Who is the most underrated goal scorer in NHL history?

Lionheart

Jul 20, 2005
Ottawa
Tim Kerr is the first guy I thought of. If it weren't for the injuries, he'd be talked about a LOT more than he is.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you get rid of Gartner then there needs to be a large purge of other players as well....which I know you dont have a problem with, im just saying it.

I personally dont have issues with players like Gartner, Gilles, etc being in the Hall....for me the criteria is and should be open-ended and looked at from many angles. I dont think having Gartner in the Hall diminishes the accomplishments of players like Orr, Mario, Howe.....but thats just my take

In Gartners you still have to consider the fact he played on arguable the most defensive team in the NHL (during his Cap days). The only other team that I can think of off the top of my head in that conversation is the Flyers, who he had to play against a lot as they were division foes

all this being said I take Dino over him every day of the week

That is why they vote. No two people are going to have the same opinion or criteria. Myself, I don't like the notion of a "Mendozza" (sp?) line for the HOF. Nor do I think it can be quanified purely in points.

For example, Andreychuk has more career goals than Mogilny. But which is more HOF worthy? At their best, AlMo blows Dave out of the water. I love Andreychuk and think he had a great career (vastly under-rated as a defensive player) and at his peak he was a borderline top-5 to top-10 LW in the legaue... but I don't think he was ever a dominant player. Mogilny didn't have the longevity, but in his prime he was on the shortlist for most dangerous goalscorers in the league. I would vote for Mogilny before Andreychuk even though the career numbers go the other way.

I think peak and accomplishments weigh in more than longevity.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
That is why they vote. No two people are going to have the same opinion or criteria. Myself, I don't like the notion of a "Mendozza" (sp?) line for the HOF. Nor do I think it can be quanified purely in points.

For example, Andreychuk has more career goals than Mogilny. But which is more HOF worthy? At their best, AlMo blows Dave out of the water. I love Andreychuk and think he had a great career (vastly under-rated as a defensive player) and at his peak he was a borderline top-5 to top-10 LW in the legaue... but I don't think he was ever a dominant player. Mogilny didn't have the longevity, but in his prime he was on the shortlist for most dangerous goalscorers in the league. I would vote for Mogilny before Andreychuk even though the career numbers go the other way.

I think peak and accomplishments weigh in more than longevity.

If i had to pick one I too would say Mogilny....but I would pick both if I had the option

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Mothra: 'If you had read the title you would have noticed that the debate isnt who is the best goal scorer....its who is the most underrated'

roger that. but Gretz IS an underrated goal scorer which is ridiculous because he scored the most. not the best shot, not the hardest shot, but he shot the puck into the net the most, therefore he should be considered the best . Yet, he isn't by most.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Michel Goulet. It takes A LOT of talent to score 500+ goals with Dale Hunter as your regular center.

Randall Graves*

Mothra: 'If you had read the title you would have noticed that the debate isnt who is the best goal scorer....its who is the most underrated'

roger that. but Gretz IS an underrated goal scorer which is ridiculous because he scored the most. not the best shot, not the hardest shot, but he shot the puck into the net the most, therefore he should be considered the best . Yet, he isn't by most.
His slap shot was incredibly accurate. He didn't shoot it as hard as Al Iafrate but I bet he could still crank it up to the 90's(easily if he had todays gear)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Michel Goulet. It takes A LOT of talent to score 500+ goals with Dale Hunter as your regular center.

I remember him playing a lot with Stastny

EDIT: Forgot to add...in either case Hunter was a pretty slick playmaker and they (Quebec) did a lot of damage on the PP

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't know about the term 'underated', these guys were not at the time, but I don't hear their names mentioned very often on this forum...

Jean Beliveau, Frank Mahovlich, Andy Bathgate among others were great goal scorers of the past.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Pierre Larouche is one I thought of right away. Great goal scorer, just got hosed over by Bowman in Montreal or he'd have well over 400 goals (had 395 as it was). Total "natural goal scorer", as they say.

Don Murdoch was another who was great but just didn't last, due to the night life.

Rick Vaive and Rick Martin were good answers, too. Martin was the most feared shooter in the NHL before Bossy came along. Held the rookie goal scoring record Bossy broke, too, with 44 goals.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004

Speaking of Stastny, he's who I'd nominate. Exactly 450 career goals, and he was robbed of some more at the beginning (Iron Curtain) and at the end (bad back). He averaged 40 goals a year through his first eight seasons, notching 45+ five times in that span. He was literally a goal or two away from being top ten in a season three times.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
While big brother Charlie usually gets his due, Roy Conacher tends to get shortchanged. He finished top-2 in goals 5 times despite missing a couple of seasons during his peak due to the war.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Dale Hawerchuk is really underrated as a goal scorer. He posted over 500+ career goals but he never gets the credit as a goal scorer, just as a play maker. He was good at both but his goal scoring was shadowed by someone named Gretzky in the Smythe Division. He averaged 40+ goals with the Jets and about 25-ish with Buffalo.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

EDIT: Forgot to add...in either case Hunter was a pretty slick playmaker and they (Quebec) did a lot of damage on the PP

His regular center was Dale Hunter. He played with Stastny on the PP.

steevy

Mar 5, 2008
Back in the 21 teams days there were tons of second tier guys who were underrated(never got much postseason recognition) .Guys who would be stars in this low scoring NHL.Paul MacLean,Joe Mullen(he did make one postseason all star team),Brian Sutter,Mike Gartner,Steve Payne,Tony Tanti,Dino Ciccarelli,Blane Stoughton,Wilf Paiment,Brian Propp...the list goes on....Larmer was a post season AS after his best year but was second tier scoring 40 goals and 90 points or so year in and year out,there were so many good right wings in those days.Kerr was not underrated,everyone knew he was a monster,albeit he was one dimensional......

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
His regular center was Dale Hunter. He played with Stastny on the PP.

youre probably right and im thinking more on the PP....

but.....it certainly wasnt Hunter after Hunter was traded to Washington.....Goulet still had at least 1 more big season with the Nords post Hunter....

steevy

Mar 5, 2008
A Fyers fan could make a good argument for Brian Propp.The guy seemed like he was 40/90 every year but got very little respect....

Ogopogo*

Cy Denneny and Cecil Dye. The 7th and 8th greatest goal scorers of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad