Who is the next Nicklas Bäckström?

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
Galchenyuk :dunno:

probably Galchenyuk imo

yeah seriously, "not a prolific scorer"?? 27 goals 61 pts in 33 games in his last year in Sarnia WITHOUT Yakupov. What more couldve he done? I mean really?

You cant say Backstrom was better just cus he was playing against men. Both proved themselves before coming the the NHL, and thats all you can say. David Rundblad dominated the SEL too, and look how he turned out.

Montreal wishes Galchenyuk will be anywhere near backstrom :laugh:

Backstrom is one of the best players in the league, hes extremely underrated, Galchenyuk isnt anywhere close and dont think he ever will be.

Scoring at a 1.84 ppg in the OHL after your draft year isnt that impressive, its expected of players drafted that high.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not really..

He plays with Hall (popular #1 LW pick on HF) and Eberle.

He has this year 9 goals, 13 A 22P in 33 games - 7 (on pace for 54 points)

He is playing with the #1 LW winger in the NHL and a 30 goal scorer, and has 22 points. He also sucks on D, and is over rated in that regard (kind of like Bozak). Not a great faceoff guy. He also makes 6mil.

If you think I was being cheeky with the Bozak comparison..

Bozak makes 4.2, this year

13 G 15 A 28 P in 35 games -2 (on pace for 66 points).

He is also a much better faceoff guy.

Obviously Bozak is better now as he is older, but if RNH can't even put up points with an all star winger and a goal scorer, his ceiling is not that high. Him and Bozak are very similar players.

Weird comparison.
Bozak at 21: 34 points in 41 games in college
RNH at 21: 154 points in 215 games in NHL

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Montreal wishes Galchenyuk will be anywhere near backstrom :laugh:

Backstrom is one of the best players in the league, hes extremely underrated, Galchenyuk isnt anywhere close and dont think he ever will be.

Scoring at a 1.84 ppg in the OHL after your draft year isnt that impressive, its expected of players drafted that high.

I see the comparison. Galchenyuk is really shifty, and if he had Ovechkin on his wing I think he would be a PPG player right now. He's still learning and has some ups and downs but he's been at a PPG for the last 10 games and has a 0.7PPG pace for the season compred to 1.03PPG for Backstrom alongside Ovechkin.

I think Backstrom developed more quickly and scored at a ridiculous pace early on, which Galchenyuk clearly hasn't done (yet) but he could potentially reach the same level.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I see the comparison. Galchenyuk is really shifty, and if he had Ovechkin on his wing I think he would be a PPG player right now. He's still learning and has some ups and downs but he's been at a PPG for the last 10 games and has a 0.7PPG pace for the season compred to 1.03PPG for Backstrom alongside Ovechkin.

I think Backstrom developed more quickly and scored at a ridiculous pace early on, which Galchenyuk clearly hasn't done (yet) but he could potentially reach the same level.

...?

I doubt Galchenyuk will be as dominant on the man advantage as Bäckström. Very few are. Bäckström is a world class playmaker. Top 5 at least.

Hazamat the Ocelot

Jul 7, 2013
Somewhat different question that Backy is a good example for:

Backy is often times overshadowed because he is linemates with OV, so my question is: who is the next great player that is overshadowed because of another star player on his line/team?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Like many have already said, Backstrom is criminally underrated. In fact, I think players of his ilk in general are underrated badly. Elite passers/playmakers are so key to a team's offense but because they're typically non flashy, quiet guys they tend to fly under the radar.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't really see the Galchenyuk/Forsberg comparisons. They're scorers. Backstrom is more of a cerebral, pure passer type; someone who is routinely going to put up 60+ assists. I'd like to think that Sam Reinhart will become that kind of player. He strikes me as a player who won't score a ton of goals in the NHL but has the vision, IQ and passing ability to rack up the assists.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Somewhat different question that Backy is a good example for:

Backy is often times overshadowed because he is linemates with OV, so my question is: who is the next great player that is overshadowed because of another star player on his line/team?

Tyler Johnson? Don't know if he has it in him to be a perennial all-star but he'll always be in Stamkos' shadow, and his name isn't helping hin either...

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
I don't really see the Galchenyuk/Forsberg comparisons. They're scorers. Backstrom is more of a cerebral, pure passer type; someone who is routinely going to put up 60+ assists. I'd like to think that Sam Reinhart will become that kind of player. He strikes me as a player who won't score a ton of goals in the NHL but has the vision, IQ and passing ability to rack up the assists.

I really like the Reinhart comparison. Good call.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I can't possible see Nylander develop into the same kind of player Bäckström is. Nylander does not read the game well and will prolly clean up the worst puckhog-habits but not enough.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
You can tell from the EPIX series how much Barry Trotz loves Bäckström. :)

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

Yea, I don't really see the Galchenyuk comparison. Chucky will have more goals but less assists. He's not a pure passer like Backstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad