Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
3rd highest pts% of all current NHL head coaches
4th most games coached and wins of all current NHL head coaches
#1PP since 2016-2017 season
#9PK since 2016-2017 season
7th place leaguewide last year

But yeah okay overrated

Reactions: Allan92

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
On hfboards there are no good coaches only morons who make terrible decisions and have asterisks beside all of their accomplishments because everything is easy due to x, y and z.

All coaches are idiots, especially my team.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
On a serious note, Babcock is and always has been a winner. He gets the job done and does so everywhere he goes. If it was that easy, everyone could do it, yet very few can.

He is definitely not overrated.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Alain "I'm here to chew gum... and that's about it" Vigneault. He's not "in the league" currently, but he will be... and he sucks, but people think he's great because of Luongo/Lundqvist backstopping his career.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh, I know haters think they're trolling leafs fans, but they're not. Babcock is overrated and overplays scrubs.
Whiule I think Babcock is the correct answer, if you ask every fanbase in the NHL, there is some "scrub" they feel is being overplayed.

Bill Peters
How can he be overrated when the only fans that know much about him almost universally shit on him when he chose to leave? And the rest of the fans were like "durr look at the 'Canes record"

3rd highest pts% of all current NHL head coaches
4th most games coached and wins of all current NHL head coaches
#1PP since 2016-2017 season
#9PK since 2016-2017 season
7th place leaguewide last year

But yeah okay overrated
Considering he is widely considered the best coach in the NHL, those numbers don't scream best coach in the NHL. That is why he is being mentioned. Babcock is easily a top 5 coach in the NHL (probably top 3), but he often gets talked about like he is far and away the best coach in the NHL. This is why he is being mentioned as overrated. Overrated doesn't mean not good.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?

Whereas the coaches of other nations can rely on players that play together all the time?
The coaches of the US and Canada don't even have to unite players from different leagues. :huh:

Also, Canada's fourth line would be easily the top line in every other team at any given time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Babcock is a good coach. But for those that believe he is a great all around coach need to know his defensive coaching is overrated.

He basically coaches a run and gun system. As in this year's Leafs team.

His teams score alot, and get scored on a lot. It is obvious without a Hall of Fame D man like Lidstrom. Babcock defensive deficiencies are exposed. To a degree Andersen has been able to cover up.

Babcock's trading chances system has won only 1 cup in 15 years of coaching.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Who's coaching the Leafs? Probably him I'd imagine. They seem to be the most common answer to these kinda questions.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Taking over a team that has been tanking for over a decade must be really challenging.

The guy who "leads" the Sabres to 7th place in 3 or 4 years must be a real genius then.
They’ve been waiting for someone to do that for 5 years already

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Babcock has won a lot of games. I think hes gone the playoffs multiple seasons in a row. Hes not the best coach in the league but hes not overrated.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Babcock is a good coach. But for those that believe he is a great all around coach need to know his defensive coaching is overrated.

He basically coaches a run and gun system. As in this year's Leafs team.

His teams score alot, and get scored on a lot. It is obvious without a Hall of Fame D man like Lidstrom. Babcock defensive deficiencies are exposed. To a degree Andersen has been able to cover up.

Babcock's trading chances system has won only 1 cup in 15 years of coaching.

A run and gun system since he has the tools in Toronto, but the essence of his system is built on interference and stick work going back to his time in Detroit. The officials won't call everything.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
With the fanfare that was given to Babcock a couple years ago, I think the answer has to be him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A run and gun system since he has the tools in Toronto, but the essence of his system is built on interference and stick work going back to his time in Detroit. The officials won't call everything.
Babcock has built a career on interference and getting away with it. But also, it needs to be pointed out. His defensive coaching is not as good as one would believe from a coach of his caliber. His coaching does lead players to career offensive years as we have seen in Kadri. His run and gun systems do benefit his players stats.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd go with Babcock.

I think the world of his ability to mold young players into men, but tactically he's nothing to write home about.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Babcock has won a lot of games. I think hes gone the playoffs multiple seasons in a row. Hes not the best coach in the league but hes not overrated.
This statement cannot be true at this point in time.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Babcock consistently gets his teams to play up to expectations. When he coached a stacked Detroit team, they competed for cups. When they were a bubble team, they were round one and done. When he coached Canada, they won gold.

He's a future HOF'er and a top-5ish coach. People do tend to sing his praises like he's an infallible second coming of Bowman though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Taking over a team that has been tanking for over a decade must be really challenging.

The guy who "leads" the Sabres to 7th place in 3 or 4 years must be a real genius then.

LOL at including the Kessel trade years as "Tanking".

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I LOVE this topic. I would actually love to do a poll on this and most overrated goaltenders, but here's the things. The one's that are the most overrated coaches, would not be voted most overrated coaches, or else they wouldn't be overrated, right?

I think it's Boudreau. It probably used to be Todd McLellan, but most everyone now knows this coach is a fraud. I f***ing hate this guy as a coach, mostly because I always had to fend off a bunch of people on the Sharks forum who defended this jackass and some of them would imply that he was the reason those teams were so good. Seriously? f***in Howdy Doody couldn't have coached the Sharks to the conference finals those years and Presidents Trophy in 08-09? You couldn't any average head coach to take that Sharks team that far? That's an insult to the talent level of those teams. T-Mac is a loser coach and a fraud. He'll be fired by Edmonton soon if they flounder again this year, then some team like the Flyers will probably hire him.

Honestly though, Bruce Boudreau is probably still the most overrated, though he's probably lost a little bit of his overrated-ness over the last couple years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mclellan before the Oilers hired him and exposed him for the fraud he is.

Hitchcock was massively overrated if we are going back actually high rated coaches. Lets throw in Lemaire in the mix to make a complete **** sandwich.
Liking just for your burial of Loser Todd, but don't agree on Lemaire. Hitchcock was okay at one time. He's a dinosaur now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw like one mention of Boudreau in this thread. That tells me he might still be most overrated coach in the league. Because if he is overrated, he wouldn't get many mentions in this thread and he hasn't.

Last edited:

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
On hfboards there are no good coaches only morons who make terrible decisions and have asterisks beside all of their accomplishments because everything is easy due to x, y and z.

All coaches are idiots, especially my team.
I get the impression that things are measured simply in accomplishments; i.e. the winning coach being better than the losing one, the championship coach being better than the runner-up, etc. While in absolute terms, if a victory is the sole measure of coaching skill, this can be correct, it's not the sole measure of skill in coaching. Sometimes even a losing coach does a hell of a job.

While perhaps, as a Red Wings fan, I should be butt-hurt and try to discredit Babcock, I have to say he's one of the better ones in the league. All coaches have their biases as to player utilization - e.g. having the Hymans or Abdelkaders next to the top line talent - and this shouldn't make them complete idiots. Does him having a bias that every other coach has make him a bad coach? Does it erase the smarts in line matching and in-game adjustments in unit deployment that he does quite well? And he might also have quite a lot of other positive traits that we never get to see, unless we are playing for him.

As per the topic, I'm sorry, but I can't contribute a name that would be a shit coach. Maybe Tortorella, but even his apparent skill as a motivator sort of outshines his dinosaur-like ways. He's kind of like the modern-day Iron Mike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad