Who is the most underrated player in the NHL hands down?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Since we are going full homer in this thread, I would throw in Ryan Lindgren. Not much in the way of offense, but a rock defensively and tough as nails. Maybe not in the same category as some mentioned, but certainly under rated.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Draisaitl . Everyone thinks he a product of McDavid . Had one NYR fan argue he was a 40 point player with out McDavid . Hart winner last year while centring his own line. Averaging 1.5 ppg the last 2 years . A beast defensively but gets no credit for that side of his game .

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Huberdeau hands down. The dude has played at an all star level the last couple years and he's never mentioned as being one of the best players in the league. I understand playing for the Panthers is part of the reason but still, if not for COVID he'd have finished his 3rd straight 90 point season this year.

Reactions: User9992

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Draisaitl . Everyone thinks he a product of McDavid . Had one NYR fan argue he was a 40 point player with out McDavid . Hart winner last year while centring his own line. Averaging 1.5 ppg the last 2 years . A beast defensively but gets no credit for that side of his game .

I didn’t buy your argument the first two times, but I have to admit on the third time through you started to convince me.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
He's one of the best player in the league, for sure. But there is literally nothing to support him being a "beast defensively". He's good at stripping the puck from his opponents but that's it.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It has to be Danault. Everyone tells me that the Habs won't be a good team without him /s

I'd like to nominate a Habs player, but the problem in Montreal is that we pretty much overrate everyone except when they start playing bad, where the fanbase literally turns on the players lol

I'd say it's Price. I saw some fans argue that Allen was brought in so we can expose Price to Seattle and use Allen as a #1 LOL.
And fans from other teams completely disrespect his play.

Yep, his contract sucks, but he's still an excellent starter.

Reactions: Voight

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chych never really stagnated. Dude had a great draft year and followed it up by making the NHL at 18 and needed a few years to develop. The problem was that he was WAY over scouted and dropped the last 4 months before the draft, for a few people on this site he was still seen as a top 5 pick on draft day. It was Chychrun or Dubois for me at 4th.
The biggest issue with people's perception of Chycrun was that he fell quite a lot in draft rankings over the draft year, and even on draft day. To many, falling on draft day mean imminent bust, but that wasn't the case here. McKenzie had him ranked 2nd, behind Matthews, a year before the draft. By the final ranking, McKenzie had him at 13, Sportnset had him 12, and then he went and fell to 16. Lots of people took that to mean that he was a failing prospect I think.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
pavel-buchnevich-2.jpg

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The biggest issue with people's perception of Chycrun was that he fell quite a lot in draft rankings over the draft year, and even on draft day. To many, falling on draft day mean imminent bust, but that wasn't the case here. McKenzie had him ranked 2nd, behind Matthews, a year before the draft. By the final ranking, McKenzie had him at 13, Sportnset had him 12, and then he went and fell to 16. Lots of people took that to mean that he was a failing prospect I think.
Ya that's what I mean. He was over scouted, people started picking apart his play on a micro level and applying that to the macro where that's what he was. In reality he's always been an absolute stud. Bob Mac's lists are always just a compilation of scouts opinions and while helpful and unique his list includes bias like that.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Chychrun is a good one.

But I think it's Scheifele. He's been a consistent top point producer but doesn't seemingly get the recognition he deserves as others do.

Marchand -- even knowing how good he is, I still get surprised seeing his name at the top of the leader board every time I see it. His reputation certainly clouds his talent.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad