mac.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Both Brown and Ihnacak were picked by Pittsburgh in the 8th and 9th rounds respectively. Both are steals. Ihnacak was ranked the #8 prospect in the NCAA for this draft. Scored 30 points in 31 games as a Freshman. Brown was rated by RLR as the 26th best prospect in the draft I believe.

I was hoping the Kings would have drafted Ihnacak, decent collage and a center with a strong hockey heritage. Good pick up, can't believe he lasted til the 9th.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Scott mcCullough in the 6th round for the Hawks sounds like a pretty good value pick. He sounds like a decently skilled rock em sock em type. The more I read about him, he sounds like a late round steal.

I think Tukonen falling to 11 was the steal of the draft by a long shot. Wow!!!
Kings made themselves a helluva pick there.

RamczyK

Another Late Round Gem for the Wings

Need input here, but I think the Wings may have found a gem in Gennady Stolyarov (chosen in round 8/257 overall). He has size and will probably add muscle in time, his other attributes include a smooth stride and strong acceleration. Here is a brief synopsis by THN:

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/draft-team.cgi?Det&DraftID=4

What else can be said that I have missed? Am I right in my prediction that Stolyarov could be a huge coup on the Wings part (ala Datsyuk, Zetterberg, et al.)? Sure it is too early to be sure, but I think this player has the tools to be special. And it is the Wings!

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Ben Walter for the Bruins at 160. If he works on his acceleration and strength, I have no doubt that this kid will be in the NHL in 5 years.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
ryanlambert said:
Ben Walter for the Bruins at 160. If he works on his acceleration and strength, I have no doubt that this kid will be in the NHL in 5 years.
Just out of curiousity but why is he a "steal" if he is in the NHL in FIVE years?
I mean quite a few of these guys are going to be in the NHL in that time frame (or before) so I dont get how the guy being in the NHL (if he improves in some areas) makes him a "steal".?

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
re

Maybe Reddox cause I'm an Oiler fan.... The steal of the draft will probably end up being Stolyarov, Franzen, Axelsson, or Backstrom because they are European and were taken really late by Detroit.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
steblick said:
Apparently there is very strong suspicion that Alexandrov may be a year or two older than listed. That affected his draft position.

I think the fact that he is undersized and gets knocked off the puck easy in conjunction with Russian transfer fee is what made him drop. Dont underestiamte how much the transfer fee hurt the Russian prospects this year. It was among the lowest amount of Russians that hav been drafted in several years & outside of Ovechkin & Malkin I think it hurt their draft status across the board this eyar.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
stardog said:
Just out of curiousity but why is he a "steal" if he is in the NHL in FIVE years?
I mean quite a few of these guys are going to be in the NHL in that time frame (or before) so I dont get how the guy being in the NHL (if he improves in some areas) makes him a "steal".?
because despite what central scouting said, i expected him to go earlier than he did. and i didn't mean that he would be in the NHL, I meant that he would be a regular mid-level player. i realize that i should have made that more clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->