Who Is The Most Underestimated Prospect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JasonMacIsaac said:
Kesler and Koltsov??? Kesler was just drafted, and way to high in almost everyones opinion, the day of the draft every canucks fan was pissed at the draft pick, what has he done to deserve any hype. Koltsov had his share of hype and like I said isn't great defensivly.

Not me, I was happy!!!

And apparently Crow has quite a hard-on for Kesler.

Don't go lumping all us Nuckleheads together!

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Kesler is adjusting very nicely to the pro game and I think he'll be a fine player. As the youngest player in the AHL he's put up some good numbers, and he's looked sharp in the NHL during his stint so far.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
I Think Alex Buturlin (mtl 2rnd Choice #39 Overall 1999 Draft) Could Surprise Many People In Some Years.

JasonMacIsaac said:
If you only knew what Nuck fans said it, the most respected ones.

A lot were disappointed because O'Sullivan and Fritsche were available and most people thought their potential outclassed Kesler's. They saw Kesler as a quality third liner with little upside, another "safety pick". Understandably people had flashbacks of Nathan Smith.

I saw him play in college and I had no such fears. The kid doesn't handle like Datsyuk or skate like Bure, but he can certainly create offense. On my board only Fritsche was ranked above Kesler when the Canuck's selected, I can't say the same for a number of other picks we've made.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'll have to go against the grain with my fellow Canuck fans, and say the most underestimated Canuck prospect is young Russian winger Ilia Krikunov. He's had an impressive rookie year in the RSL so far, collecting 13 points in 22 games( 6g, 7a) in 3rd line ice time. I'm excited to see him play at the upcoming WJC, he should be a key player for Russian, especially if he plays on a line with Ovechkin.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dr_Chimera said:
Welch is pretty good, but he doesn't have the upside of Moore.

Welch's upside is a #1 all-star calibre dman. I don't know how much more upside you can have, short of being the next Bobby Orr, or something.

Also, I'd say that Welch is more of a sure-thing at this point, and perhaps the best defensive prospect in the league (considering, of course, Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, etc., are already in the NHL).

Nothing is for sure, but right now Welch looks as good a defensive prospect as anyone.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
jmelm said:
Also, I'd say that Welch is more of a sure-thing at this point, and perhaps the best defensive prospect in the league

And thanks to you, Welch also wins the title of the most over-hyped prospect. Best defensive prospect in the entire league ? YIKES

leafaholix*

From the Leafs... Jarkko Immonen.

He's one of the top players in Finland... having a great season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Welch could certainly make a case for being the best blueline prospect in the NCAA.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Josh Harding is vastly underrated compared to his contempories. Up until this year no one heard of how good he was. Now he is starting to get some recognition but mainly from guys that watch the WHL.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
go pierre hedin said:
The best or the most underrated?

both

He's quickly getting overrated by Pens fans but his name is unknown throughout the league, mostly because of him not going pro until he graduates. Welch could have made the Penguins out of camp last year.

leafaholix*

I'd think that either Zach Parise or Thomas Vanek are the best players in the NCAA.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Couple of homer picks here, since thats basically what this thread has become; for the Stars, Jussi Jokinen. He's only 20 and is one of, if not the top prospect in Finland right now. Also, I dont know if we count prospects in the NHL right now...but if so, then anotherm homer pick to Trevor Daley. All I can say about him is he can flat out fly.

Randall Graves*

HABS456 said:
Who Is The Most Underestimated Prospect ?
Give Your Oppinion

I'm going with a homer pick and saying Corey Perry of the ducks...this guy is leading the OHL in scoring,has won player of the month and is leading one of the best teams in scoring which does account for something, there have been things written that he's soft and he may be but the kid has a nose for the net and he really gets no credit from anyone unless you see him.

I also think guys like Schremp have been underrated as well as Cory locke.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Loui Eriksson, Frölunda (drafted by Dallas, 2nd round 2003).

I knew he was pretty good, but not this good. Great potential.

Dr_Chimera*

jmelm said:
Welch's upside is a #1 all-star calibre dman. I don't know how much more upside you can have, short of being the next Bobby Orr, or something.

Also, I'd say that Welch is more of a sure-thing at this point, and perhaps the best defensive prospect in the league (considering, of course, Pitkanen, Bouwmeester, etc., are already in the NHL).

Nothing is for sure, but right now Welch looks as good a defensive prospect as anyone.

I disagree - I think you overrate him.

But that's fine - we can agree to disagree.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Dempsey said:
Jeremy Williams, Jeff Taffe, Kiril Koltsov, Jarkko Immonen, Eric Beaudoin, Ryan Suter, Garth Murray, Ryan Kesler.

There is no way you can include Beaudoin in your list especially if you've seen him play. I am a loyal panthers fan and definately don't think so. Although he's scoring goals in the A now, he is only a potential 3/4th line player. He is not very fast and does not have any major offensive tools. By hockeys future rating scale, I'd give him a 5.5/ 6

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
jmelm said:

Please stop, you're giving Pens fans a bad name. ;)

Robert Paulson*

Qubax said:
Who has Noah Welch..? Is he drafted?

Where is he playing now...?
Exactly why he's underestimated :)
Drafted by the Pens in 2001, and is playing for Harvard University right now.
And I wouldn't say he's a potential #1 all-star D-man, but certainly has the potential to be in the top pairing in a Defensively deep future Pittsburgh team (Welch, Whitney, Orpik, Bissonnette, Lupaschuk, Melichar, Roszival, Tarnstrom, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad