Who Is the League's Undisputed Chokemeister?

NHL's Undisputed Chokemeister

• Total voters

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

Not exactly amazing stats line, but .77 ppg in the playoffs and 15th most points since 1990 (completely arbitrary date) doesn't scream playoff choker either.

.77 PPG is an acceptable benchmark for your average 1st liner. When youre Joe Thornton, the expectations are a lot higher than .77 PPG.

He has the 15th most points because hes played a long time and the Sharks were a perennial playoff team, not because he’s like the 15th best PO performer. Also, using your arbitrary start date, he’s 2nd in RS points. 2nd to 15th is hardly something to be proud of, and hardly refutes the idea of him being a choker.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Brian Elliot has 5 post seasons under a .905sv% , including THREE post seasons under a .860%.

He had one good run with STL, but other than that it was essentially a guarantee you’re losing with him as your starter.
I'm glad you watched those series.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
@bobbyking @PuckSeparator@Yzerplan89
How is Seguin a choker
He's not my choice but he's had very little post season success after riding the coattails of a powerful Boston team in 2011 and has probably managed to escape some criticism for playing in a relatively low key market. Slightly disappointing would probably be more in line with my opinion, but as you can see most people agree with you.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Cody Eakin.
:laugh:

But in all seriousness, Marc-Andre Fleury reminded me last night of his prior history of completely collapsing in big moments. he made me forget about it last year, but I'll be damned if every shot didn't feel like it was gonna be a goal after Eakin's 5 minute... Not what you want to see from your keeper in a game 7.

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Marc-Andre Fleury takes the cake.

Also, give me Joe Thornton over Steven Stamkos any day of the week.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
John Tavares

He was just a punchline this year.....

download-13.png

Reactions: PuckSeparator

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Stamkos or Thornton. Kucherov and Vasy being options is dumb.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovie. Works hard puts up many points, passes, scores, hits. Caps still lose, year after year in same fashion. How do you put up 9 in 7 and still team loses?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

Not exactly amazing stats line, but .77 ppg in the playoffs and 15th most points since 1990 (completely arbitrary date) doesn't scream playoff choker either.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Thornton's points per game in the playoffs, it's his lack of ability to elevate his play when his team needs it the most. His career high of playoff goals in one season is three, which is insane, even for a setup guy. He's never won the Cup, been the star of many playoff letdowns, and has never had one very good playoff run (in all seasons where the Sharks played in 10+ playoff games, Thornton went point per game only once).

He's the king of choking and an easy choice here.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
kucherov has 61 points in 65 playoff games, 7th most on the active points per playoff game list among players with 50+ points

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Rinne dragged Nashville to the finals almost single-handedly in 2017.

Almost every shot he faced in the first two rounds came from above the faceoff circles, he had a very easy ride in 2017. If anything the team dragged him to the finals before he choked big time against Crosby and Malkin.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm surprised to see Stamkos leading this poll by a large margin, it's easily Thornton today AINEC. As another mentioned, he's had an entire career to establish this reputation, and what potentially career ending injury did Thornton ever have early in his prime? Stamkos had his leg snapped like a twig when he slid into the post off the rush to the net at the ripe young age of 23. Kid went from being a potential 50+ goal scorer on a yearly basis to struggling to hit 40. Not to mention he missed the majority of 2016-17 at age 26 due to another knee injury forcing him into surgery. Thornton has almost always had a decent team around him there in San Jose. They've made the playoffs every season except 2014-15 finishing first in their division 4 times, second 5 times, and third 4 times with eight seasons finishing over 100 points out of 14, 13 if you remove the lockout shortened season. Has anyone actually made an argument for Stamkos in this thread that isn't based on his entire team shitting the bed this post season? His healthiest seasons were before age 23..

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I'm surprised to see Stamkos leading this poll by a large margin, it's easily Thornton today AINEC. As another mentioned, he's had an entire career to establish this reputation, and what potentially career ending injury did Thornton ever have early in his prime? Stamkos had his leg snapped like a twig when he slid into the post off the rush to the net at the ripe young age of 23. Kid went from being a potential 50+ goal scorer on a yearly basis to struggling to hit 40. Not to mention he missed the majority of 2016-17 at age 26 due to another knee injury forcing him into surgery. Thornton has almost always had a decent team around him there in San Jose. They've made the playoffs every season except 2014-15 finishing first in their division 4 times, second 5 times, and third 4 times with eight seasons finishing over 100 points out of 14, 13 if you remove the lockout shortened season. Has anyone actually made an argument for Stamkos in this thread that isn't based on his entire team ****ting the bed this post season? His healthiest seasons were before age 23..

Someone like Forsberg makes Stamkos injury history look pedestrian still he didn't choke every playoffs. I would also have Thornton as #1 but Stammer is certainly up there.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Someone like Forsberg makes Stamkos injury history look pedestrian still he didn't choke every playoffs. I would also have Thornton as #1 but Stammer is certainly up there.

Players like Forsberg are practically unicorns in that he could still play at such a level even while clearly handicapped by injuries. In saying that though, they're different styles of players. Stamkos was a finisher in the mould of Ovechkin prior to his first major injury, whereas Forsberg was a gritty, highly-skilled play maker that took nobodies shit and did everything on the ice himself. Stamkos's first injury also coincided with his playmaking Allstar linemate being traded which clearly caused him some struggles in the next few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->