Speculation: Who is the NYR player you REALLY want to exceed expectations?

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Strome catches a lot of crap from people, which makes me want to back him up, but it's not too likely that he's a long-term Ranger anyway. I would say that Kakko's development is more important than anyone else's.

edit: good case for Trouba too because of the contract

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Better Kucherov on steroids than Kuznetsov on cocaine. Or as they say in Washington: standard Kuznetsov
HxYSzse.gif

Reactions: LionsHeart

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Should make an award for it. Like...the Tony DeAngelo award. Prospect that exceeds expectations. It's hard to have just one here. I want them all to kick ass!

Here's 3 of them and why...

1) Alex LaFreniere- Why? Because he was the NYR'S only 1OA, like...EVER! I want to look back one day and say. Damn! Imagine if the team didn't get lucky with that lotto ball in 2020? None of this would have ever happened without him. That's what i'm hoping for with LaFreniere. Decade of Greatness!

2) Chyil- My DNA test discovered that I am part Czech and Norwegian. Zucc's gone so...Chytil it is! Plus...Nothing better then a prospect that comes up through the system and makes it happen. Very satisfying feeling.

3) Will Cuylle- Tougher players, have to find ways to stick in the new NHL. Usually means they have to work harder and be the guy that does the things that nobody else in the room wants to do. Capable top 6 legitimate forwards. They are truly a rare breed. I like Matt Martin, or a Kyle Clifford types. That would be great. That would meet and maybe exceed expectations. What I really want to see is Will Cuylle develop into the next Tom Wislon.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If we assume ALL Rangers have a season in which we "expected" from them, who is the ONE player, that you wish to EXCEED expectations. For personal reasons (you just really like that particular player) or solely for TEAM oriented reasons (in which you feel if he does particularly well, the Rangers will.

Oh okay, lets leave Shesty and Georgiev OUT of this, because those 2 would be semi-obvious answers, unless YOU love 1 of them far more than any other answer, and not chosen solely for TEAM success.

My answer is Filip Chytil. With much of the attention going to many other players, he surely will be flying under the radar. He's a good kid, and lets not forget that he is already playing in his 3rd season, in which it could be quite the breakout year for him at the ripe old age of 21. Would LOVE to see him score at least his age. That would be outstanding in just a 56 game schedule.
Jack Johnson

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
On the Chytil bandwagon. It's still early days for Kakko and all our other first-tier prospects... Chytil has had more time and opportunity and shown only flashes. If he can be at least a 40+ point 3rd line center and shows he still has upside enough to project him as 2C sooner than later he solves a lot of problems. If he fails to do so, he creates a lot of problems. It's going to be a lot harder on the rebuild if his 2021 is another disappointment.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gauthier - has potential to deliver Krieder-esque speed, size, O-zone skill
He was my 2nd choice.....wouldnt THAT be awesome! A friggin diamond in the rough for "next to nothing"! How could they give up on his size and speed so easily? Wow, their loss and possibly a HUGE gain. (Pun intended)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well so my answer to the question has to take into consideration the existing expectations for each player. For guys like Kakko, Laf, Fox, Shesty, expectations are sky high.

So the obvious answer is Chytil- hes had an up and down start in the NHL, but like Lindgren, we really need at least one of 3 major prospects at his position to pan out. Just like Rykov and Hajek have busted while Lindgren succeeded, we need Chytil to make up for the disappointments we have had in Howden and Andersson.
Bold.....have they really BUSTED? That was quick.
Italicized and bold.......for sure disappointments, but Howden still has a shot. Maybe expectations TOO HIGH? Too soon to say, but looking that way. He still has hope, imho.

Reactions: KasparsHipCheck

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’d say Miller. If Miller exceeds expectations it has a trickle down to our entire defense. If he’s capable of partnering with trouba and even in a purely defensive role, he would allow ada to move back to the right, partner with smith who’s still an upgrade over staal and then we have a much better defensive foundation.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kakko would make me happiest because it’d be such a satisfying reversal from last year and I loved his play style in lower leagues. Laf would be super satisfying also since we rarely have a true rookie come on really strong right from the start.

In terms of utility to the team, K’Andre Miller or Chytil would be the most useful imo.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Buchnevich. Expecting him to score a few with Brad Marchand glued to his stick.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Outside of some of the more obvious guys I'd love to see Reunanen grab a spot but I think they go with a more physical vet instead

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Chytil because if he exceeds my expectations then he’ll have solidified the 2c spot.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
There’s so many options.

Chytil. Really need to see something this year or re-evaluate the center depth more seriously. Not expecting him to blow the doors off. Just establish himself more solidly.

Kakko. Not as important but we’d all breath easier seeing a nice step up from him. We’d like him to not have a slow development, like Chytil.

Trouba. I don’t know that he needs to EXCEED expectations but he needs to meet them. I think expectations now are lower for him than they were last year, and I’d say he needs to exceed the new lower bar and show he can be at least a good solid #2.

Strome. People are expecting a regression. Let’s hope he exceeds expectations and stays somewhat on par with last year.

Gauthier. It shouldn’t be terribly hard for him to exceed expectations because I don’t think they’re tremendously high, but it would be great to see him emerge as a legitimate middle six threat.

Then there’s a group who need to meet expectations for us to be in good shape. Bread and Z, Kreids, Fox and ADA, Shesty. Those guys need to come in around where we all expect them to or we’re gonna see a dip.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Kreider. I think the expectation with him is always 25-29.9 goals. Anything less than 30. Go get me 40.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That's a good question.

I'll go with Brett Howden.

It wouldn't require him becoming a star, but rather becoming the player he looked like in juniors and upon turning pro.

Brett Howden the first 20 games of his NHL career was a young Chris Drury. If he can become that again sign me up 25/8.

Reactions: bobbop

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kreider. I think the expectation with him is always 25-29.9 goals. Anything less than 30. Go get me 40.

I've somehow officially become "the guy who hates Kreider" on these boards which is not true lolol.

I don't expect him to hit 30 this year because of the schedule. Give me 20-22 and have Larry Brooks not have to write the Have. You. Seen. Chris. in any articles and I will not complain at all.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad