Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They can’t earn their spot in June or July. We already have Weise and hopefully Lehtera sitting in the press box. I just don’t see any short or long term value in adding Kunitz.

You're arguing my point: you can sign Kunitz in July, but they compete in camp. If you want to not sign anyone and just hand it to NAK, then that's fine too. Calling it "earning" a spot is very liberal in that case though.

Again: I don't really care if we sign him or not (I like him, but don't love him). Since this is the argument why not to, I have to challenge aspects that I think aren't quite fair.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He isn't trash (Lightning are happy with him), this team doesn't have plenty of character (I've often hear that on this board and I agree), and NAK certainly isn't guaranteed a spot by any means so it isn't "taking away" one from him, since he may not be ready for the jump despite his scoring. I'm suggesting signing Kunitz to the 4th line -- do you want NAK to be on the 4th line? I wouldn't.

Again: I'm not attached to Kunitz in particular, but he's the first player that comes to mind I'd select for that specific role. If we get someone else, great -- but he does address holes in the team I see (albeit not top priority ones).

He IS trash, and he's old as f*** on top of that. Accept it so we can all move on from your Kunitz posts. His name should never be uttered around here. :laugh:

I'd have no problem with having NAK start on the 4th line with a guy like Laughton as his Center. He's already spent 2 full years in the AHL. This notion that a skilled player has to either play top 6 in the AHL or top 9 in the NHL or they are going to damage their development is the reason a lot of NHL teams, ourselves included, always have shitty 4th lines.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You're arguing my point: you can sign Kunitz in July, but they compete in camp. If you want to not sign anyone and just hand it to NAK, then that's fine too. Calling it "earning" a spot is very liberal in that case though.

Again: I don't really care if we sign him or not (I like him, but don't love him). Since this is the argument why not to, I have to challenge aspects that I think aren't quite fair.

In your scenario we were already signing Bozak and Grabner, which isn't exactly "signing no one and handing NAK a spot," especially when he already has to leapfrog guys like Weise, Lehtera, Weal and other Phantoms like Vecchione, Vorobyev, and Bardreau.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
In your scenario we were already signing Bozak and Grabner, which isn't exactly "signing no one and handing NAK a spot," especially when he already has to leapfrog guys like Weise, Lehtera, Weal and other Phantoms like Vecchione, Vorobyev, and Bardreau.

I'll clarify: Signing no one for the 4th line spot (which Grab and Bozak don't fit since they're 2/3rd liners).

Those Phantoms likely aren't making the jump regardless. Weal is a tweener. Weise has his spot most likely and (for some reason) Lehtera.

Again: Just because I want it doesn't mean it's going to happen. It isn't insane to want to make the move however -- again, Tampa was quite happy with him. Ask their fans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll clarify: Signing no one for the 4th line spot (which Grab and Bozak don't fit since they're 2/3rd liners).

Those Phantoms likely aren't making the jump regardless. Weal is a tweener. Weise has his spot most likely and (for some reason) Lehtera.

Again: Just because I want it doesn't mean it's going to happen. It isn't insane to want to make the move however -- again, Tampa was quite happy with him. Ask their fans.

If we sign Bozak and Grabner, we are already pushing Raffl and Laughton down to the 4th line; so we don't need to sign anyone for the 4th. We just need to insert someone better than Weise or Lehtera in that last spot, that's where NAK or a different Phantom comes into play. You don't want to fill up EVERY available spot through free agency and block some of the kids we've been developing for a few years already from getting a fair look.

I'm excluding Jordan Weal as well because I think he is traded for a draft pick.

Reactions: Tripod

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If we sign Bozak and Grabner, we are already pushing Raffl and Laughton down to the 4th line; so we don't need to sign anyone for the 4th. We just need to insert someone better than Weise or Lehtera in that last spot, that's where NAK or a different Phantom comes into play. You don't want to fill up EVERY available spot through free agency and block some of the kids we've been developing for a few years already from getting a fair look.

I'm excluding Jordan Weal as well because I think he is traded for a draft pick.

Sure sure. I'll back off on this one. Not the hill to die on for me if we sign Kunitz or not.

I just believe his intangibles would be a welcomed addition to our bottom of the lineup.

Reactions: Rebels57

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

If you sign Kunitz in July, you’d now have him, Weise, and Lehtera all under contract. I don’t know why your inferring that I said to hand NAK a spot. Whether it’s NAK or another prospect, they’re already competing with two washed up veterans for a spot on the 4th line, why add another one?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If you sign Kunitz in July, you’d now have him, Weise, and Lehtera all under contract. I don’t know why your inferring that I said to hand NAK a spot. Whether it’s NAK or another prospect, they’re already competing with two washed up veterans for a spot on the 4th line, why add another one?

Because I think those 2 have sucked and Kunitz doesn't suck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

If you can't beat out Weise, Lehtera, Weal and Leier, you have no value.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Then why keep that on the 4th line? That's not what you're looking for in a 4th line. I like NAK but having him grind it out on the 4th is a waste IMO.

3rd line and up or better, IMO.
The 4th line is only a grinding line if you put grinders on it.

If you put players with some skill on it then it can be a possession line that (hopefully) beats out the opponents 4th line and maybe adds a bit of scoring.

For example, last year we had
Weal-Laughton-Raffl on the 4th line and they were beasts at just cycling and getting decent chances in the offensive zone. It only become a garbage grinding line when it ended up with trash like Lehtera and Weise on it.

So, optimistically, if next year the 4th line is
Raffl-Laughton-NAK then we’re in good shape and the line can be very useful.

Last edited:

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Lol at actually thinking any of those players would account for that big of a jump. The PK is going to be garbage so long as Lappy is here.
You mean Flyers have the right personal for PK? Outside of Provorov who on D can PK? Gudas, Sanheim, Hagg, MacDonald? Morin?

Lappy is without a question is the problem but he is not the only problem..

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You mean Flyers have the right personal for PK? Outside of Provorov who on D can PK? Gudas, Sanheim, Hagg, MacDonald? Morin?

Lappy is without a question is the problem but he is not the only problem..

Could the personnel improve? Absolutely but no guarantee Lappy/Hakstol would use them anyway. The passive scheme is absolute garbage too. So I’ve already conceded the PK isn’t going to be good again next year regardless with a likely bottom ten finish again.

I much rather focus on 5v5 play which none of those guys really help that much nor are they going to elevate our crappy PK into anything but crappy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The 4th line is only a grinding line if you put grinders on it.

If you put players with some skill on it then it can be a possession line that (hopefully) beats out the opponents 4th line and maybe adds a bit of scoring.

For example, last year we had
Weal-Laughton-Raffl on the 4th line and they were beasts at just cycling and getting decent chances in the offensive zone. It only become a garbage grinding line when it ended up with trash like Lehtera and Weise on it.

So, optimistically, if next year the 4th line is
Raffl-Laughton-NAK then we’re in good shape and the line can be very useful.

Raffl made that work, he made almost everything work.

Giroux - Couts - Raffl 8-5 (GF-GA) 59.3% (unblocked shots % for) - hmm, maybe that wasn't a bad line?
Weal - Laughton - Raffl 4-5, 54.3%
Raffl - Laughton - Leier 3-6, 59.0%
Raffl - Filppula - Voracek 9-3, 46.4%
Raffl - Filppula - Konecny 4-4, 50.0%
Raffl - Filppula - Simmonds 0-3, 47.0%

Laughton - Lehtera - Read, 1-2, 63.6%
Laughton - Lehtera - Weise, 1-1, 54.3%
Laughton - Lehtera - Leier, 1-1, 46.2%

Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, you'd like 4th line guys who can skate, forecheck, contribute on the PK and score the occasional goal.

Raffl - Vorobyev (when he's ready) - NAK
The problem with Laughton at center with these two is who is going to make a pass?
Which is how Laughton's line could put up good Corsi and bad scoring numbers, lot's of easy shots for goalies to handle.
Whereas Vorobyev is physical, good on the PK and an excellent passer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad