Speculation: Who is the most likely Bust this draft (top 10)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think Hughes has the highest ceiling and lowest floor, so I guess him.

Dahlin (and probably Svechnikov), I think, is a good bet for 'disappointment' (just because of high expectations), but it's hard to imagine him outright busting.

I hope Phoenix drafts Hughes. They are not far from turning the corner in a big way and he can follow in Kyle Connor's foot steps. I'm a huge Hughes fan, I simply think Detroit would be a no win situation for him. Phoenix is obviously fine with smaller players, Clayton Keller tore shit up for them this past season.

That just seems like a great fit.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Top 3 mostly to bust:

1. Hughes: Why? It would because his skills don't translate because of the massive jump in size and strength from the juniors to the professional game. He depends on having time and space to make his moves, it'll be interesting to see how he does when he's playing against men.

2. Bouchard: Why? He is the most likely (in my mind) to be an NHL player outside of the top 3. But the reason he would be a bust is because he looks like a guy who may end up not having the toolbox to put together everything he has and becomes a journeyman bottom 4/5/6 D-man. Anyone drafted in a draft this deep in the top three for their position should be a top line/pairing guy and he seems to be the gamble of 'safe to make it to the NHL, but not safe to be a top pairing guy if he does'.

3. Boqvist: Why? Literally the same reason everyone has stated; concussion history. Of the three he has the best tools on both sides of the puck, but concussions are scary and can end careers fast.

Of the three I'd most want Boqvist because I believe he has the best chance of being a top defender. Hughes feels like his ceiling is Rafalski and Bouchard feel like a middle pairing/2b kind of player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Top 3 mostly to bust:

1. Hughes: Why? It would because his skills don't translate because of the massive jump in size and strength from the juniors to the professional game. He depends on having time and space to make his moves, it'll be interesting to see how he does when he's playing against men.

2. Bouchard: Why? He is the most likely (in my mind) to be an NHL player outside of the top 3. But the reason he would be a bust is because he looks like a guy who may end up not having the toolbox to put together everything he has and becomes a journeyman bottom 4/5/6 D-man. Anyone drafted in a draft this deep in the top three for their position should be a top line/pairing guy and he seems to be the gamble of 'safe to make it to the NHL, but not safe to be a top pairing guy if he does'.

3. Boqvist: Why? Literally the same reason everyone has stated; concussion history. Of the three he has the best tools on both sides of the puck, but concussions are scary and can end careers fast.

Of the three I'd most want Boqvist because I believe he has the best chance of being a top defender. Hughes feels like his ceiling is Rafalski and Bouchard feel like a middle pairing/2b kind of player.
Hughes playing right now with man and against the man , he looks ok
Boqvist needs to learn how to be defender, as forward he is awesome

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hughes playing right now with man and against the man , he looks ok
Boqvist needs to learn how to be defender, as forward he is awesome

Boqvist is a good to great defender already.

And Hughes plays in the NCAA, which is no where near a men's league. There is good and bad points compared to the CHL, yeah some of the guys are bigger, but its also not a very physical league and the talent is either really good or meh. There isn't much between.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

And Hughes plays in the NCAA, which is no where near a men's league. There is good and bad points compared to the CHL, yeah some of the guys are bigger, but its also not a very physical league and the talent is either really good or meh. There isn't much between.

Boqvist is widely considered the worst defender of any of the defensemen slated to go top 10. Where are you getting your information?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Boqvist is widely considered the worst defender of any of the defensemen slated to go top 10. Where are you getting your information?
Hughes is considered the worst defender. He’s almost always labeled as a great offensive d man. No idea where you’re getting Boqvist is the lesser defender from but everything I’ve seen about Hughes says while his offense is great his defense is not nearly as far along.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hughes is considered the worst defender. He’s almost always labeled as a great offensive d man. No idea where you’re getting Boqvist is the lesser defender from but everything I’ve seen about Hughes says while his offense is great his defense is not nearly as far along.

That's funny because I've read a lot of opinions saying that Boqvist needs the most work in the defensive zone of the players in question, while Hughes' biggest concern would be if his size would limit his effectiveness playing defense, not that he can't play it.

Both of them are extremely offensive minded, so I think this is nitpicking when it comes to "who is worse," but to say Boqvist is "good to great defensively" is the most ridiculously inaccurate representation of him as a player. He is below average, flat out.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's funny because I've read a lot of opinions saying that Boqvist needs the most work in the defensive zone of the players in question, while Hughes' biggest concern would be if his size would limit his effectiveness playing defense, not that he can't play it.

Both of them are extremely offensive minded, so I think this is nitpicking when it comes to "who is worse," but to say Boqvist is "good to great defensively" is the most ridiculously inaccurate representation of him as a player. He is below average, flat out.

I should have written 'for his age' because he does the little things right. On bigger international ice (which can magnify gaffs) he has very good gap control, plays lanes well, and is willing to get physical and has shown ability to win on the boards. Of the three we are most likely to draft (Bouchard and Hughes the other two) he is the one, in my mind that has shown the most on his end of the ice. The reason I say this is Hughes hasn't been a world burner in a league that is the most defense oriented of the three, and Bouchard is a big dude, which in the CHL can allow a player a ton of latitude.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

I think he is talking about the world championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->