Who is the "steal" of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Every year I like to find out which prospect you think will be a great player down the road. The rules are simple, you must choose somone taken AFTER the first round. So no fair taking a someone like Schwartz or Schremp.

I know many of my fellow Isles fans are going to name O'Neil. I would agree that he is a great value pick, but even though many scouting services had him higher, I ranked him as an early third rounder, so he's not my choice.

I like Ottawa's 2nd round pick, Kirill Lyamin as the steal of the draft. I think he'll be a very good NHL defensive defenseman, who I ranked as a late 1st rounder. At #58, he's a steal.

Who's yours?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Adam Pineault. 2nd round. CBJ.

top 10 talent coming into the year. he bombed at college and will be going to juniors this year. with some good coaching and guidance, hopefully he'll regain his form and can be a top-line RW.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't know why, but I like the David Brown pick by Pittsburgh in the 8th round.(I am not a big RLR supporter or anything, but I have followed him since last year. I think he can be a player)

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Both Brown and Ihnacak were picked by Pittsburgh in the 8th and 9th rounds respectively. Both are steals. Ihnacak was ranked the #8 prospect in the NCAA for this draft. Scored 30 points in 31 games as a Freshman. Brown was rated by RLR as the 26th best prospect in the draft I believe.

X-SHARKIE

I have to agree with all you of you except the Pineault one, I think his pick was just good value.

I love, Absolutely love Kirill Lyamin at 58th, Sens get a top 3 defensman, who is versitale, and could devolope his offensive game more (witch is happening) and could be a steal.

Viktor Alexandrov was a possible first round and only went that late because he didn't play in any international tournaments this year, He has first round talent.

Schwarz is the biggest steal of the 1st round, Schremp and Tukonen along with Meszaros IMO were steals.

I still like Oscar Hedman over Fransson. It's not popular, obviosly, seeing him fall to the 8th ROUND! so I think that was a major steal.

Wes O'Neil, I couldn't believe team after team passed him up, I saw him all last year in Green Bay and twice again this year in Wisconsin..... He's smarter then scouts give him credit for.

I had David Brown ranked 2-4th round. Seeing him in the 8th round, once again passed up is a shame. I don't know why teams don't like him. He's a very good goalie.

outKast*

Liam Reddox, hahha listed at 5'9 170lbs but really closer to 6 feet and 190lbs. He led the Peterborough Pete's in goal assists and points. Has good dipsy doodling abilitites and seems to always be at the right place at the right time to score clutch goals. Has been compared to Mike Comrie. He was taken in the 4th round.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
outKast said:
Liam Reddox, hahha listed at 5'9 170lbs but really closer to 6 feet and 190lbs. He led the Peterborough Pete's in goal assists and points. Has good dipsy doodling abilitites and seems to always be at the right place at the right time to score clutch goals. Has been compared to Mike Comrie. He was taken in the 4th round.
Agreed I see Reddox as being one of the biggest steals of the draft, can definetly see Comrie in him(skill not attitude wise mind you).

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I still like Oscar Hedman over Fransson. It's not popular, obviosly, seeing him fall to the 8th ROUND! so I think that was a major steal.

Two players from Sweden with the name Hedman was drafted. The first one was Oscar Hedman and he was drafted in round 5. The other is Anton Hedman and was drafted in round 8. An honest mistake.

Oscar Hedman is obviously the one with talent ^___^

TVanek26*

A better question would be who's the steal of the draft who wasn't picked by your team...these things become homer infested...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Reddox for sure. Alexandrov definitely. I also have a feeling Mark Tobin will do well in TB, and Nick Fugere will become a very good power forward in Nashville.

However, my steal pick is Ryan Callahan to the Rangers. I absolutely love that pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
surixon said:
Agreed I see Reddox as being one of the biggest steals of the draft, can definetly see Comrie in him(skill not attitude wise mind you).

I don't see Comrie at all in Reddox.

Reddox isn't incredibly quick, nor is he incredibly big. Thus why he fell. But he's skilled, he's very smart and he's not afraid to sacrifice his body to make a play.

Comrie is much more of a speed and dazzle guy then Reddox.

Reddox is more of a Mike Zigomanis type of guy. Smart, usually in the right place at the right time, good all around skills.

Just thought that I'd edit in that I'm not knocking the Reddox pick at all. He's a solid player, I just don't see the Comrie comparisons at all. Being compared to Mike Zigomanis isn't exactly an insult. I think the Zigamonster will be a good NHL'er.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think Colorado choosing Wolski at 21, and the Blues taking Scwarz at 17 were two of the best selections in the draft. Granted, the players fell into their lap, but still, I think each team was ecstatic that they got them.

Lisin to Phoenix in the 2nd was a good pick, as was Dallas's choice of Johan Fransson.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Enoch said:
I think Colorado choosing Wolski at 21, and the Blues taking Scwarz at 17 were two of the best selections in the draft. Granted, the players fell into their lap, but still, I think each team was ecstatic that they got them.

Lisin to Phoenix in the 2nd was a good pick, as was Dallas's choice of Johan Fransson.

Lisin will probably turn out to be a good pick, but obviously he wasn't good enough for them not to trade down.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
EroCaps said:
I'm still waiting to hear why he fell. He's a mobile, sturdy, heady, solid all-around defenseman.

I'm waiting too. IMO this guy could be draft at the beginning of the 2nd round.

outKast*

Brock said:
I don't see Comrie at all in Reddox.

Reddox isn't incredibly quick, nor is he incredibly big. Thus why he fell. But he's skilled, he's very smart and he's not afraid to sacrifice his body to make a play.

Comrie is much more of a speed and dazzle guy then Reddox.

Reddox is more of a Mike Zigomanis type of guy. Smart, usually in the right place at the right time, good all around skills.

Just thought that I'd edit in that I'm not knocking the Reddox pick at all. He's a solid player, I just don't see the Comrie comparisons at all. Being compared to Mike Zigomanis isn't exactly an insult. I think the Zigamonster will be a good NHL'er.

Hate to burst your buubble bud, but a couple of years ago when Comrie played for the Oilers, i think i watched one and a half full seasons of Mike. You may have seen highlights of Mike Comrie but you definitely haven't seen his playing style as much as i have. Mike Comrie is not a speed demon you seem to make him to be. In his years in Edmonton i think he had one break away and did not score on it. Mike was definetly not even top 15 in the Oilers for skating ability or speed. He was good for the Oilers because he had good on ice vision and was simply always at the right place at the right time. I DARE you to post on the Oilers forum that Mike Comrie had speed and have all the Oiler fans disagree with you. Anyways yes Reddox does look extrememly similar to Mike. 80 percent of his goals are comparable to the Smyth-Comrie hookups i've seen of the Oiler games.
here...watch some Comrie clips and Reddox clips. You'll see it's a great comparison.

http://www.petesvideos.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
outKast said:
Hate to burst your buubble bud, but a couple of years ago when Comrie played for the Oilers, i think i watched one and a half full seasons of Mike. You may have seen highlights of Mike Comrie but you definitely haven't seen his playing style as much as i have. Mike Comrie is not a speed demon you seem to make him to be. In his years in Edmonton i think he had one break away and did not score on it. Mike was definetly not even top 15 in the Oilers for skating ability or speed. He was good for the Oilers because he had good on ice vision and was simply always at the right place at the right time. I DARE you to post on the Oilers forum that Mike Comrie had speed and have all the Oiler fans disagree with you. Anyways yes Reddox does look extrememly similar to Mike. 80 percent of his goals are comparable to the Smyth-Comrie hookups i've seen of the Oiler games.
here...watch some Comrie clips and Reddox clips. You'll see it's a great comparison.

http://www.petesvideos.com

Well you can burst my bubble all you want, but I just don't see the comparison.

The Oilers are my second favourite team in the NHL, and I follow them pretty closely. During the season, I post over on that board, nearly as much as the Leafs board. Comrie may not be a speed demon, but he's elusive and hits the open space very quick in order to finish off scoring chances, or to create them for himself.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Gracik to Atlanta in the 5th round.
I don't understand why he fell, I think he would have made a good second round pick. He has size (6'3) which he is not afraid to use, and a deft scoring touch. What I really like is that he is one of the youngest players in the draft, lots of room for improvement.

The knock on him is his skating, particularly his first step, but i have read more than one scouting report that describes him as a tremendously dedicated player who strives to improve. I don't believe it's anything power skating lessons can't fix.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Brock said:
Well you can burst my bubble all you want, but I just don't see the comparison.

The Oilers are my second favourite team in the NHL, and I follow them pretty closely. During the season, I post over on that board, nearly as much as the Leafs board. Comrie may not be a speed demon, but he's elusive and hits the open space very quick in order to finish off scoring chances, or to create them for himself.
I haven't seen Reddox play any full games, so I can't comment on the comparison. However, OutKast is partially right.

Comrie's footspeed was, IMO, quite poor when he joined the Oilers. It wasn't very evident at first because of his elusiveness, which you pointed out, however the Oilers have some very good power skating coaches on staff and Comrie improved his speed quite a bit during his time with the team. Other notable improvements have also been seen in Laraque and Stoll (who are still not pretty skaters, but Oiler fans would notice the improvement).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad