Who Is The Next Leafs Captain?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I really don’t know. I know it won’t be Nylander. Hyman would be a better choice.

There was a time when most captains weren't simply the best player on their clubs, they were good players sure, but they were the actual leaders. I always thought Gretzky started the trend where they wanted to put the pressure of winning every night on the guy most able to make it happen, because he was just a kid when they dropped the C on him. Lafleur, Dionne, Bossy and Trottier were the stars of their championship teams, but not the captains.

I don't see Tavares or Rielly needing the C to bring their best game out so maybe you consider Marner or Matthews. If you could squeeze anything more out of either that would be insane, but mental games aside, probably Matthews and do it before the negotiations get too hard. I believe his talent, his comps and his agent will be squeezing the Leafs like a grape. I do not believe there is any chance the C makes him tougher to sign because he already holds all the cards, and there is at least some chance that the team captain won't try to bend the club over for that extra buck. He is a 200 foot player and someone you want on the ice all the time. Cheer leading aside, that seems like captain material. Who do you want out in the last minute when you are down by a goal?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rielly should be Captain. Somehow secretly having a Generational season for a D so far.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Honestly speaking captain mean really any thing (to me) because all decisions are made by the coaches (Line combinations / line changes / defensive adjustments / pulling out goalie / time out etc.) - so not sure what's the role of a "C" or "A" and then you have 2 or more "A" and some times at the same time on the ice

I do not necessarily disagree with any one but I don't see a need for it

member 300185

Rielly anyone?

Its gone far to long for the Leafs not to have a captain. Matthews is not captain material, especially with his play of late.

I am down for Rielly or Tavares to put on the C.

But this type of crap from Babcock is just getting old. I was so happy when we signed Babs, but the novelty has worn off especially with some of his idiotic decisions. Here is a guy that did all his winning with great players in front of him. He didnt develop them, he didnt draft them. I's swap out Quenneville for Babs and do it with a smile on my face.

Back to topic, who here is also tired of it and want to name a captain? I really don't think we can win anything without a leader on the ice and off the ice.

There really isn't much of a choice either.
-Rielly
-Tavares
-Matthews
-Marleau (albeit for only a year and change)
-Kadri (he has matured very well over these last few years and is taking on a leadership role)

Of this group you probably take out Marleau and Matthews.

-Rielly
-Tavares
-Kadri

Hand it to Rielly and be done with this nonsense. Are the Leafs the only NHL to not have a captain?

petah

Jan 3, 2019
Perhaps they will throw in the Captaincy during the contract talks with AM... that is my theory anyway.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not a leafs fan but...this is what i would do.

1. See how the playoffs work out. If there's some huge blow up (rumors last year of Matthews being unhappy), or anything special that happens (good or bad, cup vs 1st round sweep) that could change things. Basically if Leafs are swept in round 1 and Matthews or JT is a complete no-show - well you probably don't make them the captain 2 months later..and if Leafs win the cup and JT has this heroic smythe win - well maybe you pick him over Matthews as C.

2. Assuming nothing extraordinary happens in the playoffs (no cup/final - no huge disappointments - everyone plays ok but Leafs eliminted in ~round 2) - give it to Matthews if leafs management think he wants it/would handle it. ie he's #1 choice. If he doesn't want it (or if they feel pressure will hurt him/he'd rather be an A)...

3. Tell Matthews about it first - that you want to make him assistant to JT's C, make sure he's ok with it (I assume he would be - just dont piss him off) and make JT the captain.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Dark horse for his play and how much he loves the game is Marner, and I think he secretly really wants the C with his off season interview saying he wanted to be taken more seriously this year, alas I dont think he can shake the 'kid' persona that's been placed on him.

Realistically I think Matthew's, Reilly or Tavares, I think itll be settled on playoff performance personally.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
It with be Matthews and announced the same day they hand him an 8 year deal.

If they were going to give it to JT they would have already done it.

Matthews C
Rielly A
JT A
Magic A

This is what I'm thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding it in their back pocket and waiting to use it as a contract sweetener.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Matthews, Tavares, Rielly. I don't care which.

I think taking too long to pick one, at this point, is more of a worry than picking the wrong one.

member 300185

What is this even?

Over ppg in his last 5, last 10, whatever number of games you want to put on it.

Or did you expect close to 2 ppg all season?
You do know we are talking about leadership here right? We are not talking about the Ross or Richard trophy's. We are talking about captaincy. Matthews has never been a captain of any team.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You do know we are talking about leadership here right? We are not talking about the Ross or Richard trophy's. We are talking about captaincy. Matthews has never been a captain of any team.
You were talking about "his play as of late"

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Personally, I think it's gonna be Rielly. Everything you read says he's already the leader in the dressing room and he's also got the talent to back it up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There was a time when most captains weren't simply the best player on their clubs, they were good players sure, but they were the actual leaders. I always thought Gretzky started the trend where they wanted to put the pressure of winning every night on the guy most able to make it happen, because he was just a kid when they dropped the C on him. Lafleur, Dionne, Bossy and Trottier were the stars of their championship teams, but not the captains.

I don't see Tavares or Rielly needing the C to bring their best game out so maybe you consider Marner or Matthews. If you could squeeze anything more out of either that would be insane, but mental games aside, probably Matthews and do it before the negotiations get too hard. I believe his talent, his comps and his agent will be squeezing the Leafs like a grape. I do not believe there is any chance the C makes him tougher to sign because he already holds all the cards, and there is at least some chance that the team captain won't try to bend the club over for that extra buck. He is a 200 foot player and someone you want on the ice all the time. Cheer leading aside, that seems like captain material. Who do you want out in the last minute when you are down by a goal?
When down by a goal I start with Marner and add from there.

Capatains of teams have been the teams best players for a long time for the most part.
Keon, Howe, Sittler, Zyerman, Ovi, Messier the list goes on and on.

Rielly has been doing the job as captain as he is the one who talks to officials as well as coming out to speak to the Media. I would simply give it to JT he has done the job before. If Mathews was already signed long term JT would be wearing the C already.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Give it to the player who steps up and takes control of the team in a positive manner on and off the ice.

I don't know who that is.

Gretz was the captain, but was Messier the true leader?

Messier was a winner when he no longer played with Gretz.

I don't think it has to be the best player.

Last edited:

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
I think your crazy giving it to Mathews,he has shown no leadership quailities ,the fans and media want this but I just don't see it in him,lead on the ice and he takes too many games off,points should not be the deciding factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad